This chicken avocado sandwich is such a fun (and delicious) twist on a classic chicken salad recipe. It combines lots of savoury elements with a little pop of sweetness from fresh mango. This easy chicken avocado sandwich makes for such a quick lunch that always hits the spot!
So, it’s no surprise that I’m super happy to be sharing this chicken avocado sandwich with you all today.
There’s lots of yummy green elements, like avocado (of course), plus jalapeno, green onion and salsa verde.
But do you know what else makes this chicken sandwich special? Mango! It adds a little sweetness and contrasting flavour to the savoury situation going on.
Fan of chicken salad sandwiches? Check out this curry chicken salad!
Why We Love These Chicken Avocado Salad Sandwiches
- The recipe uses store-bought cooked rotisserie chicken, which helps make this chicken salad sandwich come together in less than 10 minutes.
- It’s a fun (and healthier) spin on a traditional chicken salad recipe.
- It’s great for a quick lunch on busy days.
- This chicken avocado salad sandwich tastes incredible!
Do I Have to Use Bread?
Not at all!
This chicken avocado salad mixture is great on lettuce too. Boston lettuce works great!
Another delicious option is serving with your favourite crackers or, honestly, enjoying as is.
Tips and Variations
- Because there’s avocado in there, I like to make this sandwich and enjoy right away so the avocado doesn’t oxidize.
- Don’t have mango (or prefer not to use)? You can omit or add another sweet element, like chopped grapes, raisins or apple.
- Instead of spinach, you can use another green veggie, like leaf lettuce, romaine or baby arugula.
- For more elements of flavour and colour to your chicken avocado sandwich, feel free to add in some fresh herbs, like chopped dill, cilantro or parsley.
- Craving extra crunch? Mix in some chopped celery!
More Yummy Sandwich Recipes
If you make this chicken avocado salad sandwich, be sure to leave a comment below!
Chicken Avocado Salad Sandwich
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ pound cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup mango cubes (peeled and in small cubes)
- 2 tablespoons salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed and finely minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices sandwich bread, use your favourite variety
- mayonnaise, for bread (optional)
- baby spinach, to taste
- Add avocado to a bowl and mash.
- To avocado, add cooked chicken, mango, salsa verde, jalapeno pepper, green onion, lime juice, salt and black pepper. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Spread mayonnaise to taste (if using) over one side of all four slices of bread.
- On two of those slices of bread, on top of mayonnaise, add baby spinach to taste. Top spinach with chicken avocado salad mixture (divide equally between the two), then top with remaining bread slices (the mayonnaise side on the inside) to form the sandwiches. Serve and enjoy! Yields about 2 to 3 sandwiches, depending on the size of your bread slices.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.