These oven-baked chicken drumsticks are so incredibly easy to prepare and are beautifully golden brown and crispy on the outside and moist and delicious inside. Seasoned with flavourful taco seasoning, they’re sure to be a family favourite!
Move over chicken wings, there’s a new kid in town! Seriously, though, these crispy chicken legs are such a fun way to mix up wing night. Including the little spritz of cooking spray, there’s only four simple ingredients.
Admittedly, when we do have wings in our home, I’m the one who goes for the flat (or wingette) part and hubby goes for the drumette part — ha, ha, no arguing over chicken pieces in our home! Just like when we roast a chicken, hubby always goes for the drumsticks.
Though, after making these oven-baked chicken drumsticks, I’m starting to think hubby may be onto something with the drumettes (and drumsticks). They’re so flavourful and meaty, and I just may have to reconsider my new favourite chicken piece.
And let’s not forget how inexpensive chicken drumsticks are compared to other chicken pieces, like chicken breasts and wings. I mean, winner, winner, drumstick dinner, am I right?
How To Make Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Here is an overview of how to make crispy chicken drumsticks in the oven (full details are in the recipe card below):
- Place cornstarch and taco seasoning in a resealable food-safe plastic bag. Seal and shake to combine.
- Open the bag and add half of the chicken drumsticks, seal, shake to coat and place onto a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Do the same for the remaining chicken drumsticks. Give them a little spritz with cooking spray.
- Bake the drumsticks.
- Partway through cooking, flip the drumsticks and give them another spritz with cooking spray. Continue baking until they’re fully cooked through. There ya have it, crispy chicken drumsticks ready to be devoured!
Do The Drumsticks Have to Be Covered?
Nope, not at all! Just place them onto the prepared sheet pan and bake. They turn a lovely golden brown colour that way.
When Are Chicken Drumsticks Cooked?
The chicken drumsticks should reach an internal cooking temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (check using an instant-read food thermometer — it’s your best friend here).
Having said that, I often find dark meat chicken is best when cooked a tad longer, so I like to cook chicken drumsticks to about 175 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit or so.
What To Serve With It
Like with wings, I love to serve chicken drumsticks with a sauce for drizzling and dunking. Some of my favourites are hot sauce, barbecue sauce and ranch dressing. What’s your favourite sauce to serve with baked chicken drumsticks?
More Yummy Chicken Recipes
If you make this easy baked chicken drumsticks recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- 2.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2.5 pounds skin-on chicken drumsticks, about 10 to 12 drumsticks depending on their size
- Cooking spray
- Chopped green onion, garnish to taste (optional)
- Hot sauce, barbecue sauce, and/or ranch dressing, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the cornstarch and taco seasoning in a resealable food-safe plastic bag. Close the bag and shake to combine.
- Open the bag and add half of the chicken drumsticks to the cornstarch mixture, close the bag and shake to coat. Once coated, place the drumsticks onto the prepared sheet pan. Repeat with remaining drumsticks. Lightly spray the drumsticks with cooking spray.
- Bake the drumsticks for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the sheet pan from the oven, turn the drumsticks and lightly spray again with the cooking spray. Return the sheet pan to the oven and continue to bake the drumsticks for another 25 to 30 minutes or until they're golden brown and crispy on the outside and fully cooked through (the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit when checked with an instant-read meat thermometer). I actually enjoy dark meat cooked a little longer, about an internal temperature of 175 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit or so.Note: To check the internal temperature of the chicken, insert an instant-read meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, all the way to the middle, without touching any bone, fat or gristle. Remove the thermometer from the chicken after checking the temperature.
- Serve the drumsticks as is or garnish with green onion and serve with your favourite sauce (hot sauce, barbecue sauce and/or ranch are all delicious options). Enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!