Light, flavourful and made with just 4 ingredients, this pesto cod recipe is an easy seafood dinner on the table in well under 30 minutes. Sure to be a favourite, it makes for a simple weekday dinner or can be fancy enough for entertaining with family and friends!
If you’re like me, in the middle of summer you want fuss-free meals that require very little of your time but still have all the flavour.
Well, this pesto cod recipe delivers!
Since fresh cod is so plentiful around here this time of year, I knew I had to make something with it.
Why We Love Pesto Cod
- It requires 5 minutes of prep time
- Not including optional garnish, it’s made with just 4 ingredients: cod, salt, pepper and pesto
- Made on one sheet pan for easy cleanup
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How to Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Pat cod fillets dry with a paper towel and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Spread a generous spoonful of pesto over the top of the fillets.
- Bake until everything is cooked through. That’s it!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Frozen Cod?
I prefer fresh cod here as I find frozen has a lot more moisture (water) after being frozen and thawed.
However, having said that, if you do have frozen on hand, you can use it in this recipe.
Just thaw before use.
What Type of Pesto Should I Use?
I opted for a store-bought sun-dried tomato pesto. Sun-dried tomatoes are super tasty and the colour pops, especially if you garnish with basil.
Regular basil pesto would work lovely, too, or even more homemade arugula pesto.
More Tips and Variations
Pat your fish dry of excess moisture with a paper towel before seasoning.
Just a little salt and pepper was used on the cod as the pesto itself is seasoned. If you prefer a little more, go for it.
Cook time may vary, depending on how thick your pieces are. Just bake until it’s cooked through, is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. If you think it’s done, check on it; if it’s not, no biggie. Continue baking.
When removing your cod from the sheet pan, use a large spatula and be gentle. Cod is super delicate.
Make It A Meal
Any of these easy sides would pair beautifully with this pesto fish:
More Easy Cod Recipes
Hope you love this pesto cod recipe as much as we do!
If you make this oven baked cod recipe, please leave a comment below. Love to hear how you enjoyed it.
Pesto Cod (just 4 simple ingredients)
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless and skinless cod fillets or loins (four (5 ounce) pieces)
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomato pesto (or your favourite variety)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese (garnish, optional)
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley (garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pat cod dry of excess moisture with a paper towel. Place cod onto prepared baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Distribute pesto over top (about 1 heaping tablespoon per piece) and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cod is cooked through, is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Garnish, if desired, with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil and/or parsley. Enjoy!Note: Cook time can vary, depending on the thickness of your fish. My pieces were good at the 17 minute mark.
- Pat your fish dry of excess moisture with a paper towel before seasoning.
- Cook time may vary, depending on how thick your pieces are. Just bake until it’s cooked through, is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. If you think it’s done, check on it; if it’s not, no biggie. Continue baking.
- When removing your cod from the sheet pan, use a large spatula and be gentle. Cod is super delicate.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.