Skillet cornbread with cheese? Oh yeah! This skillet cornbread recipe is made with both cornmeal and corn kernels and lots of cheese! It’s the perfect side with chili or your favourite soup for dunking.
This recipe was originally posted in 2015, but has been updated with new photos and recipe details.
We are officially into spring! Earlier this week, I shared a meatless three bean chili with you all. I promised a sidekick to go with it so today I’m bringing you a re-shoot of a delicious recipe I shared in 2015.
I absolutely love corn as is, but have in a bread recipe? Sold! This recipe is extra corny (hehe), not only from cornmeal, but also from corn kernels. Plus, it can be whipped up in about 10 minutes!
Unless you have a recipe for cornbread from your grandmother passed down for generations, this is the only recipe you will need, it’s that good. I love anything cooked in a cast iron pan! I think that’s what makes this one so special.
Like most of the recipes you’ll find on Girl Heart Food, this recipe uses simple, wholesome ingredients and is ultra easy to prepare.
It has some basic ingredients that you probably have on hand (which is always a bonus, if you ask me):
- Corn (fresh or frozen)
- Green onion (or chives)
- Baking powder
- Salt, sugar and cayenne
How to Make It
For this classic comfort food recipe, you basically mix up the dry ingredients, then the wet and combine the two into a preheated cast-iron skillet (generously doused in butter and some oil).
- Preheat oven and place cast iron skillet in there to get nice n hot!
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, melted butter, cheddar, eggs, onion and corn.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and cayenne.
- Mix together the flour mixture with the milk mixture, stirring to combine.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and swirl in some butter and oil.
- Once butter is melted pour in batter.
- Bake until cooked through.
- Portion, garnish and enjoy!
Full details are in the recipe card below.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Make Cornbread Muffins Instead?
Absolutely! I’ve definitely done this before and it’s great when you’re having a get together with a lot of people. Everyone gets their only little muffin for dunking.
If you are opting to make muffins instead of a skillet, skip the step where you put the pan in the oven.
Instead, line a muffin tin (you will need 2) with liners, spray with baking spray and bake for about 18 to 22 minutes (check on after 18 minutes).
The cornbread muffins are done when a wooden skewer inserted comes out clean of wet batter. Let cool a little before digging in. You’ll yield roughly 18 muffins.
Mix in some marinated or fresh jalapeno pepper to taste instead of cayenne.
Like things more cheesy? Add a little more cheddar.
Speaking of cheese, I’ve also added in some crumbled feta and it works beautifully.
More Recipe Tips
Preheat that cast-iron pan! When you pour the batter into the greased pan, it bubbles a little around the edges and creates a lovely crust as it bakes.
Don’t over bake! Check on at 35 minutes with a wooden skewer. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If not, bake a little longer.
To garnish I love a lil’ honey drizzled on top. It just takes it to another level. The savoury and sweet flavour combination hits the spot!
Make It A Meal!
Pretty much anything, really! But my favourites are comfort food classics, especially chili, soup and beans. These are delicious with this skillet cornbread recipe:
- Turkey Quinoa Chili
- White Chicken Chili
- Homemade Baked Beans
- Smoky Baked Black Beans
- Maple Bacon Chili from Spiced
Hope you enjoy this skillet cornbread with cheese as much as we do!
If you make this cheesy cornbread recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Easy Cornbread with Cheese
- 1 cup milk (2% milk fat or higher)
- ½ cup heavy cream (35% milk fat)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted melted butter , divided (¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional. Use a vegetarian variety, if needed).
- 3 large eggs
- 2 stalks green onion , chopped
- 1 cup corn (frozen, canned or fresh)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Butter (garnish, optional)
- Honey (garnish, optional)
- Preheat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and put a 10-inch cast-iron pan in there to get nice and hot.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, butter (4 tablespoons or ¼ cup, melted), cheddar, crumbled feta (if using), eggs, green onion and corn.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and cayenne pepper. Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and stir well to combine.
- Carefully remove the hot cast iron pan from the oven; add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and swirl around until the butter is melted.
- Pour in the cornbread mixture. It'll bubble a bit around the sides.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until cooked through and golden (a toothpick inserted into the cornbread should come out clean of wet batter).
- Serve with a dab of butter and drizzle of honey (if desired). Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.