This is the best grilled cheese sandwich recipe and sure to be a real treat! This pizza grilled cheese sandwich is piled high with crispy salami, melty mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce and fresh basil. So good!
Did ya know that April is grilled cheese month? There seems to be some sort of food holiday all the time, am I right?? I can’t keep up with it all.
Truth be told, though, if you know me you know that I need no excuse to enjoy cheese.
But, since it is grilled cheese month, I thought why not go all out and bring you guys something wickedly delish, like this epic pizza grilled cheese sandwich. Grab those napkins and let’s get to it, shall we?
I am beyond excited to share this ooey gooey downright addictive pizza grilled cheese sandwich with you all. It combines all the delicious flavours of pizza in sandwich form. Plus, it comes together in no time at all.
I crisped the salami here in a pan for a little, but that’s totally optional. And then you know what I did?
There was a little salami grease in the pan.
I went there.
Along with a little dab of butter, I grilled the sandwiches in the salami renderings. Talk about good!
How To Make This Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Full details on how to make these cheesy sandwiches are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Butter bread.
- Top two slices of bread with half of the cheese.
- Top cheese with crispy (chopped) salami.
- Spread on pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle on crushed red pepper flakes for a little kiss of heat.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Throw some chopped basil over top, then top with second slice of bread.
- Grill the sandwiches in a greased pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Cut in half (if you want).
Tip: Serve this pizza grilled cheese with homemade tomato soup for one hearty, satisfying meal!
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Use a good bread! Hit up your local bakery and get what’s fresh! I used a really yummy seed bread. It was still warm when I bought it and made for such a yummy grilled cheese sandwich.
- Crisp the salami. This is totally optional, but I love to crisp it.
- After crisping that salami? Chop it! And even if you don’t crisp it, still chop! It make for easier eating when biting into your sandwich.
- Don’t have the heat too high so you burn the bread and not melt the cheese. It’s better to have it on the lower side to get that golden brown exterior and melty, cheesy interior.
- This pizza grilled cheese is delicious dunked into some pizza sauce for extra pizza flavour.
- A spicy salami is used in this recipe, but use whatever you like best.
- Have pepperoni on hand? Use that instead!
- Try a little dab of pesto smeared on the bread instead of using basil.
- Don’t have pizza sauce? Try your favourite pasta sauce.
More Grilled Sandwiches
- Grilled Ham and Brie Sandwich
- Cheesy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Grilled PB & J Sandwich With Cheese
If you make this pizza grilled cheese sandwich recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 6 thin slices salami (spicy or regular)
- 4 slices sandwich bread, use your favourite variety
- 1.5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided (4.5 teaspoons)
- 3 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, ¾ cup
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 4 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- To crisp salami (optional), heat a 10-inch or 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium low heat. Place salami in the skillet and cook until crispy (should only take 2 to 4 minutes). Stay with it because it can burn quickly. Drain salami on a paper towel-lined plate.Note: After the salami is cooked, you can chop smaller (if you like); this makes the sandwich easier to eat, so you aren't biting off huge slices of salami.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter among the 4 slices of bread (on both sides).Note: You may use less (or more) butter, depending on how large your slices of bread are and how buttery you like things.
- On top of two slices of bread, add half of cheese.
- Top cheese with salami.
- Place pizza sauce on top of salami along with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Top with remaining cheese and basil.
- Place remaining two slices of buttered bread on top of ingredients to form the two sandwiches.
- Heat leftover grease from salami and remaining 1 teaspoon of butter in a 10-inch or 12-inch non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat. Gently swirl the pan to coat it well with the grease and melted butter.
- Place sandwiches in the pan. Cook the sandwiches for 3 to 4 minutes on one side.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches to the other side and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until they're golden brown and crispy on the outside and the cheese is melted inside. Serve and enjoy!Note: You can cut the sandwich in half or enjoy as is.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!