Think you can’t have crispy chicken wings without frying? Think again! These crispy baked wings are incredibly crunchy on the outside, tender inside, super flavourful and take minutes of prep. They’re sure to be a favourite in your home as they are ours!
Today I’m sharing one of our all time favourite recipes.
These oven-baked wings are something hubby and I enjoy on the regular. Previously, I’ve shared curry baked chicken wings that we love; these today, though, have more of a hot wing vibe.
They have a secret ingredient that makes them super crispy … cornstarch! That combined with cornmeal makes for one crunchy bite.
They take minutes to prep, there’s no fryer needed and they disappear in a flash.
Plus, you can easily double the recipe if you are making a feast for a get together or game day.
Having friends over during the holidays? These wings would be an awesome addition to the menu!
And if you do make ’em, consider inviting me over.
They’re seriously good. Promise.
What’s Needed for Crispy Baked Wings
- Chicken wings (left whole)
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Cooking spray
How to Make Them
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven.
Trust me, don’t skip the parchment paper here. It makes clean up so much easier.
Combine all your dry ingredients in a bag, shaking to incorporate everything.
Then, place about 4 wings at a time in there. Close and shake to coat.
Place those dry spice wings onto your prepared sheet and give ’em a little hit of cooking spray. Into the oven they go!
Halfway through cooking, they’ll start to get more golden.
Give ’em a little turn with some tongs and continue cooking.
Once they’ve done their thing in the oven, they look all kinds of delicious!
Allow the wings to cool a little while you whip up some hot sauce.
Hot Wing Sauce
Okay, you guys, this is my absolute fave sauce for wings.
It’s simply my favourite buffalo hot sauce (use what you enjoy best), along with butter and molasses.
Warm that goodness up and drizzle, toss or dunk your wings into it.
Can I Split the Wings Instead of Leaving Whole?
I’ve made these crispy baked wings both ways and enjoy either, but there’s something about that crispy wing tip that gets me.
If you want to cut each whole wing up into tip and drum part, go for it! This is a great guide on how to cut up chicken wings.
Hot sauce is my absolute favourite to serve with wings, but other delicious dips and garnish are:
- Blue cheese dressing
- Yogurt (especially thick Greek yogurt)
- Sour cream
- Chives or green onion (for a pop of colour)
- And, if you’re looking to make things more of a meal these crispy potato wedges would pair beautifully!
More Delicious Game Day Recipes
- Roast Beef Sliders
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Stuffed Peppers
- Fried Mashed Potato Balls
Hope you love these dry rub chicken wings as much as we do!
If you make this oven baked wing recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Crispy Baked Wings (a party favourite!)
Crispy Baked Wings
- 2 pounds wings , wings left whole (about 10 wings)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- cooking spray
- ¾ cup buffalo hot sauce (your favourite)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon molasses
Crispy Baked Wings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9-inch x 13-inch sheet pan with parchment paper and lay to one side.
- Meanwhile, in a food-safe plastic bag, combine cornstarch, cornmeal, salt pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper powder, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix to combine.
- About 4 wings at a time, place in bag with spices, cover and shake to coat. Place on prepared pan. Continue coating remaining wings. Spray wings with cooking spray.
- Bake 25 minutes. Then, carefully flip the wings and continue baking for another 25 minutes until wings are golden brown, crispy and cooked through. Enjoy as is or with hot sauce.
- In a small pot over medium heat, add all ingredients and warm through until butter is melted. Stir to combine. Serve with wings. Serves about 2 to 4 people.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.