Made with a humble can of lentils, tahini, lemon and some other basic pantry staples, this creamy, flavourful lentil hummus recipe is a delicious twist on a classic! Serve this lentil dip with your favourite chips, pita or veggie sticks.
You know how we easy dips around here!
Hummus is a staple in our home and ever since I started making my own way back when, there’s no going back to store-bought.
Today, there’s a little twist. Instead of the traditional chickpea hummus, I’m sharing a lentil hummus recipe….
And talk about easy!
You literally place the ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth and then add some water until you get the consistency that you enjoy best!
Why We Love Lentil Hummus
- Using a humble can of lentils and some other basic ingredients, it’s pretty budget friendly
- It comes together in less than 10 minutes (as little as 5 minutes if you work quickly)
- Can be enjoyed as a lentil dip or as a spread on your favourite sandwich or wrap
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Dried Lentils Instead?
If you’d rather use dried lentils, go for it.
Just pick ’em over (meaning check for any rocks/pebbles and foreign bits that may be in with the lentils). Discard those. Then, rinse and cook/drain before using.
Try red, green or brown. They all have different cook times and will have a slight variance in flavour and colour, but they’re totally usable here.
I prefer canned lentils, though, because they’re just so darn convenient and makes this blender hummus come together super quickly.
How to Serve
Enjoy this lentil dip with:
- Tortilla chips
- Pita bread
- Veggie sticks
- As a spread on your favourite sandwich (like this veggie sandwich) or wrap
- As a base for a hummus bowl and pile on delicious toppings, like crispy tofu and veggies.
More Dip Recipes You May Enjoy
- Mediterranean White Bean Dip – Using canned beans and garnished with lots of toppings, this bean dip is creamy and delicious with veggie sticks.
- Green Goddess Hummus -Loaded with fresh herbs and a pretty green hue, this hummus is a great way to use some of those herbs in your garden.
- Black Bean Dip – With a little smoky heat and colourful toppings, this dip comes together in about 10 minutes.
- Beet Cashew Dip – Vibrant, savoury and flavourful. Always a party favourite.
Hope you love this canned lentil dip as much as we do!
Did you make this lentil hummus recipe? That’s awesome! Please leave a comment below. Love to hear how you enjoyed it. Many thanks!
Lentil Hummus (made in minutes)
- 19 ounce can of lentils , rinsed and drained (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or chipotle powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water (or more for a looser consistency)
Suggested Garnish Options
- canned lentils (to taste)
- sesame seeds (to taste)
- freshly chopped cilantro (to taste)
- freshly chopped green onion or chives (to taste)
- drizzle of spicy or regular olive oil (to taste)
- Place all ingredients down to black pepper in a high-powered blender. Cover and blend, stopping to scrape sides of blender as necessary.Note: Reserve some lentils, if you like, for garnish.
- Add cold water, until you've reached your desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary.
- Portion into a serving dish and garnish, as desired. Enjoy with your favourite chips, pita bread, or veggie sticks.