Crispy wedges delicious toppings, like tomato, bell pepper, green onion, cheese and guacamole. Sounds yummy, right? These loaded potato wedges are sure to disappear fast! Perfect for a relaxing weekend at home, or for that game day celebration.
Remember those crispy potato wedges I shared a while back?
Well, today I’m using those (less the Parmesan) to make an amped up wedge recipe!
These loaded potato wedges are seriously easy to whip up and SO unbelievably delicious.
They’re kinda like nacho wedges because of all the yummy flavours, like guacamole, cilantro and hot peppers. The idea here, though, is to use what you have on hand!
If you have potatoes, you can likely make these with whatever else you have in your fridge and, if you know me, you know I have to have cheesy potato wedges because I love cheese.
After your crispy potato wedges are all golden brown and delicious, you can start prepping everything else (after, of course, you enjoy a few wedges straight off the pan).
Assembling Loaded Wedges
Once you’ve made the wedges, place them in a skillet (for a fun presentation) or serving dish.
Then it’s just a matter of piling on all those garnishes!
If you like, you can have layers of potato wedges, then toppings, followed by more wedges and toppings. There’s no going wrong here!
Can I Use Frozen Store-Bought Potato Wedges Instead?
In a time crunch (or if you just simply want to), you can totally use store-bought wedges instead of homemade! Just cook them per the package instructions.
Ain’t no shame in the frozen wedge game. Is that what the cool kids say nowadays, LOL?
Tip: Don’t have frozen wedges on hand? No worries! Make loaded fries! It’ll still have all the taste while using what you have on hand.
Yummy Garnish Ideas
The possibilities are endless here, my friends.
A handful of ingredients were used for these loaded wedges, but any of these toppings would be tasty. Mix things up to keep it interesting!
- Diced bell pepper
- Diced tomato
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced green onion or chives
- Chopped red onion or pickled red onion
- Sliced pickle banana peppers
- Jalapeno peppers (sliced fresh or pickled)
- Shredded cheese
- Guacamole or diced/cubed avocado
- Sour cream
- Crumbled feta or queso fresco
- Your favourite melted processed cheese (with some milk to thin out, if necessary) or homemade or store-bought queso
- Drizzle of your favourite hot sauce
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- Chili (for chili wedges)
- Cooked shredded pork, beef or chicken
- Cooked meat crumbles or soy-based crumble (like the stuff I used in these sloppy joe sliders)
Tips and Variations
- There is no right or wrong here when it comes to toppings for these loaded wedges. Like more or less of an ingredient? Just adjust to taste!
- Don’t want to use a cheese sauce (or simply don’t have on hand)? Once you place the cooked wedges in the pan, sprinkle over some shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese and pop in the oven until it’s melted. Then garnish with everything else.
- Instead of the seasonings listed in the crispy potato wedge recipe (salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper), try my homemade taco seasoning on the wedges instead.
More Game Day Recipes
If you make these loaded potato wedges, be sure to leave a comment below!
Loaded Potato Wedges
Homemade Potato Wedges
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold, Red, Purple or Russet Potatoes
- 2.5 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Loaded Potato Wedge Toppings and Serving Ideas
- ½ Roma tomato, seeds removed and diced
- ¼ cup bell pepper, small dice
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeno peppers, roughly chopped
- small handful cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup melted processed cheese or queso, melted per package instructions (some over top and some to serve with)
- hot sauce, to taste
- ½ cup guacamole, some to dollop over and serve with
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt, to serve with
- Lime wedges, to serve with
Homemade Potato Wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rub ½ tablespoon of avocado oil onto a large sheet pan or two smaller ones to grease. Set aside.
- Scrub potatoes clean, removing any odd bits. Cut into wedges. Note: To cut potatoes into wedges. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Then, cut each half in half (lengthwise) and then cut in half again (lengthwise). Basically, you should end up with about 8 wedges per potato.Note: If you'd rather peel the potatoes, instead of leaving the skin on, you can.
- In a bowl, toss potato wedges with remaining 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, powder and cayenne pepper.
- Place the wedges onto the prepared sheet pan and spread them out in a single layer. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, turning halfway with a spatula. The wedges should be golden and crispy outside and tender inside.
- Once baked, sprinkle with a little pinch of salt (if desired).
Loaded Potato Wedge Assembly
- Transfer wedges to a 12-inch skillet or serving dish.
- Top wedges with tomato, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno peppers and cilantro.Tip: There are lots of garnish options listed in the body of post above. Use what you have on hand or enjoy best!
- Drizzle over some melted cheese, hot sauce and dollops of guacamole (and serve remainder on the side with sour cream). Serve and enjoy! Serves 2 large main courses or 4 side servings.
- There is no right or wrong here when it comes to toppings (garnishes). Like more or less of an ingredient? Just adjust to taste!
- Don’t want to use a cheese sauce (or simply don’t have on hand)? Once you place the cooked wedges in the pan, sprinkle over some shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese and pop in the oven until it’s melted. Then, garnish with everything else.
- More tips and garnish options in the body of the post above.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!