This is the best grilled cheese sandwich recipe and sure to be a real treat! This pizza grilled cheese sandwich is piled high with crispy salami, melty mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce and fresh basil. So good!
Hey hey fellow foodie friends!
Did ya know that April is ‘grilled cheese month‘? There seems to be some sort of food holiday all the time, am I right?? I can’t keep up with it all.
Truth be told, though, if you know me you know that I need no excuse to enjoy cheese.
But, since it is ‘grilled cheese month’, I thought why not go all out and bring you guys something wickedly delish, like this epic pizza grilled cheese sandwich. Grab those napkins and let’s get to it, shall we?
Pizza Grilled Cheese – when two delicious worlds collide
I am beyond excited to share this ooey gooey downright addictive pizza grilled cheese sandwich with you guys. It combines all the delicious flavours of pizza in sandwich form. Plus, it comes together in no time at all.
I crisped the salami here in a pan for a little, but that’s totally optional. And then you know what I did??
There was a little salami grease in the pan….
I went there.
Along with a little dab-o-butter, I grilled the sandwiches in the salami renderings. Talk about good!!
How to Make this Sandwich
Full details on how to make this cheesy sandwich are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics –
- Butter bread on both sides.
- Top two slices of bread with half of the cheese.
- Top cheese with crispy (chopped) salami.
- Next goes pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle on chili flakes for a little kiss of heat.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Throw some chopped basil over top.
- Top with second slice of bread.
- Grill until golden brown.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Serve this grilled cheese with homemade tomato soup for one hearty, satisfying meal!
Use a good bread! Hit up your local bakery and get what’s fresh! I used a really yummy seed bread. It was still warm when I bought it and made for such a yummy grilled cheese sandwich.
Crisp the salami. This is totally optional, but I love to crisp it.
After crisping that salami? Chop it! And even if you don’t crisp it, still chop! It make for easier eatin’ when biting into your sandwich.
Don’t have the heat too high so you burn the bread and not melt the cheese. It’s better to have it on the lower side to get that golden brown exterior and melty, cheesy interior.
I dunked this bad boy into some pizza sauce (because why not gild the lily??). These homemade baked fries (from Well Plated) would be a lovely sidekick too….or simply enjoy as is! There’s no going wrong here, my friends.
I used a ‘spicy’ salami here, but use whatever you like best.
Have pepperoni on hand? Use that instead!
Try a little dab of pesto smeared on the bread instead of using basil.
Don’t have pizza sauce? Try your fave pasta sauce.
Other Grilled Sandwiches you May Enjoy
- Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Turkey Cranberry Sandwich with Mozzarella and Goat Cheese
- Grilled Cheese with Heidi, Pear & Caramelized Onions
- PB & J Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Hope you love this pizza grilled cheese sandwich recipe as much as we do!
If you make this Italian grilled cheese sandwich recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love hearing from you! Thank you!
Pizza Grilled Cheese (with salami, mozzarella and basil)
- 4 slices your favourite bread
- 1.5 tablespoons butter or margarine , divided
- 3 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (about ¾ cup)
- 6 slices salami , thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- pinch chili flakes
- 2 to 4 leaves fresh basil , chopped
- To crisp salami (optional), place salami in a 10-inch non stick pan (may have to do a couple batches depending on how big your pan is). On medium low heat cook until crispy. Stay with it because it can burn quickly. Should only take 2 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel.Note: After the salami is cooked, you can chop smaller if you like.
- Then, spread butter on 4 slices of bread on both sides (use all, but 1 teaspoon of butter)
- On top of two slices of bread add half of cheese.
- Top cheese with salami.
- Place pizza sauce on top of salami along with chili flakes.
- Top with remaining cheese and basil.
- Put second slice of bread on top of ingredients to make sandwiches.
- To pan on medium low heat, add leftover grease from salami and remaining 1 teaspoon of butter until melted.
- Place sandwiches in pan and grill, flipping once, until golden brown and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Enjoy!
- Crisp the salami. This is totally optional, but I love to crisp it.
- After crisping that salami? Chop it! And even if you don’t crisp it, still chop! It make for easier eatin’ when biting into your sandwich.
- Don’t have the heat too high so you burn the bread and not melt the cheese. It’s better to have it on the lower side to get that golden brown exterior and melty, cheesy interior.