This easy buffalo chicken dip recipe is pretty much a classic and for good reason! It’s creamy, cheesy and packed with lots of delicious flavours from ingredients like cream cheese, buffalo sauce, chicken, blue cheese, dill and mozzarella cheese. Buffalo chicken dip is perfect for weekend eats, parties or game day, and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
I made this dip just this past weekend. Hubby, my brother, and sister-in-law went out for dinner and drinks at a local place (a little tradition we do this time of year).
Later when we returned home, I broke out the dip and it was a hit! We played a board game, munched on this and had a little laugh. Don’t you just love getting together with friends and family over good food?
And a good dip? I just can’t resist, especially buffalo dip. I’m kinda a spice fanatic, always trying new hot sauces and spicy food. Granted, this dip is not overly spicy (in my opinion), but it’s incredibly tasty and it’s amazing how fast it disappears.
I can just make a whole meal out of bits and bites, like dips and other appetizers. I just love it! You too?
What makes this buffalo chicken extra tasty is that there’s blue cheese and dill mixed into the dip, and it’s topped with a plenty of shredded mozzarella cheese (meaning cheesy goodness). Buffalo chicken dip with cheese and dill is where it’s at!
Want to try a meatless version? Check out this vegetarian buffalo dip!
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Dip
There’s absolutely no complicated ingredients needed for this cream cheese based dip. All you need is:
- Cream cheese
- Buffalo sauce (use your favourite variety!)
- Ranch dressing (or sour cream, but I love the flavour that ranch dressing brings to the dip)
- Lime juice
- Seasoning (dill, crushed red pepper flakes and black pepper)
- Cooked chicken
- Blue cheese
- Mozzarella cheese (or use cheddar cheese)
- Chives or green onion
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- In a food processor, combine cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, lime juice, dill, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Process the cream cheese mixture until combined and smooth.
- To cream cheese mixture, add cooked chicken and blue cheese.
- Use the Pulse feature on your food processor to blend in the chicken and blue cheese. Don’t blend too much because you still want some texture.
- Transfer the buffalo chicken dip to a baking dish, then top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until the dip is heated through and the cheese has melted. Then top with some finely chopped celery and chives (or green onion), drizzle over some more buffalo sauce and sprinkle with a little dried dill. Now it’s time to devour!
Do I Have to Use Blue Cheese?
Not at all! I just love the funk of blue cheese, but if you don’t, feel free to leave it out. This buffalo chicken dip will still be delicious!
Can I Use Turkey Instead?
Absolutely! Buffalo turkey dip would be awesome as well. If you have leftover cooked turkey from another meal, use that instead of the cooked chicken.
Make It Spicier
As I mentioned, I don’t find this dip too spicy (because I love spice). And, the variety of buffalo sauce you use can impact the overall spice level of the dip.
However, if you want things spicier, you can certainly mix in some ground cayenne pepper to taste.
What To Serve With It
Buffalo chicken dip goes well with so many things. Some favourites are:
- Veggie sticks (like carrot, celery and bell pepper)
- Tortilla chips
- Toasty baguette slices
And, if you want to take the dip to another level, try stuffing mini bell peppers with it!
More Easy Dip Recipes
If you make this buffalo chicken dip recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
This buffalo chicken dip recipe was originally published December 16, 2015 but has been updated.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes (a 250 gram package)
- ½ cup buffalo sauce, plus more to drizzle over the baked dip
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from about 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (dill weed), plus more to taste for optional garnish
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces or shredded
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese, omit if you aren't a blue cheese fan
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or cheddar cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons chopped chives, or green onion
- ½ rib celery, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor combine cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, lime juice, dill, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Process until smooth and creamy.Note: If you want less dill flavour, you could use ½ teaspoon less.
- To processor, add cooked chicken and blue cheese. Use the Pulse feature to blend in. Don't overmix because you still want some texture.
- Transfer the dip to a baking dish, then top with shredded mozzarella cheese.Note: The baking dish I used was about 8-inch x 6-inch and had a 1 quart or about 4 cup capacity. Use something around that size.
- Bake the dip for 15 to 20 minutes or until the dip has heated through and the cheese has melted.
- Once baked, top the dip with chives, celery, a drizzle of buffalo sauce and a sprinkle of dried dill. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!