The longest part of this Easy Roasted Garlic Hummus is actually roasting the garlic. The rest? Forget about it! The roasted garlic gives a lovely little hum of garlic flavour to this ultra creamy, homemade hummus.
So, question of the day – do you like garlic? Me? I LOVE it! I may be a bit weird when it comes to garlic (actually, I know I am). So, confession time – I actually like the smell of garlic on my fingers after handling it. Yes, you read that right. I like it. Isn’t it actually funny to think of me going around the kitchen smelling my stinky garlic hands? Not like it’s flowers or anything, but I digress…….
How to Roast Whole Garlic for Roasted Garlic Hummus?
Have you roasted garlic before? It definitely softens the flavour of the cloves, that’s for sure. But, you know what? I think I could pop these like candy. Weird fact #2. Just add it to the list, ok 😉 ?
So, to roast garlic all you do is –
- Carefully slice top of garlic bulb so all cloves are exposed.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with 1/2 tsp of olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and bake on 400F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully open from foil. You may want to wait a few minutes for it to cool before removing cloves from skin.
- Use in recipe!
Like I said, roasting the garlic makes it less pungent so when you taste it in this hummus, there’s just a little hum. However, if you want your garlic to punch you in the face so to speak, feel free to add some minced raw garlic to the party. I would suggest no more than one clove, but do what make your belly happy!
How to May Hummus Creamy?
Do you know what gives this hummus its ultra creamy texture? Removing the skins on those chickpeas. Ever since I made this Chipotle Lime Hummus a while ago, I’ve been taking that outer layer off. It’s completely optional, though. I mean you don’t have to do it, but you don’t have to work out either??♀️??But, don’t you feel better when you do?? This may take a few minutes, but totally worth it. Grab a buddy, maybe a beverage, and get peelin’.
Once your garlic is roasted (which you can even do the day before) and your chickpeas are naked, throw it all in the food processor and get blending. And when you think it’s blended, blend a little more. We’re going for that super creamy texture, ya know?
Olive oil also lends itself to the creamy factor in hummus. Don’t skip it!
How to Garnish Hummus? What to Serve with Hummus?
Garnish this hummus to your tastes or not at all. I garnished with some pesto and sunflower seeds and it worked wonderfully. A little drizzle of olive oil over top works lovely too!
This roasted garlic hummus works lovely with all sorts of goodies. I love it with –
- Toasted naan
- Carrot sticks
- It’s also pretty awesome as a substitute for mayo on a burger or sandwich!
Other Easy Dip Recipes you May Enjoy
See how easy it is to make your own hummus?? No need to purchase from the grocery store ever again. Plus, it’s creamy dreamy. Couldn’t you just face plant right into that?
Hope you love this roasted garlic hummus as much as I do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon. Have a FABULOUS food-filled weekend!
Easy Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas -19 oz can (unsalted), outer skin removed (see now below), about 2 cups
- 1/2 tsp salt -or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock -unsalted, or water
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 red thai chili pepper -minced, optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup pesto -optional
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds -optional
- To roast garlic - slice top of garlic bulb so all cloves are exposed. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake on 400F for 35-40 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and carefully open from foil. You may want to wait a few minutes for it to cool before removing cloves from skin.
- Place chickpeas in food processor, along with salt, pepper, tahini, stock, lemon juice, and chili pepper. Blend until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Stop to scrape sides of processor, as necessary.
- Next add roasted garlic cloves and olive oil. Blend another 1-2 minutes. Pour into bowl and garnish with pesto and sunflower seeds, if using. Enjoy!