Chunks of sweet potato are generously flavoured with taco seasoning, roasted, then topped with aromatic cilantro and thinly sliced chili pepper. Serve these roasted sweet potato chunks with a simple avocado sauce for one scrumptious bite!
Today I’m sharing an easy sweet potato recipe with you all.
It’s super versatile, tasty and easy to prepare.
Plus, it was just another excuse to use my homemade taco seasoning; I put that stuff on everything, it’s just so darn tasty!
I think pretty much every single time I sit down for a meal, I always, always, go for the sides first. You too?
And, stay tuned, because I use these roasted sweet potato chunks in an upcoming recipe!
What’s Needed For This Sweet Potato Recipe
- Sweet potato
- Taco seasoning
- Olive oil
- Chili pepper
- Avocado sauce (if you want to serve alongside)
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potato Chunks
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
Peel your clean sweet potatoes and cut into chunks.
Coat the sweet potato chunks with taco seasoning and olive oil.
Spread out onto a sheet pan in an even layer and bake, turning once.
Scoop those delicious potatoes into a serving dish and top with freshly chopped cilantro and thinly sliced chili.
For all the latest recipes, subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter.
Other Sweet Potato Seasoning Ideas
I like using taco seasoning on these sweet potato cubes because it’s flavourful and has a bunch of ingredients in one.
You can, however, mix things up and use other seasonings. Other delicious options are cayenne pepper, smoked paprika or chipotle powder.
Or, if you want to go more of a simple route, you can just season the sweet potato chunks with salt and pepper to taste.
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Cut your sweet potato into roughly the same size chunks so they cook evenly.
- No salt was added to the potatoes because the taco seasoning already has salt in it. Feel free to add salt to taste.
- I served these roasted sweet potato chunks with a simple avocado sauce. Of course, you can serve the sweet potato as is, but the sauce does add something special. If you are pinched for time (and do want to serve with a sauce), sour cream would pair great with the sweet potato chunks.
Make It A Meal
Some of my fave dishes to serve with these oven roasted sweet potatoes are:
If you make this easy sweet potato recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Roasted Sweet Potato Chunks (with taco seasoning)
Spiced Sweet Potato
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1.5-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cilantro , roughly chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper (like a pencil chili) , thinly sliced
- 1 avocado , halved, pitted and peeled
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream or mayo)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (from about 1.5 limes)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Spiced Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place sweet potato chunks into a large bowl and add olive oil and taco seasoning. Stir well so that the sweet potato is coated in the oil and taco seasoning. Place the sweet potato chunks onto a large sheet pan and spread them out in a single layer.
- Roast 30 to 40 minutes or until tender, turning halfway.
- Transfer sweet potato to a serving dish and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and chili pepper. Enjoy as is or with avocado sauce.
- Combine all ingredients together in a mini food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and combined.Note: If you want a thinner sauce, add a little milk.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.