This cheesy scrambled egg sandwich on a brioche bun takes minutes to prepare and is so ridiculously tasty. Garnish with toppings like tomato and avocado and you’re set for one deliciously easy egg sandwich, perfect for any meal of the day!
You know how we love handheld recipes here on Girl Heart Food and this scrambled egg sandwich is no exception!
It literally comes together in minutes and is so satisfying.
If you watched the movie Birds of Prey, you may remember Harley Quinn’s obsession with breakfast sandwiches. Yep, that’s basically me. This isn’t the sandwich in the movie, but it’s definitely a favourite (and I hope yours, too)!
Even though the components are breakfast-y, this would be delicious for any meal of the day, really … just like my pop’s western sandwich recipe.
And I use a version of a trick from my childhood days for making these bad boys. It’s the way the cheese component is prepared.
Clearly, I have a lot of cheese forward recipes around here (hello pb and jam grilled cheese). That’s because I love it!
When I was younger (and coming home from school), for a snack, I’d throw some cubes of cheddar on a plate and zap in the microwave. It would get super melty and I’d enjoy with crackers. Plus, it literally took seconds to prepare.
So, in an effort to not overcook the scrambled eggs and get a nice cheesy layer, I placed some shredded cheese in a pan and warmed until it was mostly melted. Then, I scooped up with a straight edge spatula and onto the eggs it went. Easy!
How to Make This Cheesy Scrambled Egg Sandwich Recipe
Full details are in the recipe below, but here are the basics:
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs with milk and a pinch of salt.
- To eggs, add green onion (scrambled eggs with onions is so yummy).
- Melt some butter in a non-stick pan and add eggs. As the eggs start to cook, drag your spatula through to create egg curds or ribbons.
- Once the eggs are cooked, immediately remove them from the pan so they don’t overcook.
- Toast the brioche buns and butter the insides of them. Distribute scrambled eggs over the bottom buns.
- Melt some cheese in a non-stick pan.
- Drizzle hot sauce over the inside of the top buns and place the melted cheese on top of the eggs.
- Garnish eggs with sliced tomato and avocado.
- Place over the top buns to form your sandwiches. That’s it, easy egg sandwiches ready to be enjoyed. Don’t forget those napkins!
How Many Eggs Do I Need Per Sandwich?
For two scrambled egg sandwiches, I like to use five large eggs so things are nice and substantial.
I would recommend no less than two eggs per sandwich.
Can I Double The Recipe?
This recipe makes two sandwiches, but you can easily double.
Tips and Variations
- As soon as your scrambled eggs are cooked, remove them from the pan so they don’t overcook. Ain’t nobody got time for overcooked, rubbery eggs!
- Don’t have green onion? Try chives instead. Alternatively, you can use a pinch of onion powder or omit if onions aren’t your thing.
- A pinch of garlic powder or ground cayenne pepper works lovely in the scrambled eggs too.
- Garnish as you like! Tomato and avocado are used here, but other delicious options are baby spinach, arugula and sliced onion.
- This sandwich is made on a brioche bun, and I think it really adds to the delicious flavour. If you don’t have those on hand, you can certainly use a regular hamburger bun, an English muffin or your favourite bread.
What to Serve With It
If you’re looking for something to go with this cheese and egg sandwich, try my skillet potatoes or some fresh fruit.
And, of course, coffee, tea and juice is always delicious with breakfast.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you make these scrambled egg sandwiches, be sure to leave a comment below!
Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk, or cream or half-and-half
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 brioche hamburger buns, or your favourite hamburger buns
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or to taste
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Sliced tomato, garnish to taste (optional)
- Sliced avocado, garnish to taste (optional)
- Combine eggs with milk, pinch of salt and green onion in a bowl. Whisk until foamy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch non-stick frying pan over low heat.
- Once butter has melted, pour in eggs. Wait for 30 seconds or so and then, using a silicone spatula, start slowly drawing or pulling the spatula through the eggs to form ribbons/curds until the eggs are cooked through, but don't overcook. Remove from the pan and onto a plate.
- Toast buns (use a toaster oven or toast in your oven). Spread the remaining ½ tablespoon of butter between the insides of both buns. Drizzle hot sauce over the inside of the top buns.
- Wipe out the pan (that the eggs were in).
- Place pan over medium heat and add two little piles of shredded cheese and cook until mostly melted.
- To assemble the sandwiches: distrbute the eggs between the buttered bottom buns, then top the eggs with the melted cheese. Garnish with tomato and avocado (if using). Place top buns over top to form the sandwiches. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.