These cheesy chicken quesadillas are bursting with flavour from plenty of chicken, black beans, pickled banana peppers, corn and lots of cheese. The finishing touch? Adobo sauce for that smoky heat. You’re gonna love this easy quesadilla recipe!
Today I’m sharing a cheesy chicken quesadilla recipe that I think you’re going to love (well, I know we do!).
Quesadillas are something we regularly enjoy in our home.
They not only taste delicious, but are super quick to whip up. Whether it’s for a busy weeknight dinner or a casual Friday night meal, they always hit the spot!
Aside from this chicken version, some of our favourite quesadilla recipes include ground beef quesadillas, black bean quesadillas, turkey quesadillas and even breakfast quesadillas. Suffice to say, we are big fans of them!
I mean, what’s not to love? A crispy exterior with a cheesy, hearty centre? Sign me up!
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Divide half of the shredded cheese between each tortilla (on one side of them).
- Then top the cheese with cooked chicken, black beans, corn, pickled banana peppers, adobo sauce and the remaining shredded cheese.
- Fold over each tortilla so it’s a half-moon shape, then pan fry (in batches) in a greased pan. (After pan frying, the quesadillas should be golden brown and crispy on the outside; the inside should be heated through and the cheese nice and melty.)
- Once the quesadillas are cooked, cut them in half. There ya have it, easy cheesy chicken quesadillas!
Some off my faves to serve with these cheesy chicken quesadillas are:
- Sour cream
- Greek yogurt
- Lime wedges
- Pickled red onion
Tips and Variations
- Make sure your beans are rinsed, drained and patted dry so they don’t leak too much moisture into the quesadillas … same with the corn and banana peppers.
- Leftover cooked turkey? You can totally use that instead of the chicken if that’s what you have on hand or prefer.
- Don’t have, don’t like or don’t want to use adobo sauce? Substitute with your favourite BBQ sauce.
- Cheddar cheese (a marble variety, actually) was the cheese of choice for this cheesy chicken quesadilla recipe, but you could use another variety if you prefer (or mix some). Just pick a nice melting cheese. Here are some great melting cheese options.
More Yummy Recipes
If you make this cheesy chicken quesadilla recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
This cheese and chicken quesadilla recipe was originally published May 18, 2018 but has been updated.
Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used a marble cheddar cheese)
- 6 flour tortillas, each about 7 to 8 inches in diameter
- 2.5 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces or shredded
- ⅔ cup canned no salt added black beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry of excess moisture
- ½ cup canned corn kernels, rinsed, drained and patted dry of excess moisture
- ⅓ cup pickled sliced banana peppers, squeezed or patted dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce (from canned chipotles in adobo sauce), or more to taste if you want things spicier/smokier (another delicious option is BBQ sauce)
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped (optional)
- 6 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil, divided (to grease pan)
- Salsa, Greek yogurt, guacamole or sour cream, for serving with (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit (to keep quesadillas warm while preparing batches). This is optional.
- Meanwhile, to assemble the quesadillas: divide half of the cheddar cheese (1.5 cups) among one half of each tortilla. Place cooked chicken among each tortilla (on top of cheese), then top chicken with black beans, corn, banana peppers and adobo sauce. Divide remaining 1.5 cups of cheddar cheese among the tortillas (on top of adobo sauce). Fold over each tortilla so it's a half-moon shape.Note: If desired (and totally optional), is to also add some chopped chipotles in adobo sauce when you add the adobo sauce.
- To cook quesadillas, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil or vegetable oil in large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Gently swirl the oil around the pan so you get good coverage.Note: Cook the quesadillas in batches, two quesadillas at a time, adding more oil to the pan between batches as necessary.
- Place two quesadillas in the pan. Cook quesadillas for 2 to 3 minutes on one side.
- Carefully flip the quesadillas to the other side and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until they're golden brown and crispy on the outside, the filling is heated through, and the cheese is melted (carefully watch to ensure they don't burn). Once done, transfer the quesadillas to a sheet pan and place into your preheated oven to keep warm while you are continuing to cook the remaining quesadillas.
- Repeat process to cook remaining quesadillas.
- Once the quesadillas are done, cut each quesadilla in half so you end up with 12 pieces. Delicious served with salsa, Greek yogurt, guacamole or sour cream. Enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!