Made with a humble can of lentils, tahini, lemon and some other basic pantry staples, this creamy, flavourful lentil hummus recipe is a delicious twist on a classic! Serve this lentil dip with your favourite chips, pita or veggie sticks.
You know how we easy dips around here!
Hummus is a staple in our home and ever since I started making my own way back when, there’s no going back to store-bought.
Today, there’s a little twist. Instead of the traditional chickpea hummus, I’m sharing a lentil hummus recipe….
And talk about easy!
You literally place the ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth and then add some water until you get the consistency that you enjoy best!
Why We Love Lentil Hummus
- Using a humble can of lentils and some other basic ingredients, it’s pretty budget friendly
- It comes together in less than 10 minutes (as little as 5 minutes if you work quickly)
- Can be enjoyed as a lentil dip or as a spread on your favourite sandwich or wrap
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Dried Lentils Instead?
If you’d rather use dried lentils, go for it.
Just pick ’em over (meaning check for any rocks/pebbles and foreign bits that may be in with the lentils). Discard those. Then, rinse and cook/drain before using.
Try red, green or brown. They all have different cook times and will have a slight variance in flavour and colour, but they’re totally usable here.
I prefer canned lentils, though, because they’re just so darn convenient and makes this blender hummus come together super quickly.
How to Serve
Enjoy this lentil dip with:
- Tortilla chips
- Pita bread
- Veggie sticks
- As a spread on your favourite sandwich (like this veggie sandwich) or wrap
- As a base for a hummus bowl and pile on delicious toppings, like crispy tofu and veggies.
More Dip Recipes You May Enjoy
- Mediterranean White Bean Dip – Using canned beans and garnished with lots of toppings, this bean dip is creamy and delicious with veggie sticks.
- Green Goddess Hummus -Loaded with fresh herbs and a pretty green hue, this hummus is a great way to use some of those herbs in your garden.
- Black Bean Dip – With a little smoky heat and colourful toppings, this dip comes together in about 10 minutes.
- Beet Cashew Dip – Vibrant, savoury and flavourful. Always a party favourite.
Hope you love this canned lentil dip as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this lentil hummus recipe? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Lentil Hummus (made in minutes)
- 19 ounce can of lentils , rinsed and drained (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or chipotle powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water (or more for a looser consistency)
Suggested Garnish Options
- canned lentils (to taste)
- sesame seeds (to taste)
- freshly chopped cilantro (to taste)
- freshly chopped green onion or chives (to taste)
- drizzle of spicy or regular olive oil (to taste)
- Place all ingredients down to black pepper in a high-powered blender. Cover and blend, stopping to scrape sides of blender as necessary.Note: Reserve some lentils, if you like, for garnish.
- Add cold water, until you've reached your desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary.
- Portion into a serving dish and garnish, as desired. Enjoy with your favourite chips, pita bread, or veggie sticks.