This veggie-packed burrito bowl recipe has a base of rice piled high with lots of colourful and flavourful toppings, like sweet potato, avocado, bell pepper and refried beans. Drizzled with a smoky and creamy chipotle sauce, you’re gonna want to make this one again and again!
Don’t you just love those healthier fast food restaurants where you can get lots of “bowl” meals?
They’re something hubby and I regularly enjoy.
The possibilities are limitless and they always hit the spot.
Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy grabbing a burrito bowl from restaurants every once in a while but making homemade burrito bowls? The best!
And I don’t know about you, but I love meals where I can have a little bit of this and a little bit of that (basically a variety).
With a refried bean and veggie bowl, that’s exactly what you get!
There’s about, oh, I don’t know, a million things piled onto the rice.
Okay, just kidding, not that much, but a lot.
But what’s on there is pretty simple much of which you probably have right now.
And, if you don’t have every single ingredient, no worries! Just add a little more of an ingredient you do have.
These burrito bowls are super flexible like that and oh-so-delicious!
Why We Love These Burrito Bowls
- These veggie bowls are loaded with all sorts of colourful and yummy ingredients. So pretty!
- They can be customized to taste with more (or less) toppings.
- They’re a great way to clean out the fridge by using odds and ends of veggies you may have on hand.
- It’s a fun way to enjoy a restaurant favourite at home. Home burrito bowls are always the best because you can pile on lots of extra toppings!
- Burrito bowls are perfect for meal prep. I always get excited knowing that I have a delicious meal ready to go when the hunger bug strikes.
- They taste delicious!
Can I Customize This Bowl?
There’s no “set in stone” quantities or topping here! If you don’t have an ingredient on hand (or prefer to use something else), go for it.
This chipotle burrito bowl recipe is super flexible like that!
Topping Ideas for Burrito Bowls
- Sliced jalapeno pepper
- Pickled sliced jalapeno peppers or banana peppers
- Sliced green onion
- Pickled red onion
- Chopped Cilantro
- Diced or sliced avocado or guacamole
- Diced bell pepper
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Diced tomato
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Save Time Making This Recipe
These homemade burrito bowls come together relatively quickly, but there are time savers, especially for those busy days when you want something good, quick.
For example, I use homemade refried beans, but you can totally use store-bought should you like.
Also, you can omit the roasted sweet potato and just pile on more of the other toppings.
Speaking of sweet potato, you can prep the sweet potato a day ahead, allow to cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat when ready to enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- Rice is used as a base in this bean & veggie bowl, but you can sub with quinoa or cauliflower rice if you prefer.
- This recipe yields two bowls but can easily be doubled.
- Try roasted butternut squash instead of roasted sweet potato to mix things up.
- Canned black beans are a delicious option if you want to skip the refried beans.
- Cheese is totally optional here. I used queso cotija, but you can use your favourite variety or omit altogether. (I sometimes substitute with shredded cheddar cheese.)
- Fresh corn would be a yummy alternative to canned corn (especially when it’s in season).
More Easy Bean Recipes
If you make this black bean and sweet potato bowl, be sure to leave a comment below!
Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 2 cups cooked rice, about ⅔ cup of rice before cooking depending on the variety (cook according to package instructions)
- ½ cup refried beans
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (or to taste)
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato cubes
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup canned corn kernels, drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crumbled queso cotija, optional (or use your favourite variety of cheese)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from about 1 lime
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from about 1 lime
- 2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, depending on how smoky/spicy you like things
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk, depending on the consistency you want
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Assemble the burrito bowls: Distribute the cooked rice between two bowls. Top rice with refried beans, avocado, roma tomato, jalapeno pepper, spiced sweet potato, red bell pepper, shredded cabbage, green onion, canned corn, cilantro, queso cotija (if using) and lime juice.
- Make the chipotle sauce: In a small food processor, combine the Greek yogurt, lime juice, chipotles in adobo sauce, milk, salt and black pepper. Process until combined and smooth.
- Drizzle chipotle sauce over the burrito bowls. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!