Buttery, golden brown and crispy on the outside and savoury and cheesy on the inside, this chicken pesto grilled cheese sandwich is such a satisfying treat for lunch or dinner. With some good bread, butter, chicken, melty cheese, herbaceous pesto mayo and veggies, what’s not to love? This cheesy chicken pesto sandwich recipe is sure to be a comfort food favourite!
It’s a good thing that cheese agrees with me because I’m obsessed. All kinds of cheese, I’m for it. Loves it!
So any excuse to eat cheese, I’m in! I guess that’s why I enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches so much. Cheese and bread, what a combination.
That’s another thing I love, bread. Well, not just any bread. There’s a local bakery that seriously makes the best bread. I love going there first thing in the morning.
As soon as I hit the parking lot, I notice the smell of homemade bread blowing through the air. And, it’s still warm when I grab a loaf. That’s heaven right there, I tells ya!
For this particular grilled chicken pesto sandwich, I used a honey oat bread, but you could use whatever variety of sandwich bread you enjoy best.
How To Make It
Full details on how to make this chicken pesto grilled cheese sandwich are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- For each sandwich, spread some pesto mayo over one side of each bread slice.
- Top one of those slices with cooked chicken.
- Layer on thinly sliced onion and baby spinach.
- Top with plenty of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add the top slice of bread to form the sandwich, then spread some butter on the outside of the bread slices.
- Pan fry the sandwiches until the outside is golden brown and crispy and the cheese is melty inside.
Pesto mayo is super simple to prepare! Just like I used in my chicken pesto baguette sandwich, stir together pesto and mayonnaise.
I like to use a regular green pesto, but you can totally use another variety, like sun-dried tomato or arugula pesto.
Can I Use Turkey Instead?
Absolutely! If you have some cooked turkey from another meal, you can use that instead of chicken. Both are delicious options for this pesto grilled cheese.
What To Serve With It
I just love serving briny pickled hot peppers or a big pickle with grilled cheese. It contrasts lovely with the rich flavours of the sandwich.
Another side I love to serve this with is potato chips (such a sucker for those with a sandwich).
And, of course, a total classic is to serve a grilled cheese sandwich with a big bowl of tomato basil soup. Always a favourite, especially in the colder months. So comforting, isn’t it?
More Yummy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
If you make this deliciously cheesy grilled chicken pesto sandwich recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 tablespoons pesto
- 4 slices sandwich bread, I used a honey oat variety (use your favourite)
- 4 to 5 ounces cooked chicken, sliced or shredded
- thinly sliced red onion, to taste
- baby spinach, to taste
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, about 3 ounces
- butter, enough to spread over outside of each sandwich
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayo and pesto until combined.
- Spread the pesto mayo over one side of all four bread slices.
- Divide the chicken between two of those slices and layer on red onion and spinach. Next, divide the shredded mozzarella cheese between the two slices, placing on top of the spinach. Place the remaining bread slices over top of each (with the pesto mayo side on the inside) to form the two sandwiches.
- Spread some butter over the outside of the bread slices.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-low to medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side until the outside is golden brown and crispy and the cheese is melty inside. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!