Loaded with homemade refried black beans, brown rice, veggies, creamy avocado and salty crumbled cheese, this refried bean burrito recipe is sure to be a favourite and a delicious way to mix up your next taco Tuesday!
Remember those refried beans I shared with you all a little while back?
Well, today I’m putting them to good use in another recipe.
I actually put a little spin on the beans by making refried black beans. I simply subbed out the pinto beans for black beans. Easy peasy and just as delish!
Aside from quesadillas, these refried beans make the most delicious veggie burritos.
There’s hearty beans, brown rice, bell pepper, corn, avocado and crumbled, salty cheese.
These bean burritos are delicious on their own, but make things even more substantial by servings with tortilla chips and salsa. So good!
Why We Love Refried Bean Burritos
- If you have rice and refried beans prepped ahead of time (or simply have leftovers), these veggie burritos come together in minutes!
- They’re loaded with colourful ingredients
- This refried bean burrito recipe tastes so darn good!
How to Make Bean Burritos
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Cook some onion, bell pepper, corn and seasoning in a pan for a few minutes.
- Then add some minced garlic and cook for another minute. Turn off heat.
- Spread some refried beans in the centre of each flour tortilla.
- Top with cooked rice.
- Next goes the bell pepper mixture.
- Sliced avocado goes next.
- Pile on some crumbled cheese.
- Wrap up your burrito (instructions on how to wrap a burrito follows).
- Cook in a dry pan on both sides until the outside gets a little colour.
How to Wrap Burritos
- Roll up the bottom half of your tortilla, covering your filling and then gently rolling it back towards you to tighten.
- Bring the bottom of the sides up a little, so it looks like a little triangle on both sides.
- Fold over each side.
- Now, place your hands over the burrito, tucking in and rolling up as you go. There ya have it! Your burrito filling is tucked in nice and cozy, soon ready to be devoured.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Do I Have to Use Homemade Refried Beans?
Not at all!
I make refried beans on the regular so often have on hand.
Having said that, I have used store-bought refried beans and they also work in this burrito. Use what you have, I say!
More Recipe Tips
If your tortillas are larger (or smaller) than the ones used here, you may have to adjust the quantity of each filling.
Speaking of quantity, this recipe yields 2 refried bean burritos (based on your tortillas being about 9.5 inches in diameter). You can easily double the recipe if feeding more people (or if you’re extra hungry).
The avocado was simply sliced. However, if you’d rather dollop on some guacamole, go for it!
Depending on what you like (and if you want these burritos to be vegetarian or vegan, for example), you can mix up the cheese (or omit). Shredded cheddar (regular or vegan) or feta (opt for vegetarian or vegan, if needed) are also delicious options.
More Delicious Handheld Recipes
Hope you love this refried bean burrito recipe as much as we do!
If you make this easy burrito recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it!
Refried Bean Burrito (seriously delicious!)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot , peeled and minced (or use 1 to 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ bell pepper , cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup canned corn , drained (or frozen corn)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 flour tortillas (about 9.5 inches or so in diameter)
- ⅔ cup refried beans (⅓ cup or 5 tablespoons per burrito)
- ½ cup cooked brown rice (¼ cup or 4 tablespoons per burrito)
- ½ avocado , peeled, pitted and sliced (you'll want about 3 to 4 slices per burrito)
- ¼ cup crumbled queso cotija (about 2 tablespoons per burrito or other cheese options as mentioned in 'Notes' below)
- Heat olive oil in a medium (about 10-inch) non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add shallot, bell pepper, corn, chili powder, cumin and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender crisp. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- To assemble each burrito, layer refried beans in the centre of the tortilla (about ⅓ cup per burrito), about ¼ cup of cooked rice on top, ½ of pepper mixture, a few slices of avocado and about 2 tablespoons of crumbled cheese per burrito. Wrap up.
- Wipe out pan and place over medium heat. Add burritos to dry pan and warm about 2 minutes per side. Enjoy as is or with your favourite chips and salsa.
- If your tortillas are larger (or smaller) than the ones used here, you may have to adjust the quantity of each filling.
- Speaking of quantity, this recipe yields 2 burritos (based on your tortillas being about 9.5 inches in diameter). You can easily double the recipe if feeding more people (or if you’re extra hungry).
- The avocado was simply sliced. However, if you’d rather dollop on some guacamole, go for it!
- Depending on what you like (and if you want these burritos to be vegetarian or vegan, for example), you can mix up the cheese (or omit). Shredded cheddar (regular or vegan) or feta (opt for vegetarian or vegan, if needed) are also delicious options.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.