Using a humble can of salmon, you can whip up the most delicious salmon salad sandwich in about 10 minutes! Combined with dill, horseradish and lemon, this salmon salad is piled high on a toasted bun with avocado, tomato and lettuce. Makes for such a satisfying lunch!
Today I’m sharing another canned fish recipe, perfect for lunch today. It’s an easy salmon salad sandwich!
Being the summer season, these salmon sandwiches would also be such a delicious addition to your picnic basket, especially when paired with pasta salad, pickle or potato chips.
Every year, hubby, Riley and I make a trip out to Cape Spear and pack a lunch while enjoying the beautiful view. It’s always something we look forward to each summer. What’s something you enjoy doing in the summer months?
How To Make This Recipe
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Drain your canned salmon and place into a bowl to break up.
- Add the remaining salmon salad ingredients (bell pepper, yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, green onion, dried dill, black pepper and salt).
- Give everything a nice little mix to combine.
- Toast some hamburger buns (if desired) and spread the cut sides of them with mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- On the bottom buns, add the green leafy vegetable of your choice (in my case I used watercress and shredded romaine). Then pile on your salmon salad mixture, sliced avocado and tomato.
- Place the top bun over top to form your sandwiches.
Tips and Variations for Making These Salmon Salad Sandwiches
- Ensure your canned salmon is well-drained! You definitely don’t want a soggy salad mixture here.
- This salmon salad was made with part mayonnaise and part Greek yogurt. If you want to make things richer, replace the yogurt with all mayonnaise. Alternatively, if you want to lighten things, replace the mayonnaise with yogurt.
- Hamburger buns were used as the bread component of these salmon sandwiches. You can use substitute with your favourite sandwich bread if you like.
- For a twist, enjoy the salmon salad on leaves of Boston lettuce instead of hamburger buns.
- Garnish to taste with your favourite toppings (or just enjoy as is)!
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
If you make this salmon salad sandwich, please leave a comment below!
Salmon Salad Sandwich
- 2 (5-ounce or 142-gram) cans salmon (boneless and skinless), drained
- 3 tablespoons diced bell pepper (small dice)
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1.5 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more to spread on buns if desired
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried dill (dill weed)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- 4 hamburger buns, cut in half horizontally (if not already precut)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, or to taste (to spread on buns)
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Sliced Tomato
- Lettuce or watercress
- Sliced avocado
- In a bowl, mix well-drained salmon with bell pepper, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, prepared horseradish, green onion, dried dill, black pepper and salt until well combined.
- Toast hamburger buns (optional) and spread the cut side of the bottom portion of each bun with some Dijon mustard (if using) and the cut side of the top portion of each bun with more mayonnaise (if using).
- Distribute the salmon salad mixture between the two bottom buns and garnish to taste (if desired) with tomato, lettuce and avocado. Place top portion of bun over top (with the mayonaise on the inside) to form each sandwich. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!