This creamy tomato basil soup comes together in no time at all in just one pot. It has a rich tomato flavour along with hints of basil. Canned tomato soup is such a classic and just perfect for a comforting lunch.
Wondering what to have for lunch? I know I always am, along with breakfast, dinner and snacks in between, LOL. Homemade tomato soup is always a favourite!
Seriously, though, you could satisfy that little hunger bug by whipping up a batch of this creamy tomato soup in under 25 minutes using pantry staples.
The base of this homemade tomato soup is canned tomatoes.
Sometimes canned or frozen products can get a bad rap. But if you buy a quality brand, it’s all good if you ask me!
Since tomato is the predominant flavour here, you don’t want to cheap out and buy just any ol’ can. And always opt for the ‘whole’ variety. Then, just crush or blitz ’em yourself.
Somewhere along the line, I remember Lidia Bastianich saying that whole is best (versus, say, crushed), so who am I to argue with an Italian chef icon??
Years ago my younger brother and I lived together while going to university.
Of course, being students, we were mindful of our budget when we went grocery shopping.
I remember him being so excited when he spotted cans of concentrated tomato soup on sale for, like, $0.29 per can.
He starting going like a crazy person, loading up the cart like it was no tomorrow. I’m sure he picked up a couple dozen cans. Yeah, that much.
I still tease him to this day whenever I see tomato soup on sale in a flyer. I’ll usually take a snap and text it to him, just for a laugh. It’s one of those memories that sticks with me and makes me chuckle when I think about it.
So, this creamy tomato soup may not be quite as inexpensive as that concentrated tomato soup variety, but it tastes so much better.
Looking to make things even more substantial? Enjoy this canned tomato soup with grilled cheese!
How to Garnish Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Of course, this canned tomato soup recipe is totally delicious on its own, but if you want to gild the lily here, go for it!
- Basil olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or goat cheese or crumbled feta for something a little different)
- Drizzle of balsamic reduction
- Drizzle of cream
There’s no going wrong with any of those garnishes, in my opinion! What’s your fave?
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
More Recipe Tips
I used ‘whole’ peeled tomatoes with basil. I prefer the whole variety and blitz them up myself. Get the best quality canned tomatoes you can get your little hands on.
Creme fraiche was used for this tomato soup, but if you don’t have that on hand heavy cream works lovely too.
Like things a little creamier? Feel free to add more creme fraiche or heavy cream than what the recipe details.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Lentil Kale Soup
- Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
- Asparagus Spinach Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Soup with Cheddar
- Or check out these 20 soup and sandwich recipes
Hope you love this creamy tomato basil soup as much as we do!
If you make this canned tomato soup, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 tablespoon basil or regular olive oil (Plus more for garnish if you want)
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1.5 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes ('San Marzano' variety is great here)
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ to ½ cup creme fraiche or heavy cream (depending on how creamy you want things. You can add more if you like things more creamy).
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Fresh basil
- Basil oil
- Grated Parmesan
- Balsamic or balsamic reduction
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Cook onion, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, stir, and cook one minute.
- Stir in basil, salt, and black pepper.
- Add tomatoes and broth, stir, bring to a simmer, cover ajar and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in creme fraiche (or heavy cream). If you want it more creamy, stir in a little more.
- Once done, blend soup with immersion blender until smooth. Upon serving, garnish (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.