This Curried Carrot Soup is chock-full of goodness from plenty of carrots, sweet potato and creamy coconut milk. Comforting and delicious, this one will warm ya right up on a cold day!
This creamy carrot soup recipe was originally posted in July of 2015, but has been updated with fresh new pics, text and small tweaks in the recipe.
What’s up? Did my fellow Canadians have a nice Thanksgiving? The next big thing for us is Halloween. How do you feel about Halloween?
It’s lovely seeing all the kiddos in their costumes. However, when that doorbell rings it drives fur baby absolutely bonkers; therefore, it drives me bonkers.
I could put some treats in a bowl and say ‘take me’, but we all know that would never work. And I always tell myself lies around Halloween, like ‘Dawn, you’re being so productive buying these treats early.’
Reality? I buy them early and eat most of it before October 31st and then have to buy more. Every year. You too?
Anyway, onto this easy carrot soup, shall we?
Do you know that this curried carrot and sweet potato soup was the very first recipe I ever posted on Girl Heart Food? It was July of 2015. Where does the time go?
I decided to redo the recipe with a couple minor tweaks and retake the pics. Plus, I tweaked the recipe the tiniest bit. I removed the butter and honey, for example, and used coconut oil instead of olive oil to give it a little more coconut oomph.
Plus, the lemon at the end? Just completely brightens the whole dish up!
How to Make This Curried Carrot Soup
Like most of the soups you’ll find here, this creamy carrot soup recipe is pretty easy to prepare. Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Cook onions for a bit in coconut oil with a touch of salt and pepper
- Add aromatics, like garlic and ginger, chili flakes and curry paste
- Next goes vegetables, broth and coconut milk
- After veggies have softened, blend with an immersion blender (one of my favourite small kitchen appliances)
Stir in a touch of lemon juice to brighten (I highly recommend this). So good!
- Garnish and enjoy!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Soup Garnish Ideas
You know I love me some garnish! For the finishing touch, I reserved about a tablespoon or so of coconut milk and made a pretty little design on top (totally optional, of course).
After you have the soup portioned, using a spoon, drop a few droplets of coconut milk on top of the soup. Then, using a wooden skewer or toothpick, gently drag through the coconut milk to create a little design.
Other delicious garnishes are:
- Thinly sliced chili pepper
- Greek yogurt
- Crispy chickpeas
What to Serve with This Soup
- Hunk of crusty bread
- Mixed green salad
- A simple sandwich, like a grilled cheese, tomato or curried chickpea salad sandwich
More Tips for Making the Best Carrot Soup
Don’t have coconut oil? Use olive oil instead
Full-fat coconut milk is my fave to use. It has a lovely richness. If you prefer to use a light variety, that’s okay too.
Cut your veggies small! It speeds up the cooking process so you can be enjoying this soup faster.
Not a huge fan of spice? Omit the chili flakes. Or, if you are, add more!
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Leek Soup with Cheddar
- Vegan Broccoli and Spinach Soup
Hope you love this curried carrot soup recipe as much as we do!
If you make this curried carrot and sweet potato soup, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed! Thank you!
Curried Carrot Soup (with coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger , peeled and minced (about a thumb-sized piece)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper powder, optional)
- 2 tablespoons curry paste or curry powder
- 6 carrots , peeled & cut into small slices, about ¼-inch thick
- 1 sweet potato , peeled & cut into small cubes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 13.5 ounces full-fat, unsweetened canned coconut milk (about a 400 millilitre can. Reserve about a tablespoon for garnish if you like)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cilantro , chopped (garnish, optional)
- Chili pepper , sliced (garnish, optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Once coconut oil is melted, add onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and ginger and cook about 1 minute. Add chili flakes and curry paste, stirring to combine and cook 1 minute.
- Add carrots, sweet potato and broth. Stir. Bring to a simmer, reduce to a medium simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Add coconut milk (reserving about 1 tablespoon, if desired for garnish). Cook, covered, an additional 10 minutes or until carrot and sweet potato are fork-tender. Turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Portion into bowls and garnish (if desired) with reserved coconut milk, cilantro and chili. Enjoy!Note: If you want a looser or thinner consistency, add a little more vegetable broth and heat through.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.