Juicy and delicious, these easy ground turkey burgers are made with some simple seasonings and garnished to taste. Made in about 20 minutes, they’re a quick dinner the whole family will love!
Today, though, I’m sharing a recipe that we’ve been enjoying pretty much on the weekly since forever. I guess I’ve been unintentionally holding out on you!
See, these juicy turkey burgers are my hubby’s creation. Usually during weekdays, hubby cooks and I cook on the weekend. It’s a great balance between us.
Pan-fried turkey burgers are one of my absolute favourite things that my hubby makes (aside from his pasta Bolognese). I happen to think they’re the best turkey burgers, but I may be a bit biased!
After being off this past week for a little holiday (and indulging a little), it’s nice to get back to a regular meal routine, and these ground turkey burgers with spicy mayo are just what I’m looking for.
Why We Love Turkey Burgers
First and foremost, turkey burgers are delicious! And, like pretty much all burgers, you can load them up with your favourite burger toppings.
Plus, ground turkey is a great alternative for those trying to limit their red meat intake.
Besides all that, this turkey burger recipe is made in about 20 minutes. How awesome is that for a quick and easy weeknight dinner?
Do I Need a Binder?
You could if you want (like egg or breadcrumbs), but I find they stay together perfectly fine without.
You literally form the ground turkey into patties, season and they’re ready to cook. Easy!
Don’t season the burgers until just before cooking.
For seasoning the turkey burgers, I used some basic pantry ingredients, like salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. You can mix things up, though, with your favourite spices or even just go with some salt and pepper.
Size of Burgers
For turkey patties, I like around 4 ounces per patty or ¼ pound. If you want more than one patty on a burger, go for it!
How To Make Ground Turkey Burgers
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- For each turkey burger patty, grab about ¼ pound of ground turkey and form into a ball with your hands. Flatten out into about a 4-inch diameter.
- Season the turkey burger patties on one side.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet and cook the turkey burgers on both sides. Note: First, add the burgers seasoned side down; you can season the second side when you flip them.
- Before the last minute of cook time is up, top the turkey burgers with shredded cheese and add 1 tablespoon of water to the skillet.
- Cover with a lid and cook until the cheese is melted and the burgers are fully cooked through. Remove when done.
- Place each burger on a bun and garnish to taste with your favourite toppings. Enjoy!
Can I Grill Them Instead?
Of course! Instead of pan-fried turkey burgers you could totally grill them if you like! Grilled turkey burgers are so good in the summer while on the deck.
Grill over medium heat, for about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until they’ve fully cooked through. Just grease your grill before placing those burgers on there.
Add cheese (if using) during the last minute or so of cook time to melt it.
The spicy mayo couldn’t be simpler to prepare! You just whisk together some mayonnaise and sriracha hot sauce and it’s ready to be used on these turkey burgers (it’s also great as a fry dip).
Tips for Making This Recipe
- For each burger, I use about ¼ pound of ground turkey and form them into a 4-inch diameter patty. If you use more ground turkey or form them to be thicker, your cook time will vary. Just fry until they’re fully cooked through.
- This recipe is for two people (or two burgers), but you could easily double.
- If you like more of a particular spice, like cayenne pepper, for example, use a little more.
- For a change, mix up the spices! Smoked paprika or cumin are other great options. Ground turkey is pretty neutral in flavour so those spices and garnishes really shine through.
- Sliced avocado was used as a garnish. You can try homemade guacamole instead!
- Instead of cheddar, try crumbled feta! Feta doesn’t melt like cheddar, but does add lovely flavour.
- Not into hot sauce mayo? Mix it up! Mainstream condiment brands are coming out with mixes, like combining ketchup with mayonnaise, for example. Your fave BBQ sauce mixed with mayonnaise would work too, or even mustard with mayonnaise. OR, you could just add your favourite spread right from the jar.
- For a change, try using lettuce leaves for the bun instead of a traditional bread bun. Boston or butter lettuce works great!
- Want to indulge a little? Add caramelized onions or crispy prosciutto to your cooked burger!
What To Serve With Burgers
Any of these sides would pair great with a turkey burger:
- Potato Salad
- Fries or potato wedges
- A simple green salad
- Green beans
- Roasted broccoli
- A small bowl of soup, like tomato basil soup
More Easy Ground Turkey Recipes
If you make this easy turkey burger recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Ground Turkey Burger Recipe (With Spicy Mayo)
Ground Turkey Burgers
- ½ pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon melted (and slightly cooled) butter, optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt, pinch per burger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, pinch per burger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, pinch per burger
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, pinch per burger
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder, pinch per burger
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil, or olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons shredded cheese per burger
- 2 burger buns, toasted if desired (cut them in half horizontally if not already precut)
- 2.5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon Sriracha or your favourite hot sauce, or to taste
Ground Turkey Burgers
- Form ground turkey into two (4 ounce) or ¼ pound balls, rolling in your hands and flatten to about a 4-inch diameter. Optional: Mix in 1 tablespoon of melted (and slightly cooled) butter into your ground turkey before making into burgers to add a little extra moisture and flavour.
- Season each burger with a pinch each of salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder (about ⅛ teaspoon of each for each burger).
- Heat avocado oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Place turkey burgers in skillet, seasoned side down, leaving a little space between the burgers. Now, season other side with a pinch each of salt, pepper cayenne pepper powder, garlic powder, onion powder. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes (they should be well seared on the bottom side). Flip the burgers and continue cooking on the other side for another 4 to 5 minutes or until the burgers are fully cooked through (the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the centre of the burgers when checked with an instant-read meat thermometer).Note: The last 1 minute of cook time, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each turkey burger. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the skillet and cover with a lid to allow the cheese to melt and burgers to finish cooking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and sriracha until combined.
Assemble the Turkey Burgers
- To assemble each turkey burger: Spread sriracha mayo (or your favourite sauce or condiment) over the cut side of both the bottom and top portions of the hamburger bun (toast first, if you like). Place turkey burger on the bottom bun, then garnish (if desired) with your favourite burger toppings. Place the top bun over top. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!