This Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with coconut milk is one of my favourite recipes! It’s easy to make, absolutely delicious and good for you. Plus, it’s vegan and gluten free. It’s flavoured with curry paste and coconut milk and then there’s a touch of lemon squeezed at the end to brighten the whole thing. This one will warm ya right up on a cold day!
What’s up? Did my fellow Canadians have a nice Thanksgiving? The next big thing for us is Halloween. How do you feel about Halloween? I have a like/not like relationship with it. It’s lovely seeing all the kiddos in their costumes. However, when that doorbell rings it drives fur baby absolutely bonkers….therefore, it drives me bonkers. I could put some treats in a bowl and say ‘take me’, but we all know that would never work. And I always tell myself lies around Halloween—>’Dawn, you’re being so productive buying these treats early.’ Reality? I buy them early and eat most of it before October 31st and then have to buy more. Every year. You too?
Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Do you know that this Curried Carrot Sweet Potato Soup was the very first recipe I ever posted on Girl Heart Food? It was July of 2015. Where does the time go? I decided to redo the recipe with a couple minor tweaks and retake the pics. Plus, I tweaked the recipe the tiniest bit. I removed the butter and honey, for example, and used coconut oil instead of olive oil to give it a little more coconut oomph. Plus, the lemon at the end? Just completely brightens the whole dish up!
How to Make Curried Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
Like most of the soups I make, this one is pretty easy to prepare.
- Cook onions for a bit in coconut oil with a touch of salt and pepper
- Add aromatics, like garlic and ginger, chili flakes and curry paste
- Next goes vegetables, stock and coconut milk (I love full fat)
- After veggies have softened, blitz with an immersion blender (one of my favourite small kitchen appliances) (if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can carefully blitz in batches with a blender).
- Stir in a touch of lemon juice to brighten
- Garnish and enjoy!
How to Garnish Soup
You know I love me some garnish! For the finishing touch, I reserved about a tablespoon or so of the coconut milk and made a pretty little design on top (totally optional, of course). After you have the soup portioned, using a spoon, drop a few droplets of coconut milk on top of the soup. Then, using a wooden skewer or toothpick, gently drag through the coconut milk to create a little design. Other delicious garnishes are –
- Thinly sliced pepper
- Greek yogurt
- Crispy chickpeas
Tips for Making this Creamy Veggie Soup
- Don’t have coconut oil? Use olive oil instead
- Full fat coconut milk is my fave to use. It has a lovely richness. If you prefer to use a light variety, that’s a-ok too.
- Cut your veggies small! It speeds up the cooking process so you can be enjoying this soup faster.
- I always opt to use ‘unsalted’ vegetable stock. If you use anything otherwise, you may not need to add additional seasoning.
- Not a huge fan of spice? Omit the chili flakes. Or, if you are, add more!
Like this Curry Carrot Soup? You May Enjoy These too
- Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Leek Soup with Cheddar
- Vegan Broccoli and Spinach Soup
- Onion and Garlic Soup from the lovely Sarah at Champagne Tastes
I’m sure you’ll love this Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup as much as I do! Have a lovely food-filled weekend!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
P.S. If you think that this Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little PIN button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Curry Coconut Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil -or olive oil
- 1 onion -minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 piece ginger -thumb-sized piece, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp curry paste or curry powder
- 6 carrots -peeled & cut into small slices, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 sweet potato -peeled & cut into small pieces
- 3 cups vegetable stock -I used 'unsalted'
- 1 can coconut milk -reserve about a tablespoon for garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp cilantro -garnish, optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pencil chili pepper -garnish, optional
- In a small dutch oven or pot on medium low heat, add coconut oil and melt. To coconut oil add onion, salt and pepper and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- To onion add garlic and ginger and cook about 1 minute. Add chili flakes and curry paste, stirring to combine and cook 1 minute.
- Add carrots, sweet potato and stock to pot. Bring to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Add coconut milk (reserving about 1 tbsp., if desired for garnish (optional)). Cook, covered, an additional 10 minutes until carrot and sweet potato are fork tender.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blitz soup until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Portion in bowls and garnish with reserved coconut milk, cilantro and chili, if using. Enjoy!