Looking for an awesome salad to bring to a summer bbq? Look no further! This is the best potato salad recipe (if you ask me!) Chunks of baby red potato are mixed with loads of crispy bacon, crunchy pickle, cheese, chopped egg and a few other ingredients. This deliciousness is then tossed in a creamy mixture made with mayo, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar and dill. Sounds good, right? This potato salad will disappear fast!
The Best Potato Salad = Simple, Tasty Ingredients
What makes for the best potato salad? Simple, tasty ingredients. Nothing complicated and I like that. This chunky potato salad is like a classic potato salad amped up. It has a few extra ingredients than you may normally find, but nothing complicated and probably ingredients you already have on hand. I always say that good food doesn’t have to be complicated, just tasty. Once you make this easy potato salad recipe, there’s no going back – it’ll be your go-to!
What’s the Best Type of Potato for Potato Salad?
I love to use red baby potatoes for homemade potato salad. They have thin skins and are not too starchy. And because they are thin-skinned, I always love to leave the skin on (actually, usually for all potato recipes I do that). I enjoy the little bit of texture its gives. Just make sure the potatoes are scrubbed clean and picked over before using.
Another reason why I love using baby red potatoes in this salad is because when they are boiled, they retain their shape well, which is exactly what you want when making a chunky potato salad. Nobody want mushy, broken up tatos, do they? Red potato salad – yep! That’s the way to go!
Though I am using ‘baby’ red potatoes in this potato salad, I do cut some of them, depending on their size. Like with any produce, there are variations in size, with some potatoes being smaller or larger. The larger ones I cut into chunks, the itsy bitsy ones, I left whole. Just make sure that they are bite-sized and all about the same so that when the potatoes cook, they cook evenly.
Steps to Making this Chunky Potato Salad Recipe
- Boil clean, cut, red baby potatoes. Drain, rinse, dry.
- Boil eggs.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove excess grease
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Drizzle over dill infused dressing and stir to combine.
- Garnish with extra bacon and green onion, if desired.
- Dig in!
Tips for Making this the BEST Potato Salad
- Red baby potatoes are the best choice in this salad.
- If you can’t find or don’t have baby potatoes, no worries! Just use the regular sized ones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Don’t overcook your potatoes. Start with a pot of cold water, add potatoes, bring to a boil, salt and cook for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender. If they are overcooked, it will be too mushy and nobody wants that!
- After the potatoes are cooked, I always drain and rinse with cold water. I then place on a tea towel lined baking sheet and allow the potatoes to dry out a little before adding the rest of the salad ingredients and dressing.
- If you want your potato salad less or more ‘wet’ from the dressing, then simply omit or add mayo, about a tablespoon or so at a time until you’ve reached your desired consistency. It’s always easier to add than to take away.
- I always like to reserve a little bacon and green onion for garnish to give this potato salad a pop of colour.
- Want this potato salad to be straight up vegetarian? Just omit the bacon.
- I made this salad the day before a family get together and it tasted just as good the next day as it did the day of. Like with any potato salad recipe, try to enjoy within a day or two….though, I don’t think that will be a problem – after all, this is the best potato salad recipe 😉
Next time when you’re asked to take a dish to a pot luck or bbq this chunky, creamy potato salad recipe will be your go-to. I know it’s mine!
Don’t ya just want to grab that lil’ tato from your screen?
Looking for Easy BBQ Recipes to go with this Potato Salad Recipe? Check these out –
Hope you try this chunky potato salad this summer! It’s really good! I’m kinda hopin’ you guys will think it’s the best potato salad you ever put in your pie hole too 😉
To all my fellow Canadian friends who will be celebrating Canada Day on July 1st, HAPPY CANADA DAY!!! Hope it’s filled with fun, friends and good eats!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
Best Potato Salad
- 2 lbs baby red potatoes -scrubbed clean and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 eggs -roughly chopped
- 6 oz bacon -few slices. Reserve a little for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup pickle -chopped
- 1/2 cup cheese -cut into small cubes (I used marble)
- 3-4 stalks green onion -chopped, plus a little for garnish (optional)
- 2/3 cup light mayo
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 3/4 tsp salt -plus more for water when boiling potatoes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- In a medium pot, fill with cold water. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil, season water with salt (about 1/2 tsp). Cover with lid slightly ajar and cook 8-10 minutes, or until potatoes are just fork tender. Drain, rinse with a little cold water and drain again. Place on a tea towel lined bacon sheet to dry out a little.Note - you can cook eggs with the potatoes if you wish. Otherwise cook them separately until they are hard boiled.
- Meanwhile, place bacon on a sheet pan (in 375F oven) and bake 15-20 minutes until crispy. Drain on brown paper towel.
- Place cooked potatoes in a large bowl. Add cooked chopped eggs, crumbled bacon, pickle, cheese and green onion. If desired, reserve a little green onion and bacon for garnish (optional).
- Mix together mayo, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, dill, salt, pepper, cayenne, onion and garlic powder. Pour over potato mixture and mix to combine. Garnish with green onion and bacon, if desired. Enjoy!