This easy mortadella sandwich is one delicious Italian sandwich piled high on toasty bread with arugula, juicy tomato, banana peppers, roasted pepper, cheese and thinly sliced red onion. Shake up your lunch routine with one epic, belly-satisfying sandwich!
Hi everyone! Have a good weekend? We did a few odds and ends around the house and a little relaxing too. Just what the weekend should be about, right?
The weather still hasn’t warmed up, but I’m still optimistic that a warm breeze will blow our way. I have all my summer shoes out of hibernation and ready to wear. Plus, I even made a homemade body scrub to get my little feet in tip top shape.
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a pic in my stories from a couple weeks ago. You may have also seen me being silly this past weekend with my camera filter, LOL.
Anyway, onto this mortadella sandwich!
This easy lunch recipe is something hubby and I regularly enjoy, usually for a quick weekday dinner with soup or a hearty lunch on the weekend.
What Is Mortadella?
Mortadella is basically Italian luncheon meat made from pork and originating from Bologna, Italy. I lovingly call it “Italian bologna.”
This recipe is like an ultimate bologna sandwich! I love it on a sandwich for lunch or dinner (of course), but serve it on a breakfast sandwich with a fried egg? Heavenly!
What I love about this mortadella sandwich is all the flavour-packed ingredients that go along with it, especially the roasted red pepper and red onion.
I love raw onion on a sandwich or burger. Don’t get me wrong, I do love caramelized or cooked onions too, but the pungent raw onion is so good. Though, it may not be your best choice on a first date or something.
Tips for Making This Delicious Sandwich
- Use a good quality, crusty bread and toast well.
- I use light mortadella in this recipe, but you could also use the regular version.
- Fold over each slice of mortadella, rather than layer on the sandwich. It gives a nice look and texture to the sandwich.
- Dab the banana peppers and roasted red pepper with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- I use cheddar cheese, but provolone or Asiago would work lovely too.
- The instructions for this Italian sandwich makes one sandwich. Making for more than one person? Just adjust the ingredients accordingly.
What To Serve With a Mortadella Sandwich
Looking for sides? Any of these pair great with this sandwich:
- Black olives
- Pickled green beans (have you tried? Yummy!)
- Pickled onions
- Potato chips
More Easy Lunch Recipes
- Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- Oven Baked Fish Tacos
- Tofu Scramble Lettuce Wraps
Hope you love this luncheon meat sandwich as much as we do! It’s such a great lucnch.
If you make this mortadella sandwich recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
- 2 slices sandwich bread, use your favourite variety
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup baby arugula, or to taste
- 2 to 3 slices tomato
- 5 to 6 pickled sliced banana peppers
- ½ roasted red pepper
- sliced cheddar cheese, to taste
- 3 to 4 slices red onion
- 3 to 4 slices mortadella, light or regular variety
- Toast bread. Spread mayonnaise over one side of one slice and mustard over one side of the other slice.
- Top one of the slices of bread with arugula, tomato, banana peppers, roasted red pepper, cheddar cheese, red onion and mortadella. Place the other slice of bread over top to form the sandwich. Serve and enjoy!Note: Pat the hot peppers and roasted red pepper dry of excess moisture with some paper towel before building your sandwich.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!