This creamy dreamy pumpkin pie smoothie is like pumpkin pie in drinkable form. Pure pumpkin puree is combined with banana, warming spices and a touch of maple syrup to create a silky smooth texture and incredible taste. This pumpkin smoothie is sure to be a fall favourite!
This pumpkin pie smoothie recipe was originally posted in August of 2016 but has been updated with new pictures, text and small recipe tweaks.
Who’s excited about fall? I know I am!
All the pumpkin! All the maple syrup! Bring on the cinnamon-infused drinks, maple syrup drizzled cakes and cookies for me!
Ok, ok, you can probably tell I love fall. Favourite season hands down.
I recently made delicious pumpkin muffins and opened up one of those huge cans of pumpkin puree. I had some leftover and wanted to make good use of it.
Being a huge fan of smoothies, I thought how could I use this puree in smoothie form. Then, I started thinking about the flavours that go with pumpkin. Classic combos of cinnamon and nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice came to mind. Boom! Pumpkin pie smoothie! Winner winner smoothie dinner or, um, somethin’ like that.
This pumpkin pie smoothie tastes like a treat, a drinkable dessert or dessert smoothie, and we regularly enjoy it during the fall season.
By the way, these pumpkin pie bites go great with this pumpkin smoothie!
Why We Love This Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- It’s a great way to use leftover pumpkin puree (yay for reducing food waste).
- Like most smoothies, it comes together in minutes.
- It’s such a fun way to enjoy a seasonal favourite at home.
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
What is Pumpkin Puree?
Pumpkin puree is exactly what it sounds like … pureed pumpkin. Nothing else.
The funny thing is that pumpkin puree in and of itself doesn’t have a lot of strong flavours.
What pumpkin puree does have, however, is a lovely silky, creamy texture. When you mix warming spices with it, now you’re onto something.
Don’t confuse pumpkin puree with pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling has other additives, like spices and sweeteners. Use pure pumpkin puree in this smoothie recipe.
Recipe Tips & Variations
Only two tablespoons of maple syrup were used for the two generous smoothies and the sweetness level was just right for me and hubby. Feel free to add more (or less).
Speaking of sweetener, if you don’t need this pumpkin pie smoothie to be vegan, try honey.
Oat milk was used here, but almond, soy or dairy (if you don’t need this to be a vegan pumpkin smoothie) are great alternatives.
Ensure you use a frozen banana. It helps create a silky smooth texture.
More Yummy Smoothie Recipes
- Blackberry Coconut Smoothie
- Creamy Orange and Vanilla Smoothie
- Peanut Butter, Banana and Cocoa Coffee Smoothie
Hope you love this pumpkin smoothie as much as we do!
If you make this pumpkin pie smoothie recipe, please leave a comment below. Love to hear how you enjoyed it!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (naturally sweetened)
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 frozen banana , cut into chunks
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or to taste, depending on how sweet you like things)
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (plus pinch for garnish, garnish optional)
- 1.5 cup oat milk (gluten-free oat milk for gluten free or almond milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings (garnish, optional. Opt for vegan chocolate to keep things vegan, if desired.)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until combined. Divide smoothie between two glasses. Garnish (if desired) with chocolate shavings and more pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.