Absolutely loaded with creamy avocado, melty cheese and green vegetables, these scrumptious avocado and veggie quesadillas come together quickly and are such a satisfying option for a quick weeknight dinner or game day eats.
Since trying our hand at growing kale this past summer, we’ve eaten so much of the stuff, putting it in green salads, smoothies, soup and now quesadillas. And I already know we’ll grow more next year. There’s nothing like homegrown, is there?
If you like my cheesy spinach quesadillas, then you’re going to love these avocado and vegetable quesadillas too.
With melty cheese, green veggies and creamy avocado, these quesadillas pack a punch in the flavour department. And, bonus, they come together in under 30 minutes!
Instead of serving quesadillas with guacamole, I decided to put some mashed avocado inside these deliciously green quesadillas … and is it ever good!
How To Make Avocado and Veggie Quesadillas
Here is an overview of how to make these quesadillas (full details are in the recipe card below):
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, then sauté the kale and bell pepper. Stir in the garlic and green onion and cook until the garlic is nice and fragrant.
- Mix together the shredded mozzarella and Gruyere cheese in a bowl and set that aside.
- In another bowl, mash the avocado with some lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Now it’s time to assemble the vegetable quesadillas! Top one half of each tortilla with some cheese, then spread over some mashed avocado and top with the veggies and more cheese.
- Fold over each tortilla so it’s a half-moon shape.
- Cook the quesadillas in a greased pan until they’re golden and crispy on the outside and the cheese is nice and melty inside. Once all the quesadillas are cooked, then it’s just a matter of cutting each quesadilla in half.
Tips and Variations
- To really amp up the green colour in these avocado and veggie quesadillas, you could use spinach flavoured tortillas instead of the regular version.
- I used a green bell pepper to really keep with the green vegetable filling. If you just happen to have a red, yellow or orange bell pepper on hand, for example, no worries. Use that!
- For the avocado filling, I mashed an avocado with some fresh lime juice, salt and pepper. If you want to use guacamole instead, go for it!
- There are two varieties of cheese used in these vegetable quesadillas (mozzarella and Gruyere). If you only have mozzarella, no worries! Just replace the Gruyere with more mozzarella.
- Add a little spice or seasoning by mixing in some crushed red pepper flakes, ground cayenne pepper or a pinch of ground cumin.
What To Serve With It
For dipping, full-fat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream is delicious, as well as salsa (particularly green salsa or salsa verde).
More Yummy Quesadilla Recipes
If you make these quesadillas with avocado and veggies, be sure to leave a comment below!
Avocado and Veggie Quesadillas
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces chopped kale, leaves removed from stems (about 3 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, about 1 cup
- 2 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese, about ½ cup
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ lime, juice (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 large flour tortillas, each about 7 to 8 inches in diameter
- Make the veggie filling: Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the kale, bell pepper, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes until the kale is wilted and the bell pepper is tender-crisp. Stir in the green onion and garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Combine the cheese: Mix together the mozzarella and Gruyere cheese in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the mashed avocado: In another bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Assemble the quesadillas: Distribute half of the shredded cheese mixture (about 3 ounces or ¾ cup) among one half of each tortilla. Top the cheese with the mashed avocado (it's okay if some of the cheese moves as you are spreading on the avocado). Then divide the kale and bell pepper mixture among all the quesadillas (on top of the avocado). Top with the remaining shredded cheese mixture (about 3 ounces or ¾ cup). Fold each tortilla over so it's a half-moon shape.
- Pan fry the quesadillas: Wipe out the frying pan that you cooked the kale mixture in. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the pan over medium-low heat. Gently swirl the oil around the pan to coat. Place two quesadillas in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until they're golden brown and crispy on the outside and the cheese is melted inside (watch carefully so they don't burn). Once done, remove them from the pan and place onto a cutting board. Repeat to cook the remaining two quesadillas (adding the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil first).
- Once all the quesadillas are cooked, cut each in half, serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!