Made with a humble can of lentils, tahini, lemon and some other basic pantry staples, this creamy, flavourful lentil hummus recipe is a delicious twist on a classic! Serve this lentil dip with your favourite chips, pita or veggie sticks.
You know how we love easy dips around here!
Hummus is a staple in our home and ever since I started making my own way back when there’s no going back to store-bought.
Today, there’s a little twist. Instead of the traditional chickpea hummus, I’m sharing a lentil hummus recipe (and talk about easy)!
You literally place the ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth and then add some water until you get the consistency that you enjoy best!
Why We Love This Lentil Hummus Recipe
- Using a humble can of lentils and some other basic ingredients, this lentil hummus recipe is pretty inexpensive.
- It comes together in about 10 minutes.
- It can be enjoyed as a lentil dip or as a spread on a sandwich or wrap.
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
Can I Use Dried Lentils Instead?
If you’d rather use dried lentils, go for it.
Just pick ’em over (meaning remove and discard any rocks, foreign bits and imperfect lentils that may be in with the lentils). Then, rinse, drain and cook the lentils.
Try red, green or brown. They all have different cook times and will have a slight variance in flavour and colour, but they’re totally usable here.
I prefer canned lentils, though, because they’re just so darn convenient and makes this blender hummus come together super quickly.
How To Enjoy This Dip
Enjoy this lentil dip with any of these:
- Tortilla chips
- Pita bread
- Veggie sticks
For a twist, instead of dipping things into the dip, you can also enjoy it as a spread on a sandwich or wrap, or as a base for a hummus bowl.
More Yummy Dip Recipes
If you make this lentil hummus recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
- 1 (19-ounce) can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, or chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water, or more for a looser or thinner consistency
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Canned lentils
- Sesame seeds
- Cilantro, chopped
- Green onion or chives, chopped
- Drizzle of spicy or regular olive oil
- Place lentils, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a high-powered blender. Blend, stopping to scrape sides of blender, as necessary, with a rubber spatula.Note: Reserve some lentils, if you like, for garnish.
- With blender going, drizzle in cold cold water until you've reached your desired consistency. Once done, taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary.
- Transfer hummus to a serving dish and garnish to taste (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Serve with your favourite chips, pita bread, or veggie sticks.Note: Enjoy immediately or properly store in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!