This cheesy scrambled egg sandwich on a brioche bun takes minutes to prepare and is so ridiculously tasty. Garnish with toppings like tomato and avocado and you’re set for one deliciously easy egg sandwich, perfect for any meal of the day!
You know how we love handheld recipes here on Girl Heart Food and this scrambled egg sandwich is no exception!
It literally comes together in minutes and is oh-so-satisfying.
If you watched the movie Birds of Prey, you may remember Harley Quinn’s obsession with breakfast sandwiches. Yep, that’s basically me. This isn’t the sandwich in the movie, but it definitely is a fave…and I hope yours too!
Even though the components are ‘breakfast-ey’, this would be delicious for any meal of the day, really…just like my pop’s western sandwich recipe.
And I use a version of a trick from my childhood days for making these bad boys. It’s the way the cheese component is prepared.
Clearly, I have a lot of cheese forward recipes around here (hello pb and jam grilled cheese). That’s because I LOVE it!
When I was a younger (and coming home from school), for a snack, I’d throw some cubes of cheddar on a plate and zap in the microwave. It would get super melty and I’d enjoy with crackers. Plus, it literally took seconds to prepare.
So, in an effort to not overcook the scrambled eggs AND get a nice cheesy layer, I placed some shredded cheese in a pan and warmed until it was mostly melted. Then, I scooped up with a straight edge spatula and onto the eggs it went. Easy peasy!
How to Make This Cheesy Scrambled Egg Sandwich?
Full details on how to make this egg sandwich are in the recipe below, but here are the basics –
- Whisk together eggs with milk and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in green onion (scrambled eggs with onions is so yummy!)
- Melt some butter in a non-stick pan and add eggs. As eggs start to cook, drag your spatula through to create egg curds or ribbons.
- Once it’s done, immediately remove from the pan so the eggs don’t overcook.
- Toast brioche buns and butter. Distribute scrambled eggs on bottom buns.
- Melt some cheese in a non-stick pan.
- Drizzle some hot sauce on top buns and top eggs with melty cheese.
- Garnish eggs with sliced tomato and avocado.
- Assemble your sandwich and dig in!! Don’t forget those napkins!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
How Many Eggs Do I Need Per Sandwich?
For two scrambled egg sandwiches, I used five large eggs so things were nice and substantial.
I would recommend no less than two eggs per sandwich.
Can I Double The Recipe?
This recipe makes two sandwiches, but you can easily double for the fam jam.
Tips + Variations
As soon as your scrambled eggs are cooked, remove them from the pan so they don’t overcook. Ain’t nobody got time for overcooked, rubbery eggs!
Don’t have green onion? Try chives instead. Alternatively, you can use a pinch of onion powder or omit if onions aren’t your thing.
A pinch of garlic powder or cayenne powder works lovely in the scrambled eggs too.
Garnish as you like! Tomato and avocado were used here, but other delicious options are baby spinach, arugula and sliced onion.
This sandwich is made on a brioche bun and I think it really adds to the delicious flavour. If you don’t have those on hand, you can certainly use a regular hamburger bun, an English muffin or your favourite bread.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes You May Enjoy
- Breakfast Quesadillas – Made in about 15 minutes, these combine scrambled eggs with beans, cheese and hot peppers. Easy and delicious!
- Breakfast Ham and Egg Muffins – These portable little breakfast muffins are great for meal prep for those busy days.
Hope you love this easy egg sandwich as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make these scrambled egg sandwiches? That’s awesome! Love it if you left and comment and rating below. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Cheese
- 1.5 tbsp butter -divided
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk -or cream or half and half
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese -about 5 tablespoons
- 2 brioche hamburger buns
- hot sauce -to taste
- slices of tomato -garnish, optional
- slices of avocado -garnish, optional
- With a fork, whisk eggs with milk and a pinch of salt and green onion until foamy.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a 10 inch non-stick skillet on low heat.
- Once butter has melted, pour in eggs. Wait for 30 seconds or so and then, using a rubber spatula, start drawing the spatula through the eggs to form ribbons/curds until it's cooked through, but don't overcook. Remove from pan.
- Toast buns (use a toaster oven or in your oven) and spread with remaining butter. Drizzle a little hot sauce on the top bun.
- Wipe out pan that the eggs were in and on medium heat, add two little piles of shredded cheese until mostly melted.
- For each sandwich, top bottom bun with half of the eggs, then cheese. Garnish, as desired with toppings. Enjoy!
- As soon as your scrambled eggs are cooked, remove them from the pan so they don’t overcook. Ain’t nobody got time for overcooked, rubbery eggs!
- Don’t have green onion? Try chives instead. Alternatively, you can use a pinch of onion powder or omit if onions aren’t your thing.
- A pinch of garlic powder or cayenne powder works lovely in the scrambled eggs too.
- Garnish as you like! Tomato and avocado were used here, but other delicious options are baby spinach, arugula and sliced onion.
- This sandwich is made on a brioche bun and I think it really adds to the delicious flavour. If you don’t have those on hand, you can certainly use a regular hamburger bun, an English muffin or your favourite bread.