Mushroom grilled cheese for lunch, anyone? With perfectly cooked mushrooms, creamy Brie cheese and buttery bread, what’s not to love about this cheesy sandwich? This mushroom Brie grilled cheese sandwich is incredibly comforting, super tasty and definitely for those mushroom lovers out there!
It’s ultra savoury, cheesy, buttery and seriously delicious.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a staple in our home. I’m pretty much obsessed with cheese (I love it). Plus, we always have mushrooms on hand because they pack tons of flavour.
This mushroom grilled cheese is simple enough when you want to treat yourself to an indulgent lunch, yet fancy enough for a nice dinner with a side.
And if you really want to amp up the mushroom goodness, serve with a side of mushroom soup (one of my absolute faves right there).
Why We Love Mushroom Brie Grilled Cheese
- It’s super savoury and cheesy, perfect for mushroom & cheese lovers
- Comes together well under 25 minutes
- Great way to fancy up a regular grilled cheese sandwich (not that those aren’t awesome)
- Can be enjoyed as a treat lunch or dinner with a side
- Of course, these mushroom grilled cheese sandwiches are super delicious
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
What Can I Use Instead of Brie?
If you really want to make this sandwich (or a version thereof), but don’t have Brie on hand, try Camembert instead.
Do I Have to Remove the Rind?
Nope! The rind on Brie is edible, though some people prefer to remove.
If you’re not sure, give it a little taste before adding to your sandwich and then decide whether you want to leave on or omit.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
Enjoy this mushroom Brie grilled cheese sandwich as is or enjoy with any of these sides for more of a substantial meal:
- As mentioned above, a bowl of soup is classic with a grilled cheese sandwich (a personal favourite)
- Homemade fries
- Potato chips
- Veggie sticks
More Recipe Tips & Variations
Add another veggie element to this Brie sandwich with some cooked spinach. Give it a little squeeze dry of excess moisture before adding to your sandwich.
Baby bella (cremini) mushrooms were used, but white button are another option.
Instead of honey, give your bread a little smear of your favourite jam. Blueberry or apricot jam works lovely here!
More Cheesy Sandwiches
Hope you love this gourmet grilled cheese sandwich as much as we do!
If you try this mushroom Brie grilled cheese, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Mushroom Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms , sliced (about a 227 gram package)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme , minced
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
Other Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 ounces Brie cheese , sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- Stir mushrooms and cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms have nicely sautéed.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook another minute.
- Stir in ½ tablespoon of butter. Remove mushrooms from pan onto a plate for use shortly.
- Spread butter on all four slices of bread (both sides).
- Distribute mushrooms between two of the slices.
- Top mushrooms with sliced Brie cheese and a drizzle of honey. Place remaining two buttered bread slices over top to form the two sandwiches.
- Heat a pan over medium-low to medium heat. Add sandwiches.
- Cook sandwiches for about 3 to 4 minutes on one side.
- Flip sandwiches to the other side and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the outside is golden brown, crispy and the cheese is melted inside. Enjoy!
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.