Thise easy black bean dip recipe is creamy, packed full of flavour from chipotle and cumin, and can be made in about 10 minutes! It’s delicious with your favourite chips or even as a spread for a wrap or sandwich. You’re gonna want to make this bean dip over and over again!
This easy bean dip recipe was originally posted in June of 2017, but has been updated with new text, pictures and recipe details.
Hey everyone! If you know me, you know that I’m obsessed with beans. I know that’s an odd thing to be obsessed with but, what can I say? I just love ’em!
Beans make for such an easy base to recipes, are loaded with good-for-ya stuff, they taste great and are super budget friendly. What’s not to love??
One of my favourite things to use black beans for is this black bean dip recipe. I legit make this bean dip about every week. It’s so handy to have in the fridge when the hunger bug strikes and, honestly, pretty healthy so I don’t mind diving in for a little bite before dinner.
Enjoy bean dips? Check out this Mediterranean white bean dip!
Why This Black Bean Dip Is Great!
- Aside from garnish, it uses mostly pantry ingredients
- It can be customized to taste with garnish
- Naturally gluten free
- Comes together in about 10 minutes
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
The base of this black bean dip recipe is super duper simple, you guys…and you probably have all the ingredients on hand. There’s –
- Black beans
- Yogurt (or sour cream)
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Chipotle peppers (or smoked paprika or chipotle powder for a little heat)
- Salt, pepper and cumin
- Corn (frozen or fresh)
I garnished with a bunch of veggies, chili, cilantro and chili oil, but that is totally optional! You do what you enjoy best (or use whatever you have on hand).
This black bean dip is not only flavourful, it’s lower on the fat content cause there’s Greek yogurt in there and just 2 tablespoons of olive oil. How awesome is that? I say stuff your face with abandon. You go!
How to Make It
You won’t believe how freakin’ easy it is to make this bean dip recipe. No need to grab store bought dips anymore! No sir-ey! Grab a few simple ingredients, mix ’em up, garnish and boom! Done. So, how do you make this black bean dip?
- In a food processor add beans, yogurt, lime juice, olive oil, chipotle peppers, cumin, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in corn (or save for garnish).
- Pour into a bowl and garnish to taste with your fave toppings.
- Dig in!
- Easy, right?!
Full details are in the recipe card below.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
The possibilities are endless here and there’s no right or wrong. If you don’t like a certain garnish or really love one, omit or add as much as you like.
- Diced tomato
- Green onion
- Chili flakes or minced hot pepper
- Crumbled feta
- Bell pepper
- Chili olive oil (or regular olive oil)
How Long Does Dip Last
Enjoy this dip within 3 to 4 days and keep refrigerated. It will firm up slightly in the fridge, but will loosen when removed.
More Tips and Variations
Rinse and drain your beans well. If you can get ’em, grab the ‘unsalted’ variety.
Don’t have Greek yogurt on hand? Use sour cream!
Don’t have chipotles in adobo sauce? Use a chipotle powder or smoked paprika. Don’t have that? Use freshly minced chili or chili flakes (though, you won’t have that same smoky heat).
Like things more or less spicy? Adjust the spice to taste.
I make this corn and black bean dip a couple of ways. Originally I garnished with corn. In this updated version, I put the corn in the dip. You do what you enjoy best!
Speaking of corn, if you opt for frozen, thaw and squeeze any excess moisture/water before using. Similarly, if you use canned corn, drain before use.
More Dip Recipes You May Enjoy
If you make this canned black bean dip, please leave a comment below. We love hearing from you! Thank you!
Black Bean Dip Recipe (seriously delicious!)
Black Bean Dip
- 19 ounce can of unsalted black beans , rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 limes , juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 chipotles in adobo sauce (or to taste (or 1 to 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika or chipotle powder))
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- ½ cup corn -fresh, canned or frozen (see 'Notes' below)
- diced tomato (to taste)
- diced bell pepper (to taste)
- sliced chili -or chili flakes (to taste)
- sliced green onion (to taste)
- cilantro (to taste)
- feta cheese (to taste)
- olive oil (to taste. I like 'chili' olive oil)
- Combine all ingredients from black beans down to garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth and combined. Stir in corn with a spatula (or you can save for garnish).
- Garnish as desired. Serve with your favourite chips or veggie sticks (also delicious as a spread on a sandwich or wrap). Enjoy!
- Rinse and drain your beans well. If you ca get ’em, grab the ‘unsalted’ variety
- Don’t have Greek yogurt on hand? Use sour cream!
- Don’t have chipotles in adobo sauce? Use a chipotle powder or smoked paprika. Don’t have that? Use freshly minced chili or chili flakes (though, you won’t have that same smoky heat).
- Like things more or less spicy? Adjust the spice to taste.
- I make this corn and black bean dip a couple of ways, depending on my mood. Originally I garnished with corn. In this updated version, I put the corn in the dip. You do what you enjoy best!
- Speaking of corn, if you opt for frozen, thaw and squeeze any excess moisture/water before using. Similarly, if you use canned corn, drain before use.
- Nutrition information (estimate only) does not include garnish.