Make your own taco mix at home with everyday spices you probably have on hand in your pantry! This easy taco seasoning comes together in minutes and is super versatile. To add lots of flavour, use on everything from tacos, quesadillas, nachos, fajitas and more.
I’ve been having fun lately making homemade spice blends!
I love that I can customize ’em to what I like.
Like things spicy? Add more heat. Like mild taco seasoning? Reduce the spice or omit. Want a low sodium taco seasoning? Take it out or reduce. See what I’m saying?
Plus, making your own is pretty budget friendly, easy and there’s no added junk.
The last spice blend I shared with you guys was a homemade pumpkin pie spice blend (by the way, there are some great tips here for using and storing spices too).
Today, things go a little more savoury with this taco spice.
Though, it’s a ‘taco’ spice blend, it can be used on so much more than that.
The jar disappears fast!
I was just about to share a quesadilla recipe with you guys and realized, oops, I hadn’t shared this spice blend yet (talk about putting the cart before the horse).
Anywho, expect an easy quesadilla recipe heading your way shortly using this deliciousness!
Taco Seasoning Ingredients
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili flakes
- Black pepper
And you probably have all these spices on hand in your pantry right now!
Ditch the store-bought taco seasoning packets and make your own within minutes!
How to Make Taco Spice Mix
You simply toss all the spices in a clean, airtight jar and mix to combine
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
How To Use this DIY Taco Seasoning
Honestly, when I make this homemade taco seasoning, I usually quadruple it.
I use it on so many things, but my favourites are:
- Taco dip
- Taco bake
- Sprinkled on corn or other veggies
- In salsas
- Pulled pork
I have a whole bunch of recipes coming up that uses this seasoning so you may wanna whip up a batch and have ready to go.
Use fresh spices! Don’t grab spices from your pantry that are super old. When spices are fresh, the flavours really pop; that means a tastier end result in your recipe.
Want a salt-free taco seasoning? Simply omit the salt.
If you like more of a particular spice, use more if it! You may want to add more heat, for example, so go ahead and add a little more red chili flakes.
Normally I’d recommend making small batches of spice blends for optimum freshness. This taco seasoning, however, is pretty darn versatile so you can double, triple or quadruple the recipe, if you like.
Hope you love this homemade taco seasoning recipe as much as we do!
If you make this homemade spice blend, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed! Thank you!!
Easy Taco Seasoning (with spices you probably have!)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste (or omit if you want a salt free seasoning))
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (or cayenne pepper powder)
- Combine all ingredients in a storage jar, stirring to combine (or you can mix in a bowl before adding to the jar).
- Cover and store in a cool, dark place (like your spice drawer or pantry cupboard). Enjoy within 6 months to a year for optimal freshness.
- Use fresh spices! Don’t grab spices from your pantry that are super old. When spices are fresh, the flavours really pop; that means a tastier end result in your recipe.
- Store the seasoning blend in a clean, airtight jar in a cool, dark place, like your pantry or cupboard.
- Want a salt-free taco seasoning? Simply omit the salt.
- If you like more of a particular spice, use more if it! You may want to add more heat, for example, so go ahead and add a little more red chili flakes.
- Normally I’d recommend making small batches of spice blends for optimum freshness. This taco seasoning, however, is pretty darn versatile so you can double, triple or quadruple the recipe, if you like.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.