If you’re looking for a smoothie that tastes kinda like a milkshake or dessert, try this chocolate peanut butter smoothie with banana! With the addition of espresso powder and protein powder, this smoothie is incredibly rich in flavour and makes for a delicious breakfast or snack!
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie recipe was originally posted in January of 2017, but has been updated with new pictures and recipe details.
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie hits very milkshake-like notes and tastes kinda like a dessert smoothie.
It’s probably because of the frozen bananas emulating that creamy ice-cream cocoa powder giving that rich chocolate taste.
A little while back I started to get so tired of my regular ol’ breakfast. So, I had to mix things up.
I don’t know about you guys, but every single time I head out the door I have an arm-load of stuff.
In the morning, I take a smoothie, coffee and water. Three drinks! Yes, three!
Anywho, I thought ‘how about I add that coffee flavour to a smoothie?’
‘Boom’ one less thing to carry! Brilliant, huh? Not that brilliant, but it does taste dang delicious!! It makes for a wonderful breakfast smoothie, post workout smoothie or snack.
Like any smoothie, you just throw all the ingredients in a blender, whiz up and serve. Nothing to it, right? Now don’t ya want one?
Why this Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie is Great!
- Minutes to whip up
- Gluten free
- Naturally sweetened
- Dairy free
- Can easily be doubled
- Makes for an easy breakfast or snack
- Tastes AMAZING!!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Do I Have to Use Protein Powder?
Not at all! You can omit should you wish and the smoothie will still tastes delicious.
Can I Use Dairy?
Of course! You can use non dairy options like almond milk, soy milk or oat milk. Alternatively, use your favourite dairy milk.
Tip: For a super treat (and to make things ultra chocolatey), opt for chocolate milk (or sub out some of the regular with chocolate).
More Tips & Variations
Opt for ‘natural’ peanut butter to better control the sweetness
‘Peanut butter’ flavoured protein powder was used, but chocolate would work as well.
Speaking of protein powder, to keep this smoothie vegan, opt for a plant based or vegan protein powder.
Use frozen bananas as this helps create a thick, lush and milkshake-like consistency to the smoothie. These are some tips on how to freeze bananas.
If you need to thin things out, add a little more milk.
If you want things sweeter, add some maple syrup to taste
Hope you love this coffee infused protein smoothie as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment and rating below. Many thanks!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie (with banana)
- 2 frozen bananas , cut up
- 2 cups almond milk (or your favourite milk)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter ('heaping' tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (or more to taste)
- 1 to 2 scoops peanut butter protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- maple syrup (optional, to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Portion into glasses. Enjoy!Note: If you want things sweeter, add in some maple syrup to taste.
- Opt for ‘natural’ peanut butter to better control the sweetness
- ‘Peanut butter’ flavoured protein powder was used, but chocolate would work as well.
- Speaking of protein powder, to keep this smoothie vegan, opt for a plant based or vegan protein powder.
- Use frozen bananas as this helps create a thick, lush and milkshake-like consistency to the smoothie.
- If you need to thin things out, add a little more milk.
- If you want things sweeter, add some maple syrup to taste