This Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich is nourishing, filling and makes for a healthier alternative to traditional salad sandwiches. This one has dried apricots for a little sweetness, chopped walnuts for crunch and lemon juice for some brightness. Mix up your lunch routine with this delicious vegetarian mashed chickpea sandwich!
Hey guys! I’m super happy with this recipe!
‘Why?’, you ask.
Because hubby was skeptical.
He was like ‘chickpeas on a sandwich. Hmmmmmm.’
So, being hard-headed like I am, I was determined to prove him wrong.
And, guess what?
Score 1 for Dawn!!
No lie – it’s on a regular rotation for us! Mashed chickpeas on a sandwich…it’s definitely a thing (and delicious at that)!
This chickpea salad sandwich is such a great alternative to a salad sandwich with, say, chicken, tuna or egg (not that I don’t love those too).
Plus, you could totally make a batch on Sunday (even double it), leave the filling covered in a bowl and basically throw on some bread when you want a quick lunch.
And hello picnic season!! So perfect for a little outing with a nice cold glass of lemonade, don’t ya think? Sold yet?
How to Make Chickpea Salad Sandwich
1: Place rinsed and drained chickpeas in a processor.
2: PULSE until chickpeas are broken down a little. You want broken down pieces and some whole pieces. There’s no going wrong here, really, just make the texture that you like.
Tip—>Definitely don’t puree to a paste. Ain’t nobody got time for that…unless you’re making hummus. Then, pass the chips 😉
3: In a small bowl whisk together mayo (vegan, if you prefer) yogurt, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper.
4: Grab a bowl and put the chickpeas in there along with chopped dried apricots, walnuts, green onion and mayo/yogurt mixture. Stir to combine.
Then, portion onto bread and garnish as you like.
Tips for Making this Delicious Vegetarian Sandwich Recipe
A food processor was used to break down the chickpeas, but you could totally use a potato masher if you like. If using a food processor, I recommend the ‘pulse’ feature so you can better control the texture of the chickpeas.
Speaking of breaking down the chickpeas, don’t break ’em down to mush. We don’t want a spread here. Most chickpeas should be broken or smashed and a few can be left whole.
Prefer to have this chickpea salad sandwich with Greek yogurt only? Omit the mayo! I used a combo of vegan mayo and Greek yogurt here, but you could totally use all yogurt or all mayo if you like. The vegan mayo gives a little richness which I love.
I prefer to use a ‘seedy’ bread for this sandwich because it adds a lovely texture.
About that bread….all slices of bread are not created equal and will vary in size.
Note: This recipe yields enough for two super hearty sandwiches or 4 smaller ones. If your slices of bread are larger or smaller, the quantity you yield will vary. Or, if you’re super hungry, maybe you just feel like piling that goodness on 😉
Variations on this Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Not a fan of curry? You can omit and replace with your favourite spice. A pinch of cayenne or smoked paprika or even chipotle powder works great! Start with a little and add to taste.
Add-in options! Instead of dried apricots, try raisins or dates. Looking for more crunch and freshness? Diced apple, pear, peach or chopped grapes are lovely options.
Rather a more savoury vibe? Try diced bell pepper.
Mix up the leafy greens with arugula, butter lettuce or baby spinach.
Don’t have walnuts? Use some chopped almonds or cashews instead.
Not feeling bread? Try this mashed chickpea recipe on a tortilla or use for lettuce wraps.
Like this Chickpea Salad Sandwich? You May Enjoy These Too
10 Minute Black Bean and Tofu Scramble Lettuce Wraps – Tasty, easy and minutes to prepare, these lettuce wraps are great for game day or a light lunch.
Classic Egg Salad Sandwich – A classic for a reason! Always a favourite, especially when packing lunch for a busy day.
Hope you love this mashed chickpea sandwich as much as we do!
If you’re looking to make things even more substantial, enjoy with homemade potato chips from Taste of Home.
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
P.S. If you think this chickpea salad sandwich will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich with Apricots
- 19 oz can unsalted chickpeas -rinsed and drained (about 2 cups). I used 'unsalted' variety
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo -or regular
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt -or more if you want more ‘wet’
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice -from about 1 lemon
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt -or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup walnuts -roughly chopped
- 6-8 dried apricots -chopped
- 2 stalks green onion -chopped
- mayo or vegan mayo
- Dijon mustard
- baby kale, baby spinach or arugula
- In a food processor pulse chickpeas until broken down slightly. Don’t over mix! Don’t have a food processor? Place chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- In a bowl whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Remove chickpeas from processor and add yogurt mixture, walnuts, dried apricots and green onion. Stir until combined.
- Spread mayo and/or mustard on bread slices. Distribute chickpea mixture over top and garnish, as desired. Enjoy!
- A food processor was used to break down the chickpeas, but you could totally use a potato masher if you like. If using a food processor, I recommend the ‘pulse’ feature so you can better control the texture of the chickpeas.
- Speaking of breaking down the chickpeas, don’t break ’em down to mush. We don’t want a spread here. Most chickpeas should be broken or smashed and a few can be left whole.
- Prefer to have this chickpea salad sandwich with Greek yogurt only? Omit the mayo! I used a combo of vegan mayo and Greek yogurt here, but you could totally use all yogurt or all mayo if you like. The vegan mayo gives a little richness which I love.
- I prefer to use a ‘seedy’ bread for this sandwich because it adds a lovely texture.
- For other tips and variations see body of post above.