Healthy, light and delicious, this oven baked cod with lemon & dill is on the table in about 20 minutes! It’s a simple cod recipe that you and your family will love, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner!
Bringing you an easy sheet pan dinner today!
If you know anything about Newfoundland, you know cod is king.
This recipe for cod today, though, is light, fresh, tasty and totally low carb (if you’re into that sorta thing).
Dawn’s definitely not low carb on the regular, but I can easily devour this whole pan. #noshame
What Do I Need for This Oven Baked Cod Recipe?
- Boneless skinless cod fillets
- Seasoning, like salt, pepper and some dried dill
- Olive oil
- Veggies, like bell pepper and broccoli (or your fave)
Can I Used Frozen Fillets Instead of Fresh?
Keep in mind, though, that there will be more moisture coming out of frozen cod fillets than fresh.
So, thaw cod fish and pat any excess moisture from fillets with some paper towel. Then, proceed with the recipe!
How to Bake Cod in the Oven
Give your fillets a little pat dry with paper towel and season with salt, pepper, dill and a drizzle of olive oil.
Top with fresh lemon slices and scatter around the bright, beautiful veggies (dressed in olive oil, salt and pepper)! Bake and enjoy!
Pssst—>Serve with an extra wedge of lemon for squeezing over top. A little tartar sauce is lovely too!
At What Temperature Should Cod Be Cooked?
The recommended internal temperature of cod in Canada is 158 F and 145 F in the United States.
Use an instant read food thermometre to be sure! It’s your bff here!
How Do I Know When Cod Is Cooked?
Not all cod fillets are created equal. Cook time could vary depending on the thickness of the fish and exactly how cold the cod fillets are when you pop ’em in the oven.
Oven bake until fillets are cooked through, is opaque, flakes easily when prodded with a fork and the recommended internal temperature is reached (as mentioned above).
Tip—>If you check on the cod, thinking it’s done (and it’s not), no worries! Just pop it back in the oven until it is.
What to Serve With Cod
For an easy low carb dinner, enjoy this lemon baked cod as is. If you like to make things more substantial, you can serve with –
- Cauliflower rice like this one from Minimalist Baker.
- Roasted Beet salad
- Celeriac puree
- Parsnip mash
- Crispy potato wedges
- Skillet potatoes
Tips & Variations for Recipe Success
Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your cod fillets. Just cook until cod is completely cooked through, is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
Use a large sheet pan so the veggies are spread out and roast, rather than steam.
If opting for other veggies (besides broccoli and bell pepper) your cook time may vary.
Speaking of veggies, if you want your broccoli florets more tender, start cooking them first for 5-10 minutes before adding bell peppers and cod.
Mix up the herbs if you like! Dried thyme works lovely with cod fish.
Add a punch of spice with a sprinkling of cayenne powder.
More Recipes for Cod You May Enjoy
- Simple Fish Pie – Cod (plus salmon) in a creamy sauce and topped with cheesy mash – total comfort food right there!
- Fish Curry with Coconut Milk – A rich coconut milk base with veggies and cod make this one super satisfying. Enjoy with grilled naan or as is!
- Crispy Fish Burger – This panko fried fish burger has homemade tartar sauce and a simple coleslaw. So much better than takeaway!
Hope you love this lemon baked cod as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
P.S. If you think this recipe for cod fillets will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Oven Baked Cod with Lemon & Dill
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil -divided
- 1 tsp salt -divided
- 1 tsp black pepper -divided
- 1 lb skinless/boneless cod fillets -4 cod fillets, each around 4-5 ounces
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 lemon -sliced
- 2 bell peppers -cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 lb broccoli florets
- baking spray -to grease sheet pan (or brush with a little oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease sheet pan with baking spray or a little oil
- Pat cod dry with paper towel (to remove excess moisture) and place on large sheet pan. Sprinkle each fillet with salt (use 1/2 tsp at this time (or more to taste)), 1/2 tsp of black pepper and dill. Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Place lemon slices on top of cod.
- Toss bell pepper and broccoli florets with remaining 1/2 tsp of salt, remaining 1/2 tsp of black pepper, and remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Spread out on baking sheet around cod.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cod is cooked through, is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Serve with a lemon wedge and tartar sauce, if desired. Enjoy!Note: Cook time may vary, depending on the thickness of your fillets.
- Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your cod fillets. Just cook until cod is completely cooked through, is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- Use a large sheet pan so the veggies are spread out and roast, rather than steam.
- If opting for other veggies (besides broccoli and bell pepper) your cook time may vary.
- Speaking of veggies, if you want your broccoli florets more tender, start cooking them first for 5-10 minutes before adding bell peppers and cod.
- Mix up the herbs if you like! Dried thyme works lovely with cod fish.
- Add a punch of spice with a sprinkling of cayenne powder.