If you’re looking for a hug in food form, this cheesy baked gnocchi casserole is for you! With plenty of garlic, gnocchi, pasta sauce, fresh basil, mushrooms, artichokes and copious amounts of cheese, what’s not to love?
If there was ever such thing as a hug in food form, this is it.
Mushrooms and artichokes.
Fresh aromatic basil.
And plenty of ooey gooey cheese.
Yep, this is gnocchi casserole is a delicious one!
How To Make This Baked Gnocchi Casserole
Full details on how to make this gnocchi casserole are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- In a pan, cook some onion in a little olive oil under tender.
- Add butter to your pan and cook mushrooms.
- Add plenty of freshly minced garlic and cook for a bit. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Stir in artichokes, cooked gnocchi, pasta sauce, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh basil and some mozzarella.
- Top with more mozzarella and Parmesan and bake until golden brown and delicious! All that’s left to do is tuck into this scrumptious gnocchi casserole!
What Type of Gnocchi Should I Use?
For ease, opt for store-bought gnocchi. Just cook per package instructions, slightly shy of full cook time (as gnocchi will finish in the oven).
Best Cheese To Use
A nice melting cheese works great in this recipe!
Pizza mozzarella was used here over, say, fresh mozzarella. It melts really well and is super stringy and delicious.
If you want to top this bad boy with fresh mozzarella, though, (or a combo of both), go for it!
Other delicious options are provolone, fontina and Gruyère.
Tips and Variations for This Gnocchi Casserole
- Use your favourite pasta sauce. I used a spicy red pepper version, but use whatever you enjoy best or have on hand.
- Instead of artichokes, some sun-dried tomatoes would be lovely.
- If you want, you can add some cooked protein to the mix, like sausage, ground beef, pancetta or chicken.
- Want a little extra veg in this gnocchi casserole? Stir in some baby spinach and cook until wilted.
More Yummy Comfort Food Recipes
- Chicken and Sausage Recipe With Peppers
- Hunter’s Chicken
- Chicken and Sausage with Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce
If you make this cheesy baked gnocchi casserole, be sure to leave a comment below!
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi Casserole
- 1.5 pounds store-bought gnocchi, about two (350 gram) packages
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (about ½ pound or 227 grams)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2.5 cups pasta sauce, use your favourite variety
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil, about a big handful
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (pizza mozzarella), divided (1.5 cups)
- 1 ounce Grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, garnish to taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh basil, garnish to taste (optional)
- Cook gnocchi per package instructions, just a little short of full cook time. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit at this point too.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch heavy oven-safe sauté/deep pan over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add butter and, once melted, add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, stir, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add a pinch each of salt and black pepper.
- Stir in artichoke hearts, cooked gnocchi, crushed red pepper flakes, pasta sauce, basil and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 ounces).
- Turn off heat and sprinkle over remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake (uncovered) in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until it's bubbly around the edges and the cheese has melted. Garnish (if desired) with basil and/or parsley. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!