Take a classic hummus up a notch with flavoured hummus. This spicy buffalo hummus recipe comes together quickly and makes for such a fun and delicious snack that’s sure to disappear fast!
If you’re a buffalo sauce fan and a hummus fan, then have I got the recipe for you! This buffalo hummus is great for spice lovers!
Hubby said it was his favourite hummus to date.
There’s a secret ingredient that I use in this hummus … it’s dill!
The dill really adds something special and I totally recommend using it. It takes the hummus to another (delicious) level and will leave ya wanting to grab more chips and get dunking.
Fan of flavoured hummus? Check out this green goddess hummus!
Why We Love This Buffalo Hummus
- It’s super quick to prepare (even after peeling those chickpeas).
- Buffalo hummus is a great snack, especially with chips or veggie sticks.
- This hummus is a great way to mix things up when you have a craving for buffalo-flavoured foods.
- It can be enjoyed in a bunch of different ways.
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How To Make This Recipe
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Place peeled, rinsed and drained chickpeas in a food processor.
- Process for a little bit until the chickpeas have broken down.
- Pour in buffalo sauce, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, smoked paprika, dill, black pepper, salt and minced garlic.
- Process again.
- With the processor going, drizzle in cold water.
- Transfer the buffalo hummus to a serving dish and garnish (as desired).
Ways To Enjoy This Hummus
- With veggie sticks, like celery, carrot, bell pepper
- With slices of cucumber
- As a spread on a sandwich or wrap (like this veggie sandwich)
- Dollop over a rice or quinoa bowl
- With your favourite tortilla chips
As you can probably tell, this spicy hummus recipe is quite versatile!
Tips and Variations
- If you like more spice, feel free to add a little more buffalo sauce and maybe even a pinch or two of ground cayenne pepper.
- Blue cheese fan? Mix in a tablespoon or so of crumbled blue cheese. It’s better to start with a little (maybe a tablespoon) and add more if you feel it needs it. Blue cheese (though delicious) can be overpowering. Alternatively, instead of mixing the blue cheese in the hummus, you can garnish with some.
- This hummus was garnished with minced chives, but you can use chopped green onion instead.
- Instead of salt, try celery salt.
More Delicious Dips
If you make this buffalo hummus recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
- 1 (19-ounce) can no salt added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, or chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill (dill weed)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or celery salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water, or more for a looser or thinner consistency
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Celery leaves, chopped
- Chives, minced
- Dried dill
- Smoked paprika
- Olive oil
- Buffalo sauce
Instructions for Making Hummus in Food Processor
- Remove outer skins of chickpeas (if desired) by pinching each chickpea with your thumb and forefinger. You can discard the skins. Alternatively, you can skip this step if you are pinched for time.
- Place chickpeas in a food processor and process until they've broken down a bit, about 1 to 2 minutes.Note: You can reserve a few chickpeas for garnish (if you like).
- Add buffalo sauce, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, smoked paprika, dried dill, black pepper, salt and garlic. Process for about 2 to 3 minutes or until combined. If necessary, stop to scrape sides of processor with a rubber spatula.
- With processor going, drizzle in cold water. Add more, if desired, for a looser or thinner consistency. Once done, taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- Transfer hummus to a serving dish and garnish to taste (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Serve with chips or veggie sticks.Note: Enjoy immediately or properly store in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
Instructions for Making Hummus in Blender (even creamier results)
- Remove and discard outer skin of chickpeas. This is not necessary, but I find it gives a smoother consistency to the hummus. You can skip this step if you like or are pinched for time.
- Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender (starting with about 2 tablespoons of water) and blend, stopping to scrape sides of blender, as necessary, with a rubber spatula.Note: You can reserve a few chickpeas for garnish, if you like.
- With the blender going, slowly add a little more water (a tablespoon at a time), if necessary, and blend until you've reached your desired consistency.
- Transfer hummus to a serving dish and garnish to taste (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Serve with chips or veggie sticks. Note: Enjoy immediately or properly store in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!