This easy ham and egg sandwich is piled high with tasty ingredients and generously topped with a spicy harissa mayo. It’s a delicious way to start any day or even enjoy for a hearty lunch!
I love a good sandwich. Love it!
Besides “bowl” meals (basically a protein, like chicken, roasted veg and quinoa thrown in a bowl), sandwiches are a staple in our home.
This ham and fried egg sandwich comes together in minutes, so even if you woke up a little later than usual, you could still whip up a delicious breakfast and start the day on the right foot!
The only cooking involved here is to prepare the egg to your liking and toast the English muffin. Other than that, assemble the whole thing and dig in!
Tips for Making This Fried Egg Sandwich
- Use the best quality eggs you can get your little hands on.
- Everyone has a different preference on how they like their eggs cooked. I like the yolks of my eggs a little runny, but you can cook them to how you like best. Sometimes a runny egg can make for one heck of a mess, so I kinda go in the middle when preparing eggs for a sandwich (not too runny, but not firm). If you like them well done, do that.
- Don’t forget to toast and butter those English muffins. It adds crunch, flavour and makes the whole breakfast sandwich that much better.
- Rather use Canadian bacon (or as us Canadians call “ham”) or bacon instead of the sliced stuff? Feel free to use either of those instead of the ham.
- Not digging the harissa mayo? Hot sauce and a touch of lime juice works lovely with mayonnaise or even some pesto.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Mortadella Sandwich
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Grilled Ham and Brie Sandwich
If you make this ham and egg sandwich, be sure to leave a comment below!
Ham and Egg Sandwich With Harissa Mayo
- ½ tablespoon harissa paste
- ½ tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Ham and Egg Sandwich
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces cooked black forest ham, about 6 to 8 thin slices
- 2 slices jalapeno harvarti, or your favourite cheese
- 1 handful baby kale, or baby spinach (about 1 loosely packed cup)
- 2 English muffins, cut in half horizontally
- To make the harissa mayo, combine harissa paste, mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl and stir until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a 10-inch non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Crack eggs into pan to cook. I like to leave mine yolks a tad runny. Cook for about a minute or two, carefully flip and cook another minute or two or until the whites are set (firm) and the yolk is still a little runny (but you can cook to how you like them).
- Toast English muffins and spread remaining 2 teaspoons of butter between the insides of the muffins.
- On the buttered bottom half of each English muffin, place tomato, onion, ham, egg, cheese and kale. Drizzle with harissa mayo, then top with other English muffin half to form each sandwich. Serve and enjoy!
- I didn’t warm my ham, but you can if you like. Just place in a non-stick pan for a minute or two to heat through..
- Everyone has a different preference on how they like their eggs cooked. I like my egg yolks a little runny, but you can cook them to how you like best. Sometimes a runny egg can make for one heck of a mess, so I kinda go in the middle when preparing eggs for a sandwich (not too runny, but not firm). If you like them well done, do that.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!