Juicy and delicious, these easy ground turkey burgers are made with some simple seasonings and garnished to taste. Made in under 20 minutes, they make for a quick dinner the whole family will love!
Today, though, I’m sharing a recipe that we’ve been enjoying pretty much on the weekly since forever! I guess I’ve been holding out on you guys…not intentionally, though.
See, these juicy turkey burgers are my hubby’s creation. Usually during weekdays, hubby cooks and I cook on the weekend. It’s a great balance between us!
Pan fried turkey burgers are one of my absolute favourite things that my hubby makes (aside from his homemade pasta and bolognese). I happen to think they’re the best turkey burgers, but I may be a bit biased 😉
After being off this past week for a little holiday, it’s nice to get back to a ‘normal’ eating routine and these ground turkey burgers are just what I’m looking for!
Are Turkey Burgers Healthy?
Ground turkey is pretty lean (i.e. low in fat), high in protein, and lower in cholesterol and calories than, say, ground beef. It’s a delicious alternative for those trying to limit their red meat intake.
And, besides the health factor, if you are eating something, you want it to taste delicious and these healthy turkey burgers hit the spot!
Do I Need a Binder?
You could if you want (like egg or breadcrumbs), but I find they stay together perfectly fine without.
You literally form the ground turkey into patties, season and they’re ready to cook. Easy peasy!
Can I Make These Ahead of Time?
You can certainly form the patties ahead of time, place on a piece of wax paper and cover, stored in the fridge.
Don’t season the burgers until just before cooking.
For seasoning turkey burgers, I used some basic pantry spices, like salt, pepper, cayenne pepper powder, garlic powder and onion powder. You can mix things up, though, with your favourite seasonings or even just go with some salt and pepper.
Size of Burgers
For turkey patties, I like around 4 ounces per patty or 1/4 pound. If you want more than one patty on a burger, go for it!
How to Make Ground Turkey Burgers
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics –
- Grab about 1/4 pound of ground turkey and form into a ball with your hands. Flatten out into about a 4 inch diametre. Note: Too add extra moisture (and flavour) to your ground turkey burgers, mix in melted (and slightly cooled) butter.
- Season with salt and pepper on one side.
- Next, season with cayenne, garlic powder and onion powder.
- In a pan (I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet) on medium, heat some oil.
- Add turkey patties, seasoned side down.
- Now, season second side
- Fry about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Before the last minute of cook time is up, top turkey burgers with shredded cheese and place about 1 tablespoon of water in the pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook until cheese is melted and burgers are cooked through
- Remove burgers from pan, place on buns and garnish to taste. Enjoy!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Temperature to Cook Turkey Burgers
The recommended internal temperature for ground turkey is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. I highly recommended investing in a food thermometer to be sure. They’re inexpensive and a handy tool to have in the kitchen.
To ensure you end up with moist turkey burgers, you want them cooked, of course, but not overcooked. The addition of melted butter (while totally optional), is also a good idea!
Can I Grill Instead?
Of course! Instead of pan fried turkey burgers you could totally grill them if you like! Grilled turkey burgers are so good in the summer while on the deck.
Grill on medium heat, for about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until they’ve cooked through. Just grease your grill before placing those burgers on there.
Add cheese (if using) during the last minute or so of cook time to melt it.
More Tips & Variations
I like to use 1/ 4 pound of ground turkey with about a 4-inch diametre patty for each. If you use more ground turkey or form them to be thicker, your cook time will vary. Just fry until completely cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you like more of a particular spice, like cayenne, for example, use a little more. There’s no going wrong.
Speaking of spices, if you like other varieties, use those. Smoked paprika or cumin are other great options. Ground turkey is pretty neutral in flavour so those spices and garnishes really shine through.
Sliced avocado was used as a garnish. You can try homemade guacamole instead!
Instead of cheddar, try crumbled feta! Feta doesn’t melt like cheddar, but does add lovely flavour.
Not into sriracha mayo? Mix it up! Mainstream condiment brands are coming out with mixes, like combining ketchup with mayo, for example. Your fave bbq sauce mixed with mayo would work too, or even mustard with mayo. OR, you could just add your favourite spread right from the jar.
This recipe is for two people (or two burgers), but you could easily double for the fam jam!
Want to lighten things?
You can slash some calories and fat, for instance, by omitting cheese, using Greek yogurt instead of mayo for the sriracha sauce or use lighter condiment, like bbq sauce or mustard.
Looking for low carb burgers? Try using lettuce leaves for the ‘bun’ instead of a traditional bread bun. Boston or butter lettuce works great!
Want to indulge a little?
Add caramelized onions or crispy prosciutto to your cooked burger!
Mix in some richness with a tablespoon of melted butter when mixing up your patties.
What to Serve with Burgers
- Potato Salad
- Fries or wedges
- A simple green salad
- Green beans
- Roasted broccoli
- A small bowl of soup, like tomato soup
Hope you love this easy turkey burger recipe as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make these pan fried turkey burgers? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Ground Turkey Burgers (with sriracha mayo)
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon melted (and slightly cooled) butter (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil or vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese (or 1/4 cup or about 2 tablespoons per burger)
- 2 burger buns
- 2.5 tablespoons light mayo (your favourite variety)
- 1/2 tablespoon sriracha (or to taste)
Suggested Garnish Options & Other Condiments
- lettuce (to taste)
- sliced tomato (to taste)
- sliced avocado (to taste)
- slice red onion (to taste)
- bbq sauce (to taste)
- sliced pickle (to taste)
- banana peppers (to taste)
Ground Turkey Burgers
- Form ground turkey into two (4 ounce) or 1/4 pound balls, rolling in your hands and flatten to about a 4-inch diametre. Place on a piece of wax paper. Optional: Mix in 1 tablespoon of melted (and slightly cooled) butter into your ground turkey before making into patties to add a little extra moisture and flavour.
- Season each patty with a pinch each of salt and pepper, as well as a pinch each of remaining spices.
- Heat oil in a skillet (I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet) on medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add turkey patties seasoned side down.
- Now, season other side with salt, pepper and remaining spices. Cook 4 to 5 minutes and then flip to continue cooking another 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through and internal temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit.Note: The last 1 minute of cook time, sprinkle cheese on top of each turkey burger, add about 1 tablespoon of water to pan and cover to allow cheese to melt and burgers finish cooking.
- Remove burgers from pan and place on buns (toasted, if you like) that have been spread with sriracha mayo. Garnish to taste. Enjoy!
- Mix together mayo and sriracha until combined.