This cheesy scrambled egg sandwich on a brioche bun takes minutes to prepare and is so ridiculously tasty. Garnish with toppings like tomato and avocado and you’re set for one deliciously easy egg sandwich, perfect for any meal of the day!
You know how we love handheld recipes here on Girl Heart Food and this scrambled egg sandwich is no exception!
It literally comes together in minutes and is so satisfying.
If you watched the movie Birds of Prey, you may remember Harley Quinn’s obsession with breakfast sandwiches. Yep, that’s basically me. This isn’t the sandwich in the movie, but it’s definitely a favourite (and I hope yours, too)!
Even though the components are breakfast-y, this would be delicious for any meal of the day, just like my pop’s western sandwich recipe).
And I use a variation of a trick from my childhood days for making these breakfast sandwiches. It’s the way the cheese component is prepared.
Clearly, I have a lot of cheese forward recipes around here (hello pb and jam grilled cheese). That’s because I love it!
When I was younger (and coming home from school), for a snack, I’d throw some cubes of cheddar on a plate and zap in the microwave. It would get super melty and I’d enjoy with crackers. Plus, it literally took seconds to prepare.
So, in an effort to not overcook the scrambled eggs and get a nice cheesy layer, I placed some shredded cheese in a pan and warmed until it was mostly melted. Then I scooped up with a straight edge spatula and onto the eggs it went. Easy!
How To Make This Cheesy Scrambled Egg Sandwich Recipe
Full details are in the recipe below, but here are the basics:
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, a pinch of salt and green onion (scrambled eggs with onions is so yummy).
- Melt some butter in a non-stick frying pan, add the eggs and cook them. Once the eggs are cooked, immediately remove them from the pan so they don’t overcook.
- Toast the brioche buns and butter the inside (cut sides) of them.
- Melt some cheese in a non-stick frying pan.
- Assemble the eggs onto the bottom buns and top with the melted cheese, tomato and avocado. Drizzle hot sauce over the inside (cut side) of the top buns.
- Place over the top buns to form your sandwiches. That’s it, easy egg sandwiches ready to be enjoyed. Don’t forget those napkins!
How Many Eggs Do I Need per Sandwich?
For two scrambled egg sandwiches, I like to use five large eggs so things are nice and substantial.
I would recommend no less than two eggs per sandwich.
Can I Double the Recipe?
This recipe makes two sandwiches, but you can easily double.
Tips and Variations
- As soon as your scrambled eggs are cooked, remove them from the pan so they don’t overcook.
- Don’t have green onion? Try chives instead. Alternatively, you can use a pinch of onion powder or omit if onions aren’t your thing.
- A pinch of garlic powder or ground cayenne pepper works lovely in the scrambled eggs too.
- Garnish as you like! Tomato and avocado are used here, but other delicious options are baby spinach, arugula and sliced onion.
- This sandwich is made on a brioche bun, and I think it really adds to the delicious flavour. If you don’t have those on hand, you can certainly use a regular hamburger bun, an English muffin or your favourite bread.
What To Serve With It
If you’re looking for something to go with this cheese and egg sandwich, try my skillet potatoes or some fresh fruit.
And, of course, coffee, tea and juice is always delicious with breakfast.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you make these scrambled egg sandwiches, be sure to leave a comment below!
Scrambled Egg Sandwich With Cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk, or cream or half-and-half
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1.5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 brioche hamburger buns, cut in half horizontally (if not already precut)
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese, or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sliced tomato, garnish to taste (optional)
- Sliced avocado, garnish to taste (optional)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or to taste (I like Sriracha or buffalo sauce)
- Combine eggs with milk, pinch of salt and green onion in a bowl. Whisk until foamy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch non-stick frying pan over medium-low to medium heat.
- Once butter has melted, pour in eggs.
- Allow the eggs to cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute without stirring.
- Then as the bottom of the eggs begin to set, run a spatula along the outer edge of the eggs and through them (from the edge of the pan to the centre). Continue cooking the eggs, gently dragging the spatula through them and folding as necessary, so that they form large, soft curds (start to solidify) and they're cooked through. Once cooked, the eggs should be moist, but have no runny/liquid egg remaining.
- Transfer the eggs to a plate (so they don't overcook) and set aside.
- Toast buns (use a toaster oven or toast in your oven). Spread the remaining ½ tablespoon of butter between the inside (cut sides) of the buns.
- Wipe out the pan (that the eggs were in).
- Add two little piles of shredded cheese to the pan and cook over medium heat just until the cheese has mostly melted.Note: If you want to skip this step, you can. You can simply use your favourite sliced cheese and put directly on the scrambled eggs if you like.
- To assemble the sandwiches: distribute the eggs between the buttered bottom buns, then top the eggs with the melted cheese. Garnish with tomato and avocado (if using). Drizzle hot sauce over the inside (cut side) of the top buns, then place them over top (with hot sauce on the inside) to form the sandwiches. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!