This easy black bean dip recipe is creamy, packed full of flavour from chipotle and cumin, and can be made in about 10 minutes! It’s delicious with chips or even as a spread for a wrap or sandwich. You’re gonna want to make this bean dip over and over again!
Hey everyone! If you know me, you know that I’m obsessed with beans. I know that’s an odd thing to be obsessed with but, what can I say? I just love them!
Beans make for such an easy base to recipes, are loaded with good-for-ya stuff, they taste great and are pretty inexpensive. What’s not to love?
One of my favourite things to use black beans for is this black bean dip recipe. I legit make this bean dip about every week. It’s so handy to have in the fridge when the hunger bug strikes and, honestly, pretty healthy so I don’t mind diving in for a little bite before dinner.
Enjoy bean dips? Check out this white bean dip!
Why We Love This Black Bean Dip
- Aside from garnish, this canned black bean dip uses mostly pantry ingredients.
- It can be customized to taste with garnish.
- This dip can be made in about 10 minutes.
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
The base of this black bean dip recipe is super duper simple and you probably have all the ingredients on hand. Ingredients are:
- Black beans
- Yogurt (or sour cream)
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Chipotle peppers (or smoked paprika or chipotle powder for a little heat)
- Salt, pepper and cumin
- Corn (frozen or fresh)
I garnished with a bunch of veggies, chili pepper, cilantro and chili oil, but that is totally optional! You do what you enjoy best (or use whatever you have on hand).
This black bean dip is super flavourful and always disappears quickly. No worries, you could whip up another batch just as fast!
How To Make This Recipe
You won’t believe how easy it is to make this bean dip recipe. No need to grab store-bought dips anymore! Grab a few simple ingredients, mix ’em up, put into a serving dish, garnish and devour!
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Place rinsed and drained black beans in a food processor.
- To beans, add Greek yogurt.
- Pour in fresh lime juice.
- Pour in olive oil.
- Add chipotle peppers.
- Stir in seasoning.
- Minced garlic is added next. Process everything until combined.
- Stir in corn with a spatula.
- Pour the black bean dip into a serving bowl and garnish to taste with your favourite toppings.
The possibilities are endless here and there’s no right or wrong. If you don’t like a certain garnish or really love one, omit or add as much as you like. Some yummy garnish ideas are:
- Diced tomato
- Sliced green onion
- Chili flakes or sliced chili pepper
- Diced bell pepper
- Chili olive oil (or regular olive oil)
Tips and Variations
- Don’t have Greek yogurt on hand? Use sour cream!
- Don’t have chipotles in adobo sauce? Use a chipotle powder or smoked paprika. Don’t have that? Use freshly minced or sliced chili pepper or chili flakes (though, you won’t have that same smoky heat).
- Like things more or less spicy? Adjust the spice to taste.
- I make this corn and black bean dip a couple of ways. Originally I garnished with corn. In this updated version, I put the corn in the dip. You do what you enjoy best!
- If you opt for frozen corn, thaw and squeeze any excess moisture before using. Similarly, if you use canned corn, drain before use.
More Dip Recipes You May Enjoy
If you make this easy black bean dip, be sure to leave a comment below!
This recipe was originally published in June of 2017 but has been updated.
Black Bean Dip Recipe
Black Bean Dip
- 1 (19-ounce) can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice, from about 1.5 to 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup corn kernels
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Tomato, diced
- Bell pepper, diced
- Chili pepper, sliced (or crushed red pepper flakes)
- Green onion, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Drizzle of chili flavoured or regular olive oil
- Combine black beans, Greek yogurt, lime juice, olive oil, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, cumin, salt, black pepper and garlic in a food processor. Process until smooth and combined (stop to scrape side of processor with a rubber spatula, if necessary).
- Stir in corn with a spatula (rather than using your processor, that way you'll have some texture in your dip). You can also reserve some for garnish (if desired).
- Transfer dip to a serving bowl and garnish to taste (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Serve with chips or veggie sticks (also delicious as a spread on a sandwich or wrap). Enjoy!Note: Enjoy immediately or properly store in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
Nutrition (estimate only)
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!