A classic grilled cheese meets peanut butter and jam for one delicious mash up! This grilled peanut butter and jam sandwich is sweet, savoury, cheesy and straight up delicious. If you’re looking for a new snack or lunch idea, this grilled pb and j is a must try!
This ain’t no ordinary peanut butter and jam sandwich. Nope!
You may be reading the recipe title thinking ‘Huh?? Jam, peanut butter and cheese? Whaaaaat?’
No, Dawn hasn’t lost her marbles.
This grilled pbj sandwich is something that hubby and I have been making for YEARS.
Not quite sure how it came about…
Could have been that we were hungry and grabbed the most convenient things we had on hand.
Could have been that we couldn’t decide between a pb and j or grilled cheese.
Or could have been that we had a couple of glasses of wine and said ‘heck with it.’
Or maybe it was a combo of all 3. I digress…
Is this diet food? Ummm…
I’ll move on.
This is something you whip up when you have a hankering for something good, but can’t wait on delivery.
It may sound odd but, honestly, it works.
Anywho, let’s make this bad boy, shall we?
How to Make A Grilled PB and J with Cheese?
Full details in recipe card below, but here are the basics –
- For each sandwich, spread a generous layer of peanut butter over a slice of your fave bread and a layer of jam or jelly on the other.
- Top jam with a nice melting cheese.
- Assemble to form a sandwich. Spread with butter or margarine on the outside of each sandwich slice (this will help things get all crispy, golden brown and delicious when the sandwich grills).
- Place sandwiches in a pan and cook.
- Flip and grill other side. Then, all that’s left to do is devour!
Pssst—>Don’t mind the dang holes in my bread. It’s awesome bread from a local bakery that had some air bubbles! I call it character, lol!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
What Type of Cheese Should I Use?
Use what you have on hand as long as it’s a decent melting cheese.
I used a ‘marble’ cheddar cheese here. Smoked cheddar is also a lovely option for grilled cheese.
If you’re feeling extra posh (and want to put on your fancy pants), you can use something else, like provolone, Swiss, fontina, camembert or brie (though, I prefer more of a simple variety for this type of sandwich).
Make It A Meal!
Serve with any of these goodies, for one delicious lunch –
- Potato chips or cheese puffs (<—cheese puffs and cheezies, in general, are a weakness of mine, fyi).
- Bowl of soup, like this tomato soup
- Tall glass of milk
Tips & Variations
Use your favourite variety of sandwich bread. Raisin bread also works lovely here!
Pick any type of jam or jelly you like. Blueberry was used here, but strawberry or grape would work great too. And, if you’re into making your own, try this mixed berry chia seed jam.
Keep the heat in your pan on a lowish setting. It’s better to slowly grill the bread rather than rush it and burn.
Depending on the size of your bread slices, the amount of butter, jam, peanut butter and cheese you use may vary.
Other Cheesy Sandwiches You May Enjoy
- Ham & Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Melty brie cheese, copious amount of ham, jam and crisp apple makes this sandwich a real treat!
- Turkey and Cranberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Turkey, cranberry, goat cheese and mozzarella…what’s not to love?
- Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich – A favourite meal in sandwich form!
Hope you love this cheesy grilled pb & j sandwich as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this cheesy grilled pbj sandwich? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment and rating below. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Grilled PB & J Sandwich with Cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 4 tbsp crunchy all natural peanut butter -or your favourite variety
- 4 tbsp jam or jelly -I used 'blueberry'. Use your favourite variety
- 3 ounces shredded marble cheese -about 3/4 cup (or your favourite variety)
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- For each sandwich, spread some peanut butter on one side of a slice of bread. Spread some jam on the other slice of bread.
- Top peanut butter with shredded cheese.
- Place jelly bread on top of peanut butter/cheese bread to form a sandwich. Smear some butter on outsides of bread slices.
- Heat a nonstick pan on lowish-medium heat. Add sandwiches. Cook until golden on one side and flip to cook other side. You want about 4-5 minutes per side. Watch so things don't burn. Enjoy!Note: the quantity of each condiment you use could vary, depending on how large your slices of bread are.
- Use your favourite variety of sandwich bread. Raisin bread also works lovely here!
- Pick any type of jam or jelly you like. Blueberry was used here, but strawberry or grape would work great too. And, if you’re into making your own, try this mixed berry chia seed jam.
- I used a crunchy natural peanut butter, but you can use smooth, sweetened or even cashew butter or almond butter.
- Keep the heat in your pan on a lowish setting. It’s better to slowly grill the bread rather than rush it and burn.
- Depending on the size of your bread slices, the amount of butter, jam, peanut butter and cheese you use may vary.