Not just any chicken sandwich, this chicken pesto sandwich combines sun-dried pesto mayo, lots of veggies, herbaceous basil and provolone cheese on a toasted baguette. When lunch calls, this baguette sandwich is the answer! It’s too good to miss.
We’re kinda obsessed with sandwiches in our home. No joke. I think we could eat them for every meal.
Bread, protein, veggies, a wicked sauce. I mean, what’s not to love, am I right?
Plus, I’m pretty sure we all have some sort of ingredients on hand at all times to make a sandwich.
Today, though, I’m sharing this baguette sandwich, specifically a chicken pesto sandwich.
Why We Love This Chicken Pesto Sandwich on Baguette
- It comes together in about 10 minutes.
- This sandwich is a great way to use leftover chicken.
- It’s such a fun summertime picnic idea.
- Of course, it’s super yummy!
Two ingredients, but incredibly yummy, this pesto mayo adds so much flavour to this chicken sandwich.
You literally combine the mayonnaise and pesto in a dish and mix until it’s incorporated.
Assembling the Sandwich
For each sandwich (this recipe makes two), cut the baguette in half, toast, and generously spread the pesto mayo over the inside of the bun.
Then it’s just a matter of topping with veggies, cooked chicken and basil.
Finish it off with some sliced provolone (because, why not cheese?), then place the top bun over top and devour!
Do I Have to Use Baguette?
Not at all! I really enjoy this chicken sandwich on a baguette, but your favourite sandwich bread would also work or even a nice ciabatta bun.
- I used sun-dried tomato pesto for the pesto mayo, but you could use a regular basil variety if you like. Heck, even my arugula pesto would work great here.
- If you want to add another element of flavour, crispy prosciutto or speck would be a yummy addition to this chicken pesto sandwich.
- Craving some spice? Add some (patted dry) sliced pickled banana peppers.
What To Serve With This Sandwich
Looking to make things more substantial? Serve this chicken pesto sandwich with any of these:
- Tomato soup
- Potato chips
- Homemade fries
- Side salad
More Easy Sandwich Ideas
- Turkey Panini Sandwich With Prosciutto and Strawberries
- Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Chicken Prosciutto Sandwich
- Chicken Avocado Sandwich
If you make this chicken pesto sandwich on baguette, be sure to leave a comment below!
Chicken Pesto Sandwich on Baguette
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoons pesto, depending on how much pesto flavour you want
- 2 (9-inch) baguettes or sub buns
- ½ cup baby arugula
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tomato, sliced
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces cooked chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces, sliced or shredded (about 140 grams or a little more than ¼ of a pound)
- 8 to 10 basil leaves
- 3 to 4 slices provolone cheese
- Make the pesto mayo: In a bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and pesto until well combined.
- Carefully cut baguettes in half lengthwise (while still leaving the two halves attached), toast to desired doneness and spread the pesto mayo (to taste) over the inside of each bun.
- Now it's time to assemble the sandwiches by dividing the ingredients between the buns. Top each bottom bun with some arugula leaves, red onion, tomato, pinch of salt and pepper, chicken, basil leaves and provolone cheese (I used 1.5 slices per sandwich). Place the top bun over top to form each sandwich. Cut each sandwich in half, if you like. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!
This is one spectacular sandwich, Dawn! It’s exactly what I want for lunch today!
David @ Spiced
Holy cow – this is one impressive looking sammich, Dawn! I love sandwiches, too, and I’m already wishing it was lunchtime here. That sun-dried pesto mayo sounds fantastic, and I can’t stop looking at that loaf of bread – it looks good enough to eat by itself! (After all, a sandwich is only as good as the bread it starts with, right??) I love all of the flavors in this one…perfect summer lunch right there!
Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers
Looks perfect to me! Loving the pesto mayo. Such a great way to add saucy flavour to a great sandwich!
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop
Lunch is calling right now!!! I’m so glad this sammy can be ready lickity split so my rumbling belly doesn’t have to wait! Love all the flavors on this sandwich. 🙂