Ham, melty cheese and dill pickle make for the most amazing combination! These ham and cheese quesadillas are golden and crispy on the outside and have lots of delicious texture and flavour inside. If you’re looking for a new dinner or lunch idea, this easy quesadilla recipe is a must try!
A ham and cheese sandwich, is there anything more iconic for lunch?
If you want those delicious flavours but want to mix things up a bit, then these ham and cheese quesadillas are sure to do just that!
They have familiar flavours of a ham and cheese sandwich, but they’re even better. And once you make them, you’re gonna want to have them on the regular (at least that’s the case in our home).
What do you often have with a ham and cheese sandwich? Well, for me, with pretty much any sandwich, I love pickle and potato chips.
These ham and cheese quesadillas have the pickle component built right in, and it adds such a lovely texture and flavour. Perfect with some chips on the side, if you ask me!
Fan of pickle recipes? Check out this pickle grilled cheese sandwich!
Why We Love Ham and Cheese Quesadillas
- These cheesy ham quesadillas can be made in about 20 minutes!
- It’s a great way to use leftover ham from another meal.
- The recipe is made with just 6 simple ingredients
- These quesadillas can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner
- Of course, they’re so incredibly yummy!
How To Make This Recipe
Full details on how to make these ham and cheese quesadillas are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
Spread some shredded cheese onto one half of each tortilla.
Top the cheese with sliced cooked ham, thinly sliced pickle and a drizzle of hot sauce (totally optional, but yummy).
Sprinkle over some more shredded cheese.
Fold over the quesadillas so you have a half-moon shape.
Working in batches, cook the quesadillas in a greased pan on both sides until they’re golden brown and crispy on the outside, the filling is heated through, and the cheese is melted.
Once all the quesadillas are cooked, you can cut them in half and enjoy!
Type of Ham To Use
Simple cooked deli ham was used in this recipe. Black Forest ham is a yummy option. You want the ham to be in thin slices or shaved.
Best Cheese To Use
When making quesadillas, you definitely want a nice melting cheese. I used Gruyere in these ham and cheese quesadillas, but other delicious options are mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese or provolone. Use your favourite melting cheese.
These ham and cheese quesadillas are delicious, of course, on their own, but if you want to take things up a notch, serve them with sour cream or ranch dressing (my favourite) for dipping. So good!
If you want to round things out a make your meal more substantial, these quesadillas are great served with a simple green salad or homemade tomato soup.
Looking for something super simple to serve with these quesadillas? Potato chips are always a yummy pairing.
More Easy Quesadilla Recipes
If you make this easy cheese and ham quesadilla recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Ham and Cheese Quesadillas
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese, divided (or use shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese)
- 4 flour tortillas, each about 7 to 8 inches in diameter
- 12 slices cooked deli ham (like Black Forest), 3 thin slices per tortilla
- 2 kosher pickles, thinly sliced and patted dry of excess moisture (about 3 slices per quesadilla)
- hot sauce (like sriracha), to taste (optional)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, or olive oil
- Sour cream and/or ranch dressing, for serving (optional)
- Distribute half (1 cup) of the Gruyere cheese among one half of each tortilla.
- Distribute ham on top of cheese, then top with sliced pickle and a drizzle of hot sauce to taste (if using). Top with remaining half (1 cup) of the Gruyere cheese. Fold over each tortilla so it's a half-moon shape.
- To cook quesadillas, heat about 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Gently swirl the oil around the pan to coat.Note: Cook the quesadillas in batches, two quesadillas at a time, adding more oil to the pan between batches as necessary.
- Place two quesadillas in the pan. Cook quesadillas for about 3 minutes on one side.
- Carefully flip the quesadillas to the other side and continue to cook for another 3 minutes or until they're golden brown and crispy on the outside, the filling is heated through, and the cheese is melted (carefully watch to ensure they don't burn). Transfer cooked quesadillas to a plate.
- Repeat process to cook remaining quesadillas.
- Once the quesadillas are done, cut each half-moon (quesadilla) in half so you have 8 pieces. Serve with sour cream or ranch dressing for dipping! Enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!