Take roasted fingerling potatoes to the next level with the addition of some simple, but flavourful, ingredients like pesto, garlic, chili and parmesan. These pesto potatoes are incredibly easy to prepare and would make for a delicious vegetable side dish the whole family will love!
Today I’m sharing another easy potato recipe with you guys.
What can I say?
It’s the season for all the yummy sides, am I right?
While I do love the classics (helloooo garlic mash), these roasted fingerling potatoes are something extra special.
There’s hardly any prep work, but the end result is deeeeeelish!
When potatoes are roasted with pesto, the pesto gets kinda caramelly and just straight up scrumptious.
Trust me, those little brown bits are the bits ya wanna be eating.
Plus, ‘pesto potatoes’ are kinda fun to say, don’t ya think?
What’s Needed for Pesto Potatoes
- Fingerling potatoes
- Parmesan cheese (the real deal parmesan, not the powdered stuff)
- Your favourite pesto, either store-bought or homemade pesto
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Chili flakes
- And any garnish you enjoy, like parsley
Can I Use Another Potato Instead of Fingerling?
Fingerling potatoes were used, but you could opt for baby potatoes (red, purple or yellow), or even your favourite larger variety of potato (like Russet or Yukon Gold) and cut into chunks.
How to Make ‘Em
- Clean your fingerling potatoes and remove any odd bits. Cut in half lengthwise. There’s no need to peel these.
- Give the potatoes are little pat with a clean tea towel or paper towel to remove excess moisture Then, toss with parmesan, pesto, oil, garlic, salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Place the potatoes cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, carefully turn the potatoes and roast for another 15 minutes or until they’re fork tender.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Ever have fries (or even fried chicken) and you get those little extra crispy bits, maybe in the bottom of the package?
Those are what I go for.
And these roasted fingerling potatoes get all kinds of crispy bits….
See what I’m sayin’?
Make It A Meal!
Round things out with a main dish. Any of these would be lovely –
- Honey Mustard Salmon – This one is perfectly portioned for two people, but you could easily double. Plus, it’s made on one sheet pan. Pop it in the oven right alongside your pesto potatoes!
- Ground Turkey Burger – Super easy to prepare and you can garnish to taste….always a favourite!
- Vegan Sloppy Joes – Made in about 20 minutes with a veggie ‘meat’ and lentils, this twist on a classic goes so good with a veggie side.
- Crispy Fish Burger – Panko coated cod topped with homemade tartar sauce and slaw. Instead of having with fries, try these delicious roasted potatoes instead!
Tips & Variations for Making This Potato Side Dish
If you want vegan potatoes, ensure you use a vegan pesto (like this vegan pesto from Food52) and omit the parmesan.
Upon serving, a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice would be lovely. Instead of fries and vinegar, think roasted potatoes and punchy lemon.
Like mentioned above, opt for another variety of potato if you don’t have fingerling potatoes on hand or prefer to use something else.
Use a large enough baking sheet so the potatoes are spread out. Don’t pile them on top of each other because they’ll ‘sweat’ rather than roast.
Don’t have parsley to garnish or rather not use? Omit or use chopped chives or green onion instead.
More Easy Vegetable Sides You May Enjoy
- Whipped Sweet Potatoes – Using some simple ingredients, these ultra creamy sweet potatoes are sure to be a favourite!
- Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe – Using a variety of root veggies and plenty of fresh herbs, this is a delicious side for Sunday supper, a weekday dinner or any special meal.
- Mashed Turnip (rutabaga) – With brown butter and roasted garlic this root veggie side dish is jam packed with savoury flavour. So good!
Hope you love this fingerling potato recipe as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make these pesto potatoes? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Pesto Potatoes (roasted fingerling potatoes)
- 1.5 pounds fingerling potatoes , cut in half, lengthwise
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese , grated (plus more for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red chili flakes
- fresh parsley , roughly chopped (garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Pat dry of any excess moisture with a clean tea towel or paper towel. Toss with remaining ingredients.
- Spread out onto a 9" x 13" (or larger) sheet pan (cut side down). Roast 20 minutes.
- Carefully turn and roast another 15 or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and more parmesan cheese, if desired. Yields 4 larger servings or 6 smaller ones. Enjoy!
- If you want vegan potatoes, ensure you use a vegan pesto and omit the parmesan.
- Upon serving, a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice would be lovely. Instead of fries and vinegar, think roasted potatoes and punchy lemon.
- Like mentioned above, opt for another variety of potato if you don’t have fingerling potatoes on hand or prefer to use something else.
- Use a large enough baking sheet so the potatoes are spread out. Don’t pile them on top of each other because they’ll ‘sweat’ rather than roast.
- Don’t have parsley to garnish or rather not use? Omit or use chopped chives or green onion instead.
- Nutrition information (estimate only) based on 4 servings.