Fresh, juicy heirloom tomatoes, cheddar cheese, creamy mayo, seedy bread, freshly cracked black pepper and flaky sea salt make this toasted tomato sandwich absolutely irresistible. Simple but delicious, it’s a summertime must try!
Ever since I spotted fresh heirloom tomatoes at my local grocery store, I’ve had a toasted tomato sandwich on my mind. You know when you’re craving something and you can’t stop until you’ve had it? Well, that was me. And this heirloom tomato sandwich didn’t disappoint.
There’s absolutely nothing fancy here. Just simple ingredients that are in season and taste amazing together. Speaking of ingredients, there’s just six of them (and that includes salt and pepper)!
Tomatoes are always best, in my opinion, in the summer months. And there’s no better way to enjoy them than as they are, freshly sliced on a sandwich.
I don’t like to slice the tomatoes too thick, nor too thin. I probably slice them about ¼-inch thick, but you can slice them however you please.
How To Make a Toasted Heirloom Tomato Sandwich
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Toast your slices of bread, then generously spread over some mayonnaise and a sprinkle of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Top one slice with cheddar cheese.
- Layer on sliced tomatoes and a good pinch of flaky sea salt.
- Top the tomatoes with some leaves of lettuce and the other slice of bread to form the sandwich. Devour!
Can I Use Another Variety of Tomato?
Of course! I really enjoy heirloom tomatoes because, well, they’re kinda special. You don’t always come across them (I don’t anyway). Plus, they’re gorgeous, so vibrant, juicy and tasty. And when they’re in season, they’re usually cheaper (bonus!).
However, if you can’t find heirloom tomatoes (or have another tomato on hand or prefer to use), go for it. The only thing I’d say, though, is use a variety that’s in season and fresh. Because there are so few ingredients in this tomato sandwich, you want to use the best you can.
Tips for Making the Best Tomato Sandwich
- Use a nice seedy sandwich bread with some texture in it. It compliments this toasted tomato sandwich beautifully!
- Don’t cheap out on the mayonnaise. Mayonnaise adds a lovely richness to the sandwich and really compliments it.
- I’ve made this sandwich with and without cheddar cheese. While I do prefer the cheese (because I’m a bit obsessed with cheese), you can totally omit if you want.
- Speaking of cheese, I used cheddar (old cheddar, actually). Feel free to use a variety you like best. Sliced provolone, mozzarella, or havarti are all great options.
- For lots of colour, if you have different colours or varieties of heirloom tomatoes on hand, try slices of each one.
What To Serve With It
- Frozen lemonade
- Potato chips or flavoured crackers (I love salt and vinegar flavour)
- Tomato soup
- Simple green salad
- Big kosher pickle
More Delicious Sandwiches
If you make this simple tomato sandwich recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Heirloom Tomato Sandwich
- 2 slices sandwich bread, I love to use a seedy bread for this sandwich (it adds great texture)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 slice cheddar cheese, or your favourite variety
- 3 to 4 slices heirloom tomato, depending on how large the slices are (I sliced them about ¼-inch thick)
- pinch flaky sea salt
- 2 leaves lettuce, use your favourite variety (I like something crunchy, like Romaine or Iceberg)
- Toast bread to desired doneness, then generously spread one side of each slice with mayonnaise. Sprinkle over black pepper.
- Top one of the slices with cheddar cheese. Layer on the sliced heirloom tomatoes and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Top with leaves of lettuce. Place the other bread slice over top (with the mayonnaise on the inside) to form your sandwich. Cut in half if you like. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!