This easy Mortadella Sandwich is one delicious Italian sandwich piled high on toasty bread with arugula, juicy tomato, banana peppers, roasted pepper, cheese and thinly sliced red onion. Shake up your lunch routine with one epic, belly satisfying sandwich!
Hey everyone! Have a good weekend? We did a few odds and ends around the house and a lil’ relaxing too. Just what the weekend should be about, right? The weather still hasn’t warmed up, but I’m still optimistic that a warm breeze will blow our way. I have all my summer shoes out of hibernation and ready to wear. Plus, I even made a homemade body scrub to get my little feet in tip top shape. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a pic in my stories from a couple weeks ago. You may have also seen me being silly this past weekend with my camera filter, lol.
That homemade body scrub is crazy easy, by the way. Make your own – basically, all you need is organic coconut oil and sugar. Use two parts oil to one part sugar, mix together and place in a cute jar. Rub it on, rinse off (and make sure you soap up that shower after, too, cause that stuff is slippery). It smells AMAZING and works wonders! Plus, it’s all natural!
Anywho, onto the food! This easy lunch recipe is something hubby and I regularly enjoy, usually for a quick weekday dinner with soup or a hearty lunch on the weekend.
Mortadella Sandwich – What is Mortadella Anyway?
Mortadella is basically Italian luncheon meat made from pork and originating from Bologna, Italy. I lovingly call it ‘Italian bologna’. This recipe is like an ultimate bologna sandwich! I love mortadella on a sandwich for lunch or dinner (of course), but serve it on a breakfast sandwich with a fried egg? Heavenly! Mortadella, is there anything you don’t taste good on?
What I love about this Mortadella sandwich (besides my love of mortadella) is all the flavour packed ingredients that go along with it, especially the roasted red pepper and red onion. I LOVE raw onion on a sandwich or burger. Don’t get me wrong, I do love caramelized or cooked onions too, but the pungent raw onion is SO good. Though, it may not be your best choice on a first date or something, lol.
Tips for making this delicious Italian Sandwich
- Use a good quality, crusty bread and toast well
- I used ‘light’ mortadella in this recipe, but you could also use the regular version
- Speaking of mortadella, I folded over each slice rather than layer on the sandwich. I prefer the look and texture that folding gives.
- Dab the banana peppers and roasted red pepper with a paper towel to remove excess moisture
- I used cheddar cheese, but provolone or asiago would work lovely too
- The instructions for this mortadella sandwich recipes makes one sandwich. Making for more than one person? Just adjust the ingredients accordingly.
What to Serve with this Mortadella Sandwich? My faves are:
- black olives
- pickled green beans (have you tried?? Yummy!)
- pickled onions (me, with the onion again).
- potato chips
- a big ol’ kosher pickle
Other Easy Lunch Recipes you may Love
- Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- Oven Baked Fish Tacos
- Black Bean and Tofu Scramble Lettuce Wraps
Hope you love this Mortadella Sandwich as much as I do!
Don’t forget to subscribe below to stay in the loop on all the latest recipes!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
P.S. If you think this Mortadella Sandwich will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
- 2 slices your favourite bread
- 2 teaspoons light mayo
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 to 4 slices mortadella (I used 'light')
- 1/2 roasted red pepper
- 2 to 3 slices tomato
- 3 to 4 slices red onion
- 5 to 6 pickled hot peppers (or to taste)
- cheddar cheese , sliced
- baby arugula (to taste)
- Toast bread. Spread mayo on one slice and mustard on the other.
- Top one slice with arugula, tomatoes, hot pepper, roasted red pepper, cheese, red onion and mortadella. Place other piece of bread on top. Enjoy!