Looking for an easy sandwich recipe for lunch or to take along a fun summer picnic? This chicken and prosciutto sandwich is piled high with delicious toppings that will make your belly do a happy dance! There’s a little sweetness from peaches, some savoury flavour from crispy prosciutto and chicken (and a whole lot of tasty).
As we’re officially into summer, peach season and most definitely picnic season, today I’m sharing a scrumptious crispy prosciutto sandwich with chicken, peach and basil (oh, and a little balsamic reduction for good measure). A toasted sandwich never tasted so good!
This sandwich pairs wonderfully with frozen strawberry lemonade, may I add.
Why We Love This Prosciutto Sandwich
- There’s juicy chicken breast
- Crispy, salty prosciutto
- Creamy mozzarella
- Sweet peach
- Savoury, aromatic basil
- Balsamic reduction
Sounds yummy, right?
What Is Prosciutto?
Prosciutto is a type of Italian dry cured ham typically made from the leg of pork. It takes anywhere from months to years to make (cure) and it really is an art.
Prosciutto is buttery, a little salty and completely delicious! You can typically find it in the deli section of your supermarket and it’s often sold pre-packaged, thinly sliced.
I definitely didn’t grow up eating prosciutto, but hubby and I regularly enjoy it these days because it’s just so versatile (and, of course, tasty).
Other Ways To Enjoy Prosciutto
Besides on a chicken prosciutto sandwich, some other delicious ways to use prosciutto are:
- With charcuterie boards
- Melon salads with mozzarella or bocconcini
- Wrapped around asparagus and dunked in jammy eggs
- Wrapped around stuffed chicken breasts
- On pizza
- And so much more!
Tips and Variations
- Use store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time.
- Don’t have balsamic reduction on hand? Try a drizzle of honey.
- Swap out apple or pear for the peach.
- Arugula works lovely instead of basil
- Like a little spice? Add some chili flakes to your sandwich.
- I kept the chicken breast really simple with just a little salt and pepper. Feel free to season with some Italian seasoning if you like.
- For something a little different, mix up the cheese. Try using brie cheese instead of mozzarella. Super yummy too!
What To Serve With This Sandwich
Looking for some sides to round out your meal? This chicken prosciutto sandwich would pair lovely with any of these:
More Yummy Sandwich Recipes
If you make this yummy chicken and prosciutto sandwich, be sure to leave a comment below!
Chicken Prosciutto Sandwich
- 8 ounces boneless and skinless chicken breast
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper, for the chicken breast and mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 slices prosciutto, about 50 grams or about 1.5 to 2 ounces
- 4 slices sandwich bread, use your favourite bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into slices
- 1 peach, pitted and sliced
- few leaves fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic reduction, or honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken breast on a sheet pan (or in a cast-iron pan). Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the chicken breast for 23 to 25 minutes or until it's fully cooked through (the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit when checked with an instant-read meat thermometer). Once cooked, transfer the chicken breast to a plate to rest (while you are preparing the rest of your sandwich) before slicing. Alternatively, you can use store-bought cooked rotisserie chicken to save time.Note: Depending on the thickness of the chicken, you may have to cook longer. To check the internal temperature of the chicken, insert an instant-read meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, all the way to the middle. Remove the thermometer from the chicken after checking the temperature.
- Meanwhile, while the chicken is cooking, crisp prosciutto by placing in a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat, cooking until crispy (just a few minutes), turning once. Watch because it can burn quickly. Alternatively, you can place in the oven with the chicken during the last 5 to 8 minutes of cook time or until the prosciutto reaches your desired doneness. Again, watch carefully, because prosciutto can burn quickly!
- Toast bread and smear mayonnaise on one side of all 4 slices of bread.
- Distribute mozzarella and a pinch of black pepper between 2 of those slices of bread (over mayonnaise).
- On top of mozzarella, distribute cooked chicken, then crispy prosciutto, peach slices, basil and balsamic reduction. Top with remaining slices of bread (mayonnaise side on the inside) to form the two sandwiches. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!