Have leftover turkey? This turkey cranberry sandwich is your answer! This grilled cheese sandwich combines lots of turkey, tart cranberry sauce, creamy goat cheese and melty mozzarella for one comforting bite!
Today I’m bringing you a fabulous turkey sandwich recipe using leftover turkey.
Full disclosure here … I can’t take full credit for this turkey cranberry sandwich. Nope. The idea came from my lovely sister-in-law.
I told her about my ham and brie sandwich before I shared it here on Girl Heart Food; she then told me about an awesome turkey cranberry sandwich she had in a coffee shop. I knew I had to try it out. And, yes, most of the conversations I have with people revolve around food.
Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese sandwich recipe? And, a good leftover turkey sandwich? What a marriage of the two!
This one really stands out. Even though the mozzarella is tremendously good, the star for me cheese-wise is the goat cheese. It adds such a delicious flavour to this grilled cheese sandwich.
Turkey has got to be at the tip top of my fave proteins and I love having leftovers whenever we roast one.
Sometimes the recipes using leftover turkey are better than the original. I mean, turkey pasta, turkey panini, turkey soup, cold turkey with Dijon mustard (so good) and turkey sandwiches, like this epic turkey cranberry sandwich.
The Cranberry Sauce
You can certainly use canned cranberry sauce in this turkey cranberry sandwich.
You know that wobbly, jelly can-o-goodness?
It slurps out in one big blob. Yeah, that. Some people love that stuff, others not so much.
I happen to enjoy it (yes, certain old school classics will always hold a place in my heart).
If you want to make to make homemade cranberry sauce, feel free to do so! Either way, this turkey cranberry sandwich will still be delicious!
Tips for Making This Grilled Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- If you want your mozzarella a little more melty you can place the sandwich in the oven after grilling for a few minutes on 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Want more or less of an ingredient? Go for it!
- Use whatever bread is your fave. For this sandwich, I used sourdough.
- The size of the slices you choose will impact how much mayonnaise and butter you use. I had some decent-sized slices of bread and what I used for this recipe was just right.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mortadella Sandwich
- Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
How do you like to enjoy leftover turkey? Do tell!
If you make this turkey cranberry sandwich, be sure to leave a comment below!
Cheesy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices sourdough sandwich bread, or your favourite sandwich bread
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- handful baby spinach, about 1 cup (optional)
- 5 ounces cooked turkey, cut into bite-sized pieces or shredded
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin slices (or ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spread mayonnaise evenly over one side of all 4 slices of bread.
- On top of 2 of the slices, top mayonnaise with goat cheese. Spread cranberry sauce over goat cheese and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Top cranberry sauce with a few leaves of baby spinach.
- Top spinach with cooked turkey, then mozzarella. Top with remaining slices of bread (the mayonnaise side on the inside) to form the two sandwiches.
- Butter the exterior of each sandwich (all four bread slices).
- Heat a cast-iron griddle pan (or regular cast-ion pan) over medium low to medium heat.
- Place sandwiches in the pan. Cook the sandwiches on one side for about 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwiches to the other side and continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes or until they're golden brown and crispy on the outside and the cheese is nice and melted inside. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!