If you’re looking for a hug in food form, this cheesy baked gnocchi casserole is for you! With plenty of garlic, gnocchi, pasta sauce, fresh basil, mushrooms, artichokes and copious amounts of cheese, what’s not to love?
If there was ever such thing as a hug in food form, this is it.
Mushrooms and artichokes.
Fresh aromatic basil.
And plenty of ooey gooey cheese.
Yep, this is gnocchi casserole is a delicious one!
How to Make Baked Gnocchi Casserole
Full details on how to make this gnocchi casserole are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- In a pan, cook some onion in a little olive oil under tender.
- Add butter to your pan and cook mushrooms.
- Add plenty of freshly minced garlic and cook for a bit. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Artichokes go into the pan next.
- Followed by your cooked gnocchi.
- Pour in your favourite pasta sauce, along with some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Lots of fresh basil goes next.
- Stir in a little mozzarella.
- Top with more mozzarella and Parmesan and bake until golden brown and delicious! All that’s left to do is tuck into this scrumptious gnocchi casserole!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
What Type of Gnocchi Should I Use?
For ease, opt for store-bought gnocchi. Just cook per package instructions, slightly shy of full cook time (as gnocchi will finish in the oven).
What’s the Best Type of Cheese?
A nice melting cheese works great!
‘Pizza mozzarella’ was used here over, say, fresh mozzarella. It melts really well and is super stringy and delicious.
If you want to top this bad boy with fresh mozzarella, though, (or a combo of both), go for it!
Other delicious options are provolone, fontina and Gruyère.
More Tips & Variations for This Gnocchi Casserole
Use your favourite pasta sauce. I opted for a ‘spicy red pepper’ version, but use whatever you enjoy best or have on hand.
Instead of artichokes, some sun-dried tomatoes would be lovely.
If you want, you can add some cooked protein to the mix, like sausage, ground beef, pancetta or chicken.
Want a little extra veg in this gnocchi casserole? Stir in some baby spinach and cook until wilted.
More Yummy Comfort Food Recipes
Hope you love this cheesy baked gnocchi recipe as much as we do!
Did you make this gnocchi casserole? That’s awesome! Love it if you leave a comment below.
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi Casserole
- 1.5 pounds store-bought gnocchi (I use two (350 gram) packages)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms , sliced (about ½ pound or 227 grams)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 cup marinated artichokes , roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2.5 cups pasta sauce
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil (big handful)
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella , divided ('pizza' mozzarella, 25% milk fat, 50% moisture, about 1.5 cups)
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (garnish, optional)
- Chopped fresh basil (garnish, optional)
- Cook gnocchi per package instructions, just a little short of full cook time. Drain and lay to one side. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit at this point too.
- Heat olive oil in an oven-safe 12-inch sauté pan (I like to use an enameled cast-iron pan, about 2.5 to 3 inches deep) over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add butter and, once melted, add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, stir, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Stir in artichokes (if they are packed in oil, rinse and drain), cooked gnocchi, crushed red pepper flakes, pasta sauce, basil and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 ounces).
- Turn off heat and sprinkle over remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese (if using).
- Bake (uncovered) in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until it's bubbly around the edges and the cheese has melted. Garnish (if desired) with basil and/or parsley. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.