Looking for a satisfying, quick dinner that’s perfect for meatless Monday? Look no further than this Creamy Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta. A touch of cream, sautéed mushrooms and blue cheese is tossed with pasta for a hearty, comforting meal that’s a winner every time.
I like cheese. No, actually, I love it….A LOT! Yes, cheese excites me. When I was recently asked what my favourite cheese is, I could not (and still can’t) give just one single answer. I mean, how could I? It’s basically impossible. But, one thing is for sure – blue cheese is at the tippity top of the list. Oh blue cheese, how I love thee. I love your funk, your texture and look. Blue cheese, you got it goin’ on. Of course, I enjoy it as is, in a charcuterie board or in dishes like this creamy blue cheese and mushroom pasta. When I tasted the final result of this dish, I was beyond happy with it. Case in point—>
Hubby was outside cleaning the winter tires before storing them away, blasting them with the pressure washer. I ran out of the house wearing yoga pants, hair in my Saturday mess, slippers on (no shoes) and a forkful of pasta (neighbours must have thought I was crazy if they saw me) to give him a taste. Oh, the things we do for good food, lol.
So, with that behind us, onto this delicious blue cheese and mushroom pasta, shall we?
Creamy Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta
This creamy blue cheese and mushroom pasta can be prepped and made in under 30 minutes. So, not only is this recipe perfect for Meatless Monday, it’s also an easy, super satisfying recipe for busy weeknights and I’m all about that.
Blue cheese is so rich in flavour so when serving I opted to pair this Creamy Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta with a hefty, rich cabernet sauvignon.
To prepare this recipe, you just sauté some shallot (or onion) with garlic, add mushrooms, cream and cheese and toss with the cooked pasta. I love serving this with some grilled bread brushed with olive oil and garlic. Always a winner!
If you are looking for another super yummy way to use this cheese I was introduced to a blue cheese stuffed olive martini from my good friend, Karrie, from Tasty Ever After. Just stuff the olives with blue cheese and garnish your favourite James Bond style martini. Just right for cocktails on the weekend!
Hope you love this blue cheese and mushroom pasta as much as I do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon.
P.S. If you think this Creamy Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little PIN button. Many thanks, you guys. XO
Creamy Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot -or small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic -minced
- 3 cups mushrooms -thinly sliced (I used baby bella)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/3 cup blue cheese -crumbled, plus more for garnish (about 2 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 package linguine pasta -about 200g
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley -chopped
- In a large sautee pan over medium low heat add olive oil. Add shallot and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions to al dente (linguine takes about 8 minutes). Drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- To pan, add mushrooms and cook until softened and they have released some of their moisture, about 5-10 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper and chili flakes.
- To pan, add blue cheese and cream, stirring to combine (it's ok if there are still chunks of blue cheese - I like that). Add cooked pasta & 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to pan and stir to incorporate sauce with pasta. Serve in warmed bowls and garnish with blue cheese (about 1 tbsp, crumbled, per bowl) and parsley. Enjoy!