Roasted butternut squash cubes are generously tossed with pumpkin pie spice and makes for such a delicious side, perfect for a weekday dinner or as part of your Thanksgiving meal. Plus, there are only 5 ingredients in this simple squash recipe!
Oh, how I love roasted vegetables!
So, despite technicalities, when I think of this recipe, I consider it being a veggie side (rather than a fruit side). Whatever way you look at it, it’s simply yummy and that’s what matters, right?
Roasting just takes things to another level. The squash cubes kinda get all caramelized outside, while they’re tender inside.
Plus, aside from a little prep, it’s just a matter of popping them in the oven and turning once. Easy!
You may remember the homemade pumpkin spice I shared a while back.
Traditionally, pumpkin spice is used in sweet recipes, but today I’m going the savoury route.
Roasted butternut squash with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove and allspice? How could that not be tasty, right?
Fan of butternut squash recipes? Check out these butternut squash fritters!
Why We Love These Oven Roasted Butternut Squash Cubes
- It’s a great way to use a seasonal favourite, butternut squash.
- This recipe is made with just 5 simple ingredients.
- It’s prepped in minutes.
- Roasted butternut squash can be enjoyed warm or cool (in a salad).
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How To Roast Butternut Squash
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
Start by peeling your squash and scooping out the seeds. You can discard those or keep for another use (they’re delicious roasted, especially for a snack or over a salad).
Then cut the butternut squash into cubes, toss with a little oil, salt, pepper and pumpkin pie spice.
Spread those chunks of butternut squash out onto a large sheet pan, with lots of room around them, so they roast up nicely.
After turning halfway through, roast a little more. When they’re done, they’ll look golden, caramelized and simply delicious!
Do I Have To Use Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Nope, not at all! You can simply roast the butternut squash with oil, salt and pepper. Alternatively, you can mix in your favourite herb.
Tips and Variations
- Try to cut your cubes of butternut squash roughly the same size so they cook around the same time.
- If you enjoy sweet and savoury combinations, you can mix in a little ground cayenne pepper or smoked paprika.
- A homemade pumpkin pie spice was used, but you can use store-bought.
More Yummy Recipes
Stay tuned for an upcoming recipe using these roasted butternut squash cubes.
If you make this oven-roasted butternut squash recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Roasted Butternut Squash Cubes
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1-inch or so cubes (weight will be a little less after peeling)
- 2.5 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, after you've peeled and removed seeds from the butternut squash, cut into cubes, about 1 inch or so.
- Place squash into a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, pumpkin pie spice, salt and black pepper.
- Rub the remaining ½ tablespoon of avocado oil onto a large sheet pan to grease. Place squash onto sheet pan and spread it out in a single layer.
- Roast squash 30 to 40 minutes, turning halfway, or until tender. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!