Looking for a super comforting and easy date night dinner? Try sausage and gnocchi with cream sauce! This satisfying recipe for two includes sausage, mushrooms, spinach, and cream. It’s savoury, creamy, delicious, and sure to be a favourite!
Winter, am I right?
You know what’s good for the soul in winter?
Well, comfort food is kinda the perfect thing year-round, but even more so in those colder months.
What better way to spend a cold winter day than to curl up with your sweetie and enjoy a big bowl of this sausage and gnocchi with cream sauce? Sounds pretty awesome, if you ask me.
Side note: gnocchi can be sneaky! When you look at the package, at first glance, it may not look like a lot. But, let me tell ya, it packs a punch. Combined with sausage, talk about hearty and filling.
Fan of gnocchi? Check out this baked gnocchi casserole!
Why We Love This Gnocchi with Cream Sauce Recipe
- It comes together in under 30 minutes.
- Perfectly portioned for two, it makes for a great date night recipe.
- With pillowy gnocchi, sausage, mushrooms, spinach and cream, it’s incredibly comforting.
- Gnocchi with cream sauce. Doesn’t that just sound good? Well, it tastes even better!
Can I Double This Recipe?
Most definitely! This gnocchi recipe is portioned for two people, but can easily be doubled for more.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Regular Sausage?
For sure! I used veggie sausage, but you can use regular pork sausage if you like. Just cook the sausage until cooked through and use like you would in this gnocchi with cream sauce recipe.
More Recipe Tips and Variations
Instead of baby spinach, try kale. You just have to cook a tad longer because it’s a little more hearty.
Baby bella (or cremini) mushrooms were used, but you can totally use white button mushrooms if that’s what you have on hand.
For an even richer sauce, replace the veggie broth with cream.
More Yummy Comfort Food Recipes
Hope you love this easy gnocchi recipe as much as we do!
If you try this sausage and gnocchi with cream sauce, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Sausage and Gnocchi with Cream Sauce
- 350 grams gnocchi (or about 12 ounces)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 2 veggie Italian sausage
- 1 shallot , peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms , sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 ounces baby spinach (about 2 handfuls)
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- ½ cup heavy cream (also known as 'whipping cream')
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable broth (or use chicken broth if you don't need it to be vegetarian)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- Parsley , chopped (garnish, optional)
- Place water in a large pot (enough per gnocchi package instructions) and bring to a boil (for use shortly when cooking the gnocchi).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a 10-inch non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Place the sausages in the pan and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on one side.
- Turn the sausages to the other side and continue cooking for another 4 to 5 minutes or until fully cooked through. Transfer the cooked sausages to a plate and set aside.
- If necessary (depending on how much grease is released from your sausage), heat remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil in your pan for cooking the shallot. To pan, add shallot and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add butter. Once melted, add mushrooms. Cook, stirring every so often, for about 5 minutes until they've lost some of their moisture. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add spinach, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes until spinach has wilted.
- Pour in cream and broth. Bring to a simmer to reduce and thicken the cream for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi per package instructions.
- Slice the sausages and add them to the pan along with the cooked gnocchi. Stir to combine everything. Cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and stir in grated Parmesan cheese.
- Portion into warm bowls and garnish with more Parmesan cheese and parsley (if desired). Enjoy!
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.