A classic grilled cheese meets peanut butter and jam for one delicious mash-up! This grilled peanut butter and jam sandwich is sweet, savoury, cheesy, and simply delicious. If you’re looking for a new snack or lunch idea, this grilled pb and j is it!
This ain’t no ordinary peanut butter and jam sandwich. Nope!
You may be reading the recipe title saying “Huh?? Jam, peanut butter and cheese? What?”
No, Dawn hasn’t lost her marbles.
This grilled PBJ sandwich is something that hubby and I have been making for years.
Not quite sure how it came about, though.
Could have been that we were hungry and grabbed the most convenient things we had on hand.
Could have been that we couldn’t decide between a pb and j or grilled cheese.
Or could have been that we had a couple of glasses of wine and said “Heck with it.”
Or maybe it was a combo of all 3.
Is this diet food?
I’ll move on.
This is something you whip up when you have a hankering for something good but can’t wait on delivery.
It may sound odd but, honestly, it works. This grilled cheese sandwich is a favourite of ours!
What Type of Cheese Should I Use?
Use what you have on hand as long as it’s a decent melting cheese.
I like to use a blend of white and orange cheddar cheese here. Smoked cheddar is also a lovely option for grilled cheese.
If you’re feeling extra posh (and want to put on your fancy pants), you can use something else, like provolone, Swiss, fontina, Camembert, or Brie (though, I prefer more of a simple variety for this type of sandwich).
Make It a Meal
Serve with any of these goodies, for one delicious lunch:
- Potato chips or cheese puffs
- Bowl of soup, like this tomato soup
- A tall glass of milk
Tips and Variations
- Use your favourite variety of sandwich bread. Raisin bread also works lovely here!
- Pick any type of jam or jelly you like. Blueberry is used here, but strawberry or grape would work great too. And, if you’re into making your own, try this mixed berry chia seed jam.
- I use crunchy natural peanut butter, but you can use smooth, sweetened, or even cashew butter or almond butter.
- Depending on the size of your bread slices, the amount of butter, jam, peanut butter and cheese you use may vary.
More Cheesy Sandwiches
If you make this cheesy grilled pbj sandwich, be sure to leave a comment below!
Grilled PB and J Sandwich With Cheese
- 4 tablespoons crunchy all natural peanut butter, or your favourite variety
- 4 tablespoons jam or jelly, use your favourite flavour
- 4 slices sandwich bread, your favourite variety
- 3 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (I like to use a combination of white and orange cheddar), about ¾ cup
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, approximately
- Spread peanut butter on one side of two slices of bread. Spread jam on one side of the other two slices of bread.
- Top jam with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place peanut butter bread over top of jam/cheese bread to form each sandwich. Spread butter on outsides of the bread slices.Note: The quantity of each condiment you use could vary, depending on how large your slices of bread are.
- Heat a 10-inch or 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Place sandwiches in the pan. Cook the sandwiches for about 4 to 5 minutes on one side.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches to the other side and continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until they're golden brown and crispy outside and the cheese is melted inside. Watch so things don't burn. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!