Buttery, crispy and golden on the outside with an ooey gooey melted cheddar cheese and thinly sliced pickle inside, this pickle grilled cheese sandwich is for all those pickle lovers out there. One bite of this cheesy pickle sandwich and you’ll be hooked!
If you’ve been following along Girl Heart Food for a little while, you know my love for cheese runs deep.
Heck, as a kid, I even remember coming home from school, throwing cheddar on a plate, melting it in the microwave and digging in. The love is real.
So, any excuse to pile cheese onto something, I’m in!
Just recently, hubby and I visited our local farmer’s market.
Aside from veggies for sale, there are local vendors selling all sorts of food, one of which is grilled cheese sandwiches.
Hubby and I ordered a couple and shared, one was a pickle grilled cheese sandwich…
We took it home and devoured. Both of us agreed that the dill pickle sandwich was our fave.
And since I’m no stranger to grilled cheese sandwiches, you know I had to make my own!
If you’re a pickle fan and a grilled cheese sandwich fan, then this bad boy is for you!
Serve with a big bowl of homemade tomato soup or a stack of potato chips and you’re set for one comforting meal!
How to Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Generously spread some butter on your favourite bread (in my case, I used a local sourdough).
- Now, on one slice, pile on lots of shredded cheddar cheese, along with dried dill (to really reinforce that dill flavour).
- Add some (patted dry) kosher pickle.
- Drizzle on some hot sauce to taste.
- Pile on more cheddar cheese.
- Cover with your top slice.
- Gently fry your sandwiches in a pan.
- Flip to cook other side.
- When everything is golden, melty and delicious, dig in!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Best Pickle To Use
For this pickle grilled cheese, Kosher pickles were used. I just love them so much. They’re big, slice easily and are super tasty. I use my fave store-bought, but you can make your own, like these homemade kosher pickles (from Bon Appétit).
If you aren’t into those (or have something else on hand), you can totally use that.
Just remember that whatever you use will impact the overall flavour of your sandwich. For instance, some pickles are more garlicky or crunchy than others.
Other delicious options are dill pickles or bread and butter pickles.
More Recipe Tips and Variations
A medium cheddar cheese was used here, but you can use another variety should you wish (like gouda, mozzarella or provolone)…just opt for a good melting cheese.
Pat those pickles dry of excess moisture so they don’t make your grilled sandwich soggy.
Don’t have your heat level too high as to burn your sandwich. The goal here is to get a nice golden brown and crispy exterior while allowing the cheese to melt inside.
Instead of hot sauce (or in addition to, if you really like things spicy), add some (patted dry) banana peppers.
More Grilled Cheese Sandwiches You May Enjoy
- Pizza Grilled Cheese – Pizza meets a grilled cheese sandwich in this super cheesy and comforting sandwich.
- Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese – Piled high with thinly sliced ham, creamy brie and crisp apple…so good!
- Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese – Savoury caramelized onions, cheese and pear. A deliciously sweet and savoury combo.
Hope you love this cheesy grilled cheese sandwich as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this dill pickle grilled cheese? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Pickle Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices of your favourite bread (sourdough works great here)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine (approximately)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup, packed)
- 2 kosher pickles , thinly sliced and patted dry of excess moisture with a paper towel
- pinch dried dill
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce , optional
- Spread butter on 4 slices of bread on both sides.Note: Depending on exactly on big your bread slices are (and how buttery you like things), you may use a little less (or more) butter on your bread.
- On top of two slices of bread, add half of cheese.
- Sprinkle a pinch of dried dill over top.
- Place sliced pickle over top of cheese.
- Drizzle over hot sauce (if using).
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Put second slice of bread on top of ingredients to make sandwiches.
- On medium heat in a non-stick pan, add sandwiches and cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown outside and the cheese is melted inside. Enjoy! Note: Watch carefully that they don't burn. You're going for a nice golden brown and crispy outside and want the cheese to be melted inside.
- A medium cheddar cheese was used here, but you can use another variety should you wish (like gouda, mozzarella or provolone)…just opt for a good melting cheese.
- Pat those pickles dry of excess moisture so they don’t make your grilled sandwich soggy.
- Don’t have your heat level too high as to burn your sandwich. The goal here is to get a nice golden brown and crispy exterior while allowing the cheese to melt inside.
- Instead of hot sauce (or in addition to, if you really like things spicy), add some (patted dry) banana peppers.