Made with a humble can of lentils, tahini, lemon and some other basic pantry staples, this creamy, flavourful lentil hummus recipe is a delicious twist on a classic! Serve this lentil dip with your favourite chips, pita or veggie sticks.
You know how we love easy dips around here!
Hummus is a staple in our home and ever since I started making my own way back when there’s no going back to store-bought.
Today, there’s a little twist. Instead of the traditional chickpea hummus, I’m sharing a lentil hummus recipe … and talk about easy!
You literally place the ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth and then add some water until you get the consistency that you enjoy best!
Why We Love Lentil Hummus
- Using a humble can of lentils and some other basic ingredients, it’s pretty inexpensive
- It comes together in less than 10 minutes (as little as 5 minutes if you work quickly)
- Can be enjoyed as a lentil dip or as a spread on your favourite sandwich or wrap
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Dried Lentils Instead?
If you’d rather use dried lentils, go for it.
Just pick ’em over (meaning remove and discard any rocks, foreign bits and imperfect lentils that may be in with the lentils). Then, rinse, drain and cook the lentils.
Try red, green or brown. They all have different cook times and will have a slight variance in flavour and colour, but they’re totally usable here.
I prefer canned lentils, though, because they’re just so darn convenient and makes this blender hummus come together super quickly.
How to Serve
Enjoy this lentil dip with:
- Tortilla chips
- Pita bread
- Veggie sticks
- As a spread on your favourite sandwich (like this veggie sandwich) or wrap
- As a base for a hummus bowl and pile on delicious toppings, like crispy tofu and veggies.
More Yummy Dip Recipes
Hope you love this canned lentil dip as much as we do!
If you make this lentil hummus recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to hear how you enjoyed!
Lentil Hummus (made in minutes)
- 19 ounce can of lentils , rinsed and drained (about 2 cups or a 540 millilitre can)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or chipotle powder)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water (or more for a looser or thinner consistency)
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Canned lentils
- Sesame seeds
- Cilantro , chopped
- Green onion or chives , chopped
- Drizzle of spicy or regular olive oil
- Place lentils, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper powder, salt and pepper in a high-powered blender. Cover and blend, stopping to scrape sides of blender, as necessary, with a rubber spatula.Note: Reserve some lentils, if you like, for garnish.
- With processor going, drizzle in cold cold water until you've reached your desired consistency. Once done, taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary.
- Transfer hummus to a serving dish and garnish (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Enjoy with your favourite chips, pita bread, or veggie sticks.Note: Enjoy immediately or properly store in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.