Have leftover turkey? This turkey cranberry sandwich is your answer! This grilled cheese sandwich combines lots of turkey, tart cranberry sauce, creamy goat cheese and melty mozzarella for one comforting bite!
Today I’m bringing you a fabulous turkey sandwich recipe using leftover turkey.
Full disclosure here … I can’t take full credit for this turkey cranberry sandwich. Nope. The idea came from my lovely sister-in-law.
I told her about my ham & brie sandwich before I shared it here on Girl Heart Food; she then told me about an awesome turkey cranberry sandwich she had in a coffee shop. I knew I had to try it out. And, yes, most of the conversations I have with people revolve around food.
Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese sandwich recipe? And, a good leftover turkey sandwich? What a marriage of the two!
This one really stands out. Even though the mozzarella is tremendously good, the star for me cheese-wise is the goat cheese. It adds such a delicious flavour to this grilled cheese sandwich.
Turkey has got to be at the tip top of my fave proteins and I love having leftovers whenever we roast one.
Sometimes the recipes using leftover turkey are better than the original. I mean, turkey pasta, turkey panini, turkey soup, cold turkey with Dijon mustard (so good) and turkey sandwiches, like this epic turkey cranberry sandwich.
How to Make Cranberry Sauce
You can certainly use canned cranberry sauce in this turkey cranberry sandwich.
You know that wobbly, jelly can-o-goodness?
It slurps out in one big blob. Yeah, that. Some people love that stuff, others not so much.
I happen to enjoy it (yes, certain old school classics will always hold a place in my heart), but this time I made an easy cranberry sauce that literally took minutes to make. How did I make it?
- Place 2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries in a heavy bottomed pot on medium heat
- Add 1 cup of water or orange juice (or a combo of both)
- Then, add ¼ cup or more (depending on how sweet you like it). Note: I don’t like things too sweet so you may want to add more. You do you!
- Stir, bring to a low simmer, and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until mixture has thickened (stir every couple of minutes so it doesn’t burn/stick). You can have this as ‘clumpy’ or as smooth as you like. I like to leave a little texture in mine.
- The cranberry sauce will thicken further as it cools in the fridge
- Easy, right?
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Tips for Making this Grilled Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
If you want your mozzarella a little more ‘melty’ you can place the sandwich in the oven after grilling for a few minutes on 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Want more or less of an ingredient? Go for it!
Use whatever bread is your fave. For this sandwich, I used sourdough.
Speaking of bread, the size of the slices you choose will impact how much mayo and butter you use. I had some decent-sized slices of bread and what I used for this recipe was just right.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Caramelized Onion & Pear Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mortadella Sandwich
- Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
Hope you love this turkey cranberry sandwich as much as we do!
How do you like to enjoy leftover turkey? Do tell!
If you make this turkey cranberry sandwich, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Turkey Cranberry Sandwich (cheesy and delicious!)
- 4 slices sourdough sandwich bread (or your favourite bread)
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- pinch black pepper
- handful baby spinach (optional)
- 5 ounces cooked turkey , cut into bite-sized pieces or shredded
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella , cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spread mayo evenly on 4 slices of bread.
- On top of 2 of the slices, top mayo with goat cheese. Spread cranberry sauce and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Top cranberry sauce with a few leaves of baby spinach.
- Top spinach with cooked turkey and then mozzarella. Then, top with other slice of bread to form your sandwiches.
- Butter exterior of bread slices.
- Heat a griddle pan or non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add sandwiches and cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy on the outside and the cheese is nice and melted inside. Enjoy!
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.