Think you can’t have crispy chicken wings without frying? Think again! These crispy baked wings are incredibly crunchy on the outside, tender inside, super flavourful and take minutes of prep. They’re sure to be a favourite in your home as they are ours!
Today I’m sharing one of our all time favourite recipes.
These oven baked wings are something hubby and I enjoy on the regular. Previously, I’ve shared curry baked chicken wings that we love; these today, though, have more of a hot wing vibe.
They have a secret ingredient that makes them super crispy – cornstarch! That combined with cornmeal makes for one crunchy bite.
They take minutes to prep, there’s no fryer needed and they disappear in a flash.
Plus, you can easily double the recipe if you are making a feast for a get together or game day.
Having friends over during the holidays? These wings would be an awesome addition to the menu!
And if you do make ’em, consider inviting me over 😉
They’re seriously good. Promise.
What’s Needed for Crispy Baked Wings
- Chicken wings (left whole)
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Baking spray
How to Make Them
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Trust me…don’t skip the parchment paper here. It makes clean up so much easier.
Combine all your dry ingredients in a bag, shaking to incorporate everything.
Then, place about 4 wings at a time in there. Close and shake to coat.
Place those dry spice wings onto your prepared sheet and give ’em a little hit of baking spray. Into the oven they go!
Half way through cooking, they’ll start to get more golden…
Give ’em a little turn with some tongs and another little spritz of baking spray…
Once they’ve done their thing in the oven, they look all kinds of delicious!
Allow the wings to cool a little while you whip up some hot sauce.
Hot Wing Sauce
Ok, you guys, this is my absolute fave sauce for wings.
It’s simply my favourite hot sauce (use what you enjoy best), along with butter and molasses. If I’m feeling extra adventurous I put in, like, literally just a dab of ‘The Last Dab’. Not sponsored, I just enjoy.
Warm that goodness up and drizzle, toss or dunk your wings into it.
Can I Make These Wings Ahead of Time?
These are the best enjoyed as they are made, but they do reheat beautifully!
You can prep, bake, allow to cool and store in the refrigerator.
Reheat wings at 375 degrees Fahrenheit on a sheet pan for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Can I Split the Wings Instead of Leaving Whole?
I’ve made these crispy baked wings both ways and enjoy either, but there’s something about that crispy wing tip that gets me.
If you want to cut each whole wing up into tip and drum part, go for it! This is a great guide on how to cut up chicken wings.
Hot sauce is my absolute fave to serve with wings, but other delicious dips and garnish are –
- Blue cheese dressing
- Yogurt (especially thick Greek yogurt)
- Sour cream
- Chives or green onion (for a pop of colour)
- And, if you’re looking to make things more of a meal these crispy potato wedges would pair beautifully!
More Game Day Recipes You May Enjoy
- Roast Beef Sliders – Using leftover roast beef and perfectly caramelized onions, these are always a crowd pleaser.
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas – Easy to prepare and even easier to eat, these cheesy quesadillas are a winner every time.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Stuffed Peppers – A delicious buffalo chicken dip stuffed into mini peppers…fun and tasty too.
- Fried Mashed Potato Balls – Leftover mash reinvented! There are three delicious varieties included so you can please everyone!
- Guacamole – Who doesn’t love a good guac with chips?
Hope you love these dry rub chicken wings as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make these baked wings? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Crispy Baked Wings (a party favourite!)
Crispy Baked Wings
- 2 pounds wings , wings left whole (about 10 wings)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- baking spray
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (your favourite)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon molasses
Crispy Baked Wings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9" x 13" baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix up spices and place in a plastic bag. About 4 wings at a time, place in bag with spices, cover and shake to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Continue coating remaining wings. Spray wings with baking spray.
- Bake 50 minutes, carefully turning halfway until wings are golden brown, cooked and crispy (spray wings with baking spray on other side once turned). Enjoy as is or with hot sauce.
- In a small pot on medium heat, add all ingredients and warm through until butter is melted. Stir to combine. Serve with wings. Serves 2 to 4 people. Nutrition information is an estimate only and based on 1 wing.