Take a trip down foodie memory lane with this homemade vegetable alphabet soup recipe! With plenty of hearty veggies and alphabet pasta in a rich tomato based broth, it’s belly warming with every spoonful.
Bringing you a homemade version of a childhood favourite – vegetable alphabet soup!
This hearty veg soup is not only delicious, it’s fun too!
With alphabet pasta, how can it *not* be fun, right??
So, ditch the canned store-bought stuff and make your own vegetable soup from scratch. You’ll never look back!
How to Make Alphabet Soup
Full details on how to make this soup are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics-
- Start by cooking some onion and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Add tomato paste and stir to incorporate.
- Next goes sweet potato, carrot and celery.
- Add basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour in your canned tomatoes (rinse out your can with some water to get all that goodness) and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook.
- Stir in alphabet pasta and cook.
- Add peas and corn.
- Cook until warmed through. Remove bay leaves and discard.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
For a super hearty meal, this soup goes great with a simple grilled cheese or veggie sandwich!
Do I Have to Use Alphabet Pasta?
Well, it technically won’t be an ‘alphabet’ soup, but you sure can!
If you don’t have alphabet pasta on hand, use orzo, ditalini or another small pasta.
Cut your veggies relatively the same size so they cook evenly.
Unsalted vegetable broth was used here. If you use anything otherwise, like ‘low sodium’ or ‘regular’ you may need to use less salt.
Speaking of broth, you can use our homemade veggie broth if you like.
This soup thickens up as it cools. Just add a little more broth upon reheating.
Depending on your tomatoes, you may want to add a pinch of sugar to counterbalance some of the acidity. Just add to taste, if desired.
Enjoy as is, with a slice of your favourite bread or crackers (store-bought or try these homemade crackers).
Sub out the sweet potato for regular potato, if that’s what you have on hand or prefer.
Instead of frozen peas, try green beans instead (if they’re on the larger/longer side of things, just chop smaller before adding to the pot).
Diced tomatoes are recommended here. This little pieces of tomato add texture and flavour, in my opinion. However, if you don’t have those, you can use whole peeled canned tomatoes and just break up with your hands or a potato masher.
Other Vegetable Soup Recipes You May Enjoy
- Celery Root Soup – With plenty of root veggies, this hearty soup is perfect on a cold day!
- Vegetable Rice Soup – A classic and for good reason! This creamy (dairy free) vegetable soup is super comforting.
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup – Using canned tomatoes, this simple soup is delicious with a grilled cheese for dunking.
Hope you love this recipe for alphabet soup as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this vegetable alphabet soup recipe? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Vegetable Alphabet Soup Recipe (wholesome & delish!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium sweet potato , peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 carrot , peeled and sliced no more than 1/4 inch thick or diced small (about 1 heaping cup)
- 2 celery , sliced no more than 1/4 inch thick or diced small (about 1 heaping cup)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1.25 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 796 ml can unsalted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups unsalted vegetable broth (see recipe 'Notes' regarding broth used).
- 1 cup alphabet pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once oil is shimmering, add onion and garlic and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, carrot, celery, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaves and chili flakes (if using). Stir to combine.
- Pour in canned tomatoes and broth. Bring to simmer, reduce to a medium-ish simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes or until veggies are almost done.
- Add pasta, stir in, and cook 10 minutes.
- Add peas and corn, stir in and cook 5 minutes or until warmed through. Remove bay leaves and discard. Portion and enjoy!Note: Soup will thicken as it cools (because of the pasta). You can loosen by adding a little more broth or water.
- Unsalted vegetable broth was used here. If you use anything otherwise, like ‘low sodium’ or ‘regular’ you may need to use less salt.
- Cut your veggies relatively the same size so they cook evenly.
- This soup thickens up as it cools. Just add a little more broth upon reheating.
- Depending on your tomatoes, you may want to add a pinch of sugar to counterbalance some of the acidity. Just add to taste, if desired.
- More recipe tips & variations in body of post above.