This vegetable curry soup with coconut milk and zoodles is loaded with warming flavours, veggies and perfectly grilled tofu. Garnish to taste with your favourite toppings for one belly satisfying veggie soup!
Today I’m sharing a super flavourful curry coconut soup recipe!
This vegetable curry soup has a rich coconut milk base, lots of zoodles (zucchini noodles) and grilled tofu.
This curry soup is quite relishing. There’s something about it that just hits the spot. It didn’t last long in our home. Hubby and I ate some right away and went back for more.
The tofu adds a lovely substance and the coconut base is really good.
Oh, and don’t forget a little squeeze of lime! It really brightens the dish (lemon works wonderful, too).
Why This Curry Coconut Soup is Great!
- With those zucchini noodles, it’s super fun to make (and eat).
- It’s chock-full of colourful veggies.
- Of course, it taste delicious!
How to Marinate Tofu and Grill Tofu
For the tofu, you really want to get some of that moisture out. I used, and recommend, firm tofu.
Cut the block in half and wrap in paper towels.
Place the wrapped tofu onto a plate and place something heavy on it, like a heavy skillet, to press some of the excess moisture out (you’re going to want to do that a couple of times, replacing the paper towels each time). Alternatively, you can use a tofu press if you have one.
Marinate in a simple mixture of soy sauce and sesame oil for about 10 minutes.
Then remove the tofu from the marinade and grill.
Cut into cubes and that part is done. So easy, right?
- Sliced chili pepper
- Chopped cilantro
- Squeeze of lime
- Hot sauce
- Sliced green onion
Tips for Making This Recipe
- This curry coconut soup comes together quite quickly, so I would suggest having all your ingredients prepped before you start to cook. It makes this move along smoothly and that way you can get this goodness in your belly faster!
- Full-fat coconut milk is recommended because it has such a rich, coconut-y flavour. If you want to lighten things up a bit use light coconut milk or cut the full coconut milk with water (half coconut milk, half water).
- You could use more or less crushed red pepper flakes (or none at all), depending on how spicy you like your food.
More Easy Curry Recipes
If you want to add a little something to serve alongside, grilled naan would work wonderful. Dip into the broth and you are set for a train to flavour town!
If you make this curry coconut milk soup, be sure to leave a comment below!
Vegetable Curry Soup With Coconut Milk and Zoodles
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce, use gluten free if needed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Zucchini Noodle Curry Coconut Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced (or one small onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (like baby bella or white button)
- ½ bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk, a 400 millilitre can
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 zucchini, spiralized and cut to desired length
- 3 cups baby spinach
Garnish and Serving Ideas (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced chili pepper
- Make the grilled tofu: Cut tofu in half (horizontally), wrap in paper towels and place onto a plate. Place a small, heavy pot over the block of tofu to press some moisture out. Leave 5 minutes and repeat once more. Remove paper towels from tofu and discard. Place tofu in a shallow dish
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and sesame oil and pour over tofu. Turn tofu so that it gets the soy sauce mixture all over and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Remove tofu from soy sauce/sesame oil mixture and grill for 5 minutes on each side. Cut into small cubes, place onto a plate and set aside. Reserve marinade.Note: If you don't have a pan with grills, you can totally use a regular pan here.
- Make the soup: Heat coconut oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Once coconut oil is melted, cook shallot, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, curry powder, chili flakes, salt and black pepper, and cook 1 minute.
- To mixture, add coconut milk, veggie broth, mushrooms, bell pepper and reserved marinade. Stir. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and grilled tofu and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in baby spinach and cook about 1 minute until just wilted.
- To serve, divide soup into bowls and garnish to taste (if desired) with cilantro and chili pepper. This soup is great served with a squeeze of fresh lime juice over top. Enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!