This Cheesy Skillet Cornbread is made with both cornmeal and corn kernels and lots of cheese! It’s baked right in a cast iron skillet and is a perfect side with chili or your favourite soup!
This recipe was originally posted in 2015, but has been updated.
Hey lovely people! We are officially into spring! Earlier this week, I shared a meatless three bean chili with you guys. I promised a sidekick to go with it so today I’m bringing you a re-shoot of a delicious cheesy cornbread recipe.
Easy Skillet Cornbread with Corn
Like most of the recipes you’ll find on here, this skillet cornbread uses simple, wholesome ingredients and is ultra easy to prepare. You basically mix up the dry ingredients, then the wet and combine the two into a pre-heated cast iron skillet (generously doused in butter and some oil).
I absolutely love corn as is, but have in a bread recipe? SOLD! This recipe is extra corny (hehe), not only from cornmeal, but also from corn kernels. Plus, it can be whipped up in about 10 minutes!
Classic Cornbread Made in a Cast Iron Skillet
Unless you have a recipe for cornbread from your grandmother passed down for generations, this is the only cornbread recipe you will need…it’s that good. I love anything cooked in a cast iron pan! And I think that is what makes this one so special.
The pan is pre-heated in the oven to get nice and hot, then you add some butter and oil. When you pour the cornbread mixture into the pan, it bubbles a little around the edges and creates a lovely crust as it bakes. A lil’ honey drizzled on top after it’s done just takes it to another level. The savoury and sweet flavour combination just hits the spot!
What to Serve with Cornbread?
Hope you enjoy this skillet cornbread as much as we do! Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you think this cheesy skillet cornbread will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Cheesy Skillet Cornbread
- 1 cup milk - 2% or higher
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 tbsp unsalted melted butter -1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp, divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese -shredded
- 3 eggs -I used large
- 2 stalks green onion -chopped
- 1 cup corn -frozen or fresh
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- butter -garnish (optional)
- honey -garnish (optional)
- Preheat to 375 F and put a 10 inch cast iron pan in there to get nice and hot.
- In a bowl, add milk, cream, butter (4 tbsp. or 1/4 cup, melted), cheddar, eggs, green onion and corn.
- In another bowl mix, flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and cayenne. Add this flour mixture to milk mixture and stir well to combine.
- Carefully remove the hot cast iron pan from the oven; add remaining 1 tbsp. of butter and 1 tbsp. of veg oil and swirl around until butter is melted. Pour in the cornbread mixture. It'll bubble a bit around the sides. Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked through and golden. Garnish each slice with a dabble of butter and honey, if desired. Enjoy!