Loaded with homemade refried black beans, brown rice, veggies, creamy avocado and salty crumbled cheese, this refried bean burrito recipe is sure to be a favourite and a delicious way to mix up your next taco Tuesday!
Remember those refried beans I shared with you all a little while back?
Well, today I’m putting them to good use in another recipe.
I actually put a little spin on the beans by making refried black beans. I simply subbed out the pinto beans for black beans. Easy peasy and just as delish!
Aside from quesadillas, these refried beans make the most delicious veggie burritos.
There’s hearty beans, brown rice, sautéed bell pepper and corn, avocado and queso cotija (love that salty tang)!
These bean burritos are delicious on their own, but make things even more substantial by servings with tortilla chips and salsa. So good!
Why We Love Refried Bean Burritos
- If you have rice and refried beans prepped ahead of time (or simply have leftovers), these veggie burritos come together in minutes!
- You can prepare a day ahead of time and pan fry the next day when you’re ready to enjoy
- They’re loaded with colourful ingredients
- This refried bean burrito recipe tastes so darn good!
How to Make Vegetarian Burritos
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Cook some onion, bell pepper corn and seasoning in a pan for a few minutes.
- Then add some minced garlic and cook for another minute. Turn off heat.
- Spread some refried beans in the centre of each flour tortilla.
- Top with cooked rice.
- Next goes the bell pepper mixture.
- Sliced avocado goes next.
- Pile on some crumbled cheese.
- Wrap up your burrito (instructions on how to wrap a burrito follows).
- Pan fry in a dry pan on both sides until the outside gets a little colour.
How to Wrap Burritos
- Roll up the bottom half of your tortilla, covering your filling and then gently rolling it back towards you to tighten.
- Bring the bottom of the sides up a little, so it looks like a little triangle on both sides.
- Fold over each side.
- Now, place your hands over the burrito, tucking in and rolling up as you go. There ya have it…your burrito filling is tucked in nice and cozy, soon ready to be devoured 😉
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Do I Have to Use Homemade Refried Beans?
Not at all!
I make refried beans on the regular so often have on hand.
Having said that, I have used store-bought refried beans and they also work in this burrito. Use what you have, I say!
More Recipe Tips
If your tortillas are larger (or smaller) than the ones used here, you may have to adjust the quantity of each filling.
Speaking of quantity, this recipe yields 2 refried bean burritos (based on your tortillas being about 9.5 inches in diameter). You can easily double the recipe if feeding more people (or if you’re extra hungry).
The avocado was simply sliced. However, if you’d rather dollop on some guacamole, go for it!
Don’t have queso cotija? Sub with some crumbled feta cheese, queso freso or your favourite shredded cheddar or shredded vegan cheese.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Black Bean Quesadillas – Canned black beans, corn and cheese…super hearty and so delicious!
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas – Ultra cheesy, savoury and always a favourite.
- Fish Fajitas – Cod, bell pepper and onion combine for one scrumptious dinner made in about 20 minutes.
Hope you love this refried bean burrito recipe as much as we do!
If you make this vegetarian burrito recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love hearing from you! Thank you!
Refried Bean Burrito (seriously delicious!)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot , minced (or use 1 to 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ bell pepper , cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup canned corn , drained (or frozen corn)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 flour tortillas (about 9.5 inches or so in diameter)
- ⅔ cup refried beans (⅓ cup or 5 tablespoons per burrito)
- ½ cup cooked brown rice (¼ cup or 4 tablespoons per burrito)
- ½ avocado , peeled, pitted and sliced (you'll want about 3 to 4 slices per burrito)
- ¼ cup crumbled queso cotija (about 2 tablespoons per burrito. Alternatively, use feta, queso fresco or shredded cheddar)
- In a medium (about 10-inch) non-stick pan on medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once hot, add shallot, bell pepper, corn, chili powder, cumin and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender crisp. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- To assemble each burrito, layer refried beans in the centre of the tortilla (about ⅓ cup per burrito), about ¼ cup of cooked rice on top, ½ of pepper mixture, a few slices of avocado and about 2 tablespoons of crumbled cheese per burrito. Wrap up.
- Wipe out pan and turn on medium heat. Add burrito to dry pan and warm about 2 minutes per side. Enjoy as is or with your favourite chips and salsa.
- If your tortillas are larger (or smaller) than the ones used here, you may have to adjust the quantity of each filling.
- Speaking of quantity, this recipe yields 2 burritos (based on your tortillas being about 9.5 inches in diameter). You can easily double the recipe if feeding more people (or if you’re extra hungry).
- The avocado was simply sliced. However, if you’d rather dollop on some guacamole, go for it!
- Don’t have queso cotija? Sub with some crumbled feta cheese, queso freso or your favourite shredded cheddar or shredded vegan cheese.