There is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. The flavourful dill infused broth with chunks of chicken, veggies and egg noodles make for one belly warming bite. This one is sure to be a favourite in your home as it is ours!
Hi everyone! How is January treating you so far? Are you completely frozen where you live? The older I get, the less I can tolerate the cold. Remember that movie The Christmas Story where the mother dresses the youngest kid for school? He has so many layers of clothes on that he can’t even put his arms down. This is me on a cold day #TrueStory
Any time of year, I crave comfort food – soup, pasta, all the carby goodness and it’s particularly true in the winter months. That’s when this homemade chicken noodle soup hits the spot.
Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
The veggies should be chopped not too thick, not too thin….think of the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, lol. This soup comes together rather quickly and if they are too large, it will slow down the cooking process. The great thing here is that the chicken used is from a store-bought rotisserie chicken. If you want to roast your own chicken instead, go for it! Leftover turkey works wonderfully here too.
I love using fresh herbs, especially in the summer when we can grow them in our garden. This time of year, though, to the grocery store it is. For some reason, growing them in the house, just don’t work for me – I have way better luck growing them outside. Anywho…the fresh dill here really adds a lovely savoury flavour. If you don’t have fresh dill handy, just use one third the amount of dried dill.
This homemade chicken noodle soup is finished with some baby spinach for an extra kick of nutrition. And who doesn’t want that in the colder months of winter??
The recipe makes a big pot of soup but, trust me, it will disappear fast!!
On a more serious note (#NotReally), what do you like to dunk in your soup? Crackers, bread? I loves me some bread to soak up that delicious broth. I also like a dash of vinegar, but that might be a tad odd for some people. I get that love of vinegar from my momma 😉
Hope you love this homemade chicken noodle soup as much as I do. Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you missed my last post, you can check it out here.
P.P.S If you think this homemade chicken noodle soup will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion -roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 3 carrots -thinly sliced, about 2 cups
- 3 stalks celery -thinly sliced, about 2 cups
- 1.5 tsp salt -I used kosher
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 fresh (or dried) bay leaves
- 1.5 - 2 Tbsp fresh dill -finely chopped, plus more for garnish (or about 1.5 tsp of dried)
- 10 cups chicken stock -I used unsalted
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 4.5-5 cups cooked chicken -about one rotisserie chicken
- 4-5 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a large pot on medium low heat, add olive oil. Cook onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- To pot, add carrot and celery and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring to combine. Stir in salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Add dill and stock to pot. Bring to low simmer, cover and cook about 10 minutes until carrot and celery not quite tender, but almost.
- Add egg noodles and chicken to pot and cook, covered, for an additional 10 minutes (the last two minutes add spinach and stir to combine). Serve immediately and garnish with extra dill (if desired). Enjoy!