Looking for a satisfying, quick dinner that’s perfect for meatless Monday? Look no further than this creamy blue cheese mushroom pasta. A touch of cream, sautéed mushrooms and blue cheese is tossed with pasta for a hearty, comforting meal that’s a winner every time.
I like cheese. No, actually, I love it … a lot! Yes, cheese excites me. When I was recently asked what my favourite cheese is, I could not (and still can’t) give just one single answer. I mean, how could I? It’s basically impossible.
But, one thing is for sure, blue cheese is at the tip top of the list. Oh, blue cheese, how I love thee. I love your funk, your texture and look. Blue cheese, you got it goin’ on. Of course, I enjoy it as is, in a charcuterie board or in dishes like this creamy blue cheese and mushroom pasta. When I tasted the final result of this dish, I was beyond happy with it. Case in point …
Hubby was outside cleaning the winter tires before storing them away, blasting them with the pressure washer. I ran out of the house wearing yoga pants, hair in my Saturday mess, slippers on (no shoes) and a forkful of pasta (neighbours must have thought I was crazy if they saw me) to give him a taste. Oh, the things we do for good food, LOL.
So, with that behind us, onto this delicious blue cheese and mushroom pasta, shall we?
Why This Creamy Blue Cheese Mushroom Pasta is Great!
- Can be made in under 30 minutes
- Not counting salt and pepper, it’s made with less than 10 ingredients
- Great for ‘meatless Monday’, but also special enough for an easy date night dinner for two
- Speaking of dinner for two, this recipe can easily be doubled to feed more people
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
To prepare this recipe, you just sauté some shallot (or onion) with garlic, add mushrooms, cream and cheese and toss with the cooked pasta. I love serving this with some grilled bread brushed with olive oil and garlic. Always a winner!
Blue cheese is so rich in flavour so when serving I opted to pair this creamy pasta with a hefty, rich Cabernet Sauvignon.
For all the latest recipes, subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter.
More Tips & Variations
Baby bella (or cremini) mushrooms were used, but you can use whatever variety you enjoy best or have on hand. White button is another great option.
Linguine was used here, but you can opt for spaghetti or fettuccine.
If you want an even creamier sauce, you can add a splash more cream.
If you’re looking for another yummy way to use blue cheese, I was introduced to a blue cheese stuffed olive martini from, Karrie, of Tasty Ever After. Just stuff the olives with blue cheese and garnish your favourite martini.
Hope you love this vegetarian pasta recipe as much as we do!
If you make this blue cheese mushroom pasta recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed! Thank you!
Creamy Blue Cheese Mushroom Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot , peeled and minced (or 1 small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups thinly sliced baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (a splash more if you want a creamier sauce)
- 4 ounces linguine pasta (about 120 grams)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (leaves only)
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package instructions to al dente. Drain, reserving about ½ cup of pasta water of use later (you may not use it all).
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook an additional minute.
- To pan, add mushrooms and cook, stirring every so often, until softened and they have released some of their moisture, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- To pan, add blue cheese and cream, stirring to combine (it's okay if there are still chunks of blue cheese, I like that).
- Add cooked pasta & ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water to pan and stir to incorporate sauce with pasta (add more if you like).
- Serve in warmed bowls and garnish (if desired) with more blue cheese and parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.