Mushroom grilled cheese for lunch, anyone? With perfectly cooked mushrooms, creamy Brie cheese and buttery bread, what’s not to love about this cheesy sandwich? This mushroom Brie grilled cheese sandwich is incredibly comforting, super tasty and definitely for those mushroom lovers out there!
It’s ultra savoury, cheesy, buttery and seriously delicious.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a staple in our home. I’m pretty much obsessed with cheese (I love it). Plus, we always have mushrooms on hand because they pack tons of flavour.
This mushroom grilled cheese is simple enough when you want to treat yourself to an indulgent lunch, yet fancy enough for a nice dinner with a side.
And if you really want to amp up the mushroom goodness, serve with a side of mushroom soup (one of my absolute faves right there).
Why We Love This Mushroom Brie Grilled Cheese
- It’s super savoury and cheesy, perfect for mushroom & cheese lovers.
- The recipe comes together in well under 25 minutes.
- It’s such a great way to fancy up a regular grilled cheese sandwich (not that those aren’t awesome).
- It can be enjoyed as a treat lunch or dinner with a side.
- Of course, this mushroom grilled cheese sandwich is super delicious!
What Can I Use Instead of Brie?
If you really want to make this sandwich (or a version thereof), but don’t have Brie on hand, try Camembert instead.
Do I Have To Remove the Rind?
Nope! The rind on Brie is edible, though some people prefer to remove.
If you’re not sure, give it a little taste before adding to your sandwich and then decide whether you want to leave on or omit.
What To Serve With It
Enjoy this mushroom Brie grilled cheese sandwich as is or enjoy with any of these sides for more of a substantial meal:
- As mentioned above, a bowl of soup is classic with a grilled cheese sandwich (a personal favourite)
- Homemade fries
- Potato chips
- Veggie sticks
- Add another veggie element to this Brie sandwich with some cooked spinach. Give it a little squeeze dry of excess moisture before adding to your sandwich.
- Baby bella (cremini) mushrooms were used, but white button are another option.
- Instead of honey, give your bread a little smear of your favourite jam. Blueberry or apricot jam works lovely here!
More Cheesy Sandwiches
If you make this mushroom Brie grilled cheese recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Mushroom Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced (about 227 grams)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
Other Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, approximately
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- Stir mushrooms and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms have nicely sautéed.
- Add garlic and thyme, stirring in, and cook another minute. Season with a pinch each of salt and black pepper.
- Stir in ½ tablespoon of butter. Remove mushrooms from the pan onto a plate for use shortly.
- Spread butter on all four slices of bread (both sides).Note: Depending on exactly how big your bread slices are (and how buttery you like things), you may use a little less (or more) butter on your bread.
- Distribute mushrooms between two of the slices. Top mushrooms with sliced Brie cheese and a drizzle of honey. Top with remaining buttered bread slices to form the two sandwiches.
- Heat a 10-inch or 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet.
- Cook sandwiches for about 3 to 4 minutes on one side.
- Carefully flip sandwiches to the other side and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the outside is golden brown, crispy and the cheese is melted inside. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!