A fun twist on a classic tuna salad, this tuna avocado sandwich is creamy, easy and super tasty. It comes together in minutes and makes for the most delicious lunch!
If you’re always looking for new ideas to mix up your lunch routine (and you enjoy canned tuna), then this tuna avocado sandwich is for you!
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big mayo lover, but sometimes I want to mix things up a little, make my tuna salad sandwiches a little lighter. That’s when I opt for tuna sandwiches without mayo.
By using avocado instead of mayo, you still get all the creamy dreamy texture (like you would with a regular tuna salad sandwich) but in a different form.
Serve this tuna avocado salad with pickle, hot peppers and chips for one scrumptious lunch!
Why We Love This Tuna Avocado Sandwich
- It’s made with some pretty simple ingredients that you probably have on hand.
- This tuna sandwich comes together in about 10 minutes.
- The sandwich can be customized to taste with garnish (use your favourite leaf lettuce, for example).
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How To Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Add the tuna avocado salad ingredients to a bowl, then give everything a little mash to combine. You can make as chunky (or as not) as you like best.
- Toast your bread (or you can leave untoasted, if that’s what you prefer) and spread some mustard over it.
- Add some lettuce or alfalfa sprouts on top of the bottom bread slices, then top with the tuna avocado salad mixture and thinly sliced cucumber.
- Cover each sandwich with the top slice of bread. You can then cut the sandwich in half (if you like).
Do I Have To Use Bread?
Not at all!
You can simply enjoy this tuna avocado salad as is.
Alternatively, enjoy with your favourite crackers, on a wrap or on some leaves of lettuce for a low-carb tuna salad.
Tips and Variations
- Of course, it probably goes without saying, pick a ripe avocado so it’ll mash up nicely.
- Canned tuna in water is used for this tuna avocado sandwich, but you can totally use tuna in oil for a little more lushness.
- Whatever variety of tuna you use, make sure it’s drained well so you don’t make your sandwich soggy.
- Veggies are added to this sandwich, but you can omit or add whatever veggies you like best!
- Optional is to spread a little mustard on the bread when building your tuna avocado sandwich. You can omit or use mayo.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- Western Sandwich
- Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich
If you make this tuna avocado sandwich, be sure to leave a comment below!
Tuna Avocado Sandwich
- 1 (6-ounce or 170-gram) can tuna in water, drained well
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon olive oil, or regular olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or green onion
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ tablespoon capers, roughly chopped
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mustard, for bread (optional)
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, or your favourite variety
Optional Garnish Ideas
- Alfalfa sprouts, to taste
- Lettuce or baby spinach, to taste
- Sliced cucumber, to taste
- Add the tuna, avocado, celery, lemon juice, lemon olive oil, chives, dill, caper, salt, and black pepper to a medium bowl. Mash or stir until you've reach your desired consistency and everything is well combined.
- Toast your bread (if you like) and spread some mustard on one side of all four bread slices (optional).
- To assemble: divide the tuna avocado mixture between two slices of bread (on top of mustard), then top with alfalfa sprouts, lettuce and/or cucumber, if you want. Top with the remaining slices of bread (with mustard side on the inside) to form the sandwiches. Cut in half (if you like). Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!