These Vegan Black Bean Burgers are fibre and flavour rich! They’re made with pantry staples and freeze really well for days when you are too busy to prepare dinner. Garnish them to your tastes with ingredients like red onion, tomato and avocado. They make for one yummy meatless dinner!
Hey everyone! How was your weekend? Doesn’t it always go a little too fast? We ordered a new exercise bike (a spin cycle) which is arriving today. I plan on mixing up my exercise regime with a circuit kinda thing – some treadmill, rowing and then cycle. Maybe some squats in between. I’m actually looking pretty forward to it! What do you like to do?
I love to work out because I also love to eat (story of my freakin’ life, lol). Gotta have balance, am I right? Did ya indulge too over the past couple of days? Tell me I’m not the only one. Get yourself back on track with these easy vegan black bean burgers. They can be prepped in advance and fried up just before you want to enjoy ’em so they are awesome for when you are meal prepping for the week ahead.
Ingredients for Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers
I opted to keep these black bean burgers on the easy side. They are simply made with a few pantry staples, not a lot of filler. There’s black beans, of course, a little bit of oats, green onion, bell pepper, lime and lots of spices! Like it a little spicier? Add a little more heat to the mix! You do you 😉
Benefits of Black Beans – why are they so great?
- Black beans taste delicious!
- They are super versatile! They can be used for burgers (like here), soups ,dips, and lettuce wraps.
- Black beans are loaded with fibre and vitamins.
- Like most beans, they are inexpensive (woot woot).
Tips for Making these Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- Ensure that the black beans are well drained and even patted dry of excess moisture before using in this recipe.
- Don’t overly process the beans. You don’t want ’em too ‘mushy’.
- If your bean patty mixture is too wet, add a little more oats, about a tablespoon or so at a time until they are easy to form into patties.
- After the veggie burgers are formed, freeze for a little. This makes them way easier to handle when cooking.
- I always prefer to use a cast iron pan when cooking these black bean burgers.
- Fry these black bean burgers in batches (two at a time) and add a little oil for each batch.
- If you like, you can add a little more seasoning (aka salt and pepper) before you fry these burgers.
- These burgers freeze really well. You can prepare, place on a sheet pan and freeze for when you want to enjoy them later.
- Don’t want to enjoy these as a burger? They are delicious fried up with a poached egg on top for breakfast.
How to Garnish Black Bean Burgers – the options are limitless!
- Avocado (obviously 😉 )
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Pickle slices
- Cheese (use vegan cheese if you want to keep this burger straight up vegan).
- BBQ Sauce
- Vegan mayo mixed with sriracha (yum) or adobo sauce (equally yum)
Other Easy Black Bean Recipes you may Love
- Black Bean and Tofu Scramble Lettuce Wraps
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup with Avocado Creama
- Easy Black Bean Dip
- Spiced Black Bean and Sweet Potato Balls
Hope you love these homemade Vegan Black Bean Burgers! Try ’em! I’m sure you won’t miss the meat at all 😉
Don’t forget to subscribe below to stay in the loop on all the latest recipes!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you think these Vegan Black Bean Burgers will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button down below.
Black Bean Burgers
These Vegan Black Bean Burgers are fibre and flavour rich! They're made with pantry staples and freeze really well for days when you are too busy to prepare dinner. Garnish them to your tastes with ingredients like red onion, tomato and avocado. They make for one yummy meatless dinner!
- 2 19 oz cans black beans -rinsed & drained (I used unsalted variety)
- 1 lime -juiced, about 1/4 cup
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 stalks green onion -chopped
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 bell pepper -small dice, about 1/2 cup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- burger buns
- red onion
Reserve 1/2 cup black beans and lay to one side. Add remaining beans to food processor, along with lime juice, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, oregano, salt and pepper and blitz until almost smooth, but still some beans left. Remove from processor and place in a large bowl.
To bean mixture add reserved half cup of beans, green onion, oats and bell pepper. Stir to combine. Using a round standard ice-cream scoop, form into patties, with each patty being about a scoop and half (roughly).
Place patties on wax paper lined tray and freeze for 45 minutes.
Remove patties from freezer. In a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium low heat add 1 tbsp olive oil. Season burgers with a little extra salt (if desired). Cooking two burgers at a time, cook about 3 minutes per side. Remove. Cook remaining batches (1 tbsp of olive oil per batch). Place on toasted bun and garnish as desired. Enjoy!